Two Under 2

Going from One to Two... was it what you expected?

wildflower75wildflower75 member
edited August 2014 in Two Under 2
I have a 17 mos old and will be delivering #2 in Nov.
For those of you who have had your two for at least a few months now, please tell me how has the adjustment been from one to two?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

Going from One to Two... was it what you expected? 91 votes

Easier than I expected
17% 16 votes
Harder than I expected
21% 20 votes
Exactly what I expected and I was prepared for it
6% 6 votes
Special Snowflake
53% 49 votes

Re: Going from One to Two... was it what you expected?

• My oldest two were a bigger gap than yours but I was terrified of two under two. It wasn't bad at all.. Stressful at first yes but not killer #:-S
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Mine were 17 months apart. It was really hard but not so hard that we didn't want to try for 2u2 again. Looks like 2u2 won't work out this time. It's so worth the hard work.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • I said harder than I expected because all of it is in a way you know?  I mean in a way you think "this will be easier because I've done it before" and it is but it's also harder because you can't help but feel you aren't dividing your time equally.  

Mine are 19.5 mos apart and the first few months were tough.  DD was a sweet toddler but has a speech disorder and when DS was born had one word (dada) so we had some communication problems.  And DS had reflux so he cried a lot.  But now they are 3.5 and 23 mos and are best friends and it so worth it.  I wouldn't change it!  
  • I feel like going from 1-2 was a billion times harder than 2-3. When DD2 was born, it took me a solid 3 months to adjust and have that "I got this!" feeling, when DD3 was born (DD1 and 2 are 2.5 years apart, DD2 and 3 are 18 months apart), I had that feeling at around 2 weeks. 
  • It was easier for me to go from 1-2 than adjusting to our first. Some of that is because DD2 was an easier baby, and I was already sleep deprived and used to tiny people ruling my life. But it was still hard. More than twice the work, IMO. And I was recovering from a C/S after DD2, while I had had a natural birth with DD1. But you do find your groove, and it does get easier...until they are both toddlers, lol.
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Mine are 14 months a part. The first 3 months seemed pretty easy, but I did a terrible job pacing myself and when my dd was 3 months my body basically gave out. It took until 9 months for me to regain my health (such as it is) and during that time my dh got fairly bad depression due to exhaustion trying to pick the slack my being sick created. I think if I had listened to my body and either done less the first few months, or paid for some help, then the transition would have been as easy as I imagined it would be. Learn from my mistakes and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • It's too soon to tell for me- just had DD#2 a week ago. I'll be reading this board closely for tips and support :)
  • DS #2 is only a month old so I can't give you much insight.. But the first month has been very difficult. DS#1 is 19 mos and had started throwing tantrums all day to get attention. I SAH and am now considering going back to work bc it has been so difficult. I love my boys more than I can describe, but momma needs a break!
  • I'm only 3 months in - 15 months apart.  It was just as hard as I expected, I didn't expect baby #2 to be colic though. 
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Easier
    Granted we have a babysitter for 6 hrs
    DD 21 mo, triplets 5 mos
    DD was severe colic. . Screamed 12 hrs per day.. Bloody murder!
    This isn't so bad..

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I should add I am at home all day too

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• 1 month in with a newborn and 20 month old. It's as hard as I expected. But not miserable. My only major source of sadness/frustration has come from my c/s recovery, it's very hard with a toddler. But DD #2 is a happy baby and I have help with my toddler on most days. I can already tell they are going to be best of friends, and that's exactly what I wanted!

• My boys are 17 months apart. We're 4 months in and things are going easier than expected. I didn't really have any expectations and tried to just take every thing as it comes. Going with the flow and lowering my expectations was huge for me!

• mine were 16 months apart and i was so scared. maybe b/c i had low expectations things went better? ds 1 was always very gentle and careful around the baby. he went through a more aggressive phase, but now that my younger ds is 16 months i'm guessing a lot of it was developmental and not even related to baby.

one thing that helped is having a pile of books nearby -- i'd often read to ds1 while i was nursing, and then when i switched sides, he'd switch to the other side of me on the couch and we'd read the books on that side. i made sure to give him extra attention when the baby was napping,kept most of his routines the same (mommy and me class, outings, etc.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • chillypenguinchillypenguin member
    edited September 2014
    I voted special snowflake. For me, it was easier in some ways and harder in some ways than I expected. My girls are 19.5 months apart. The first 3 months were way easier than I was expecting. When DD2 was around 3 months, that's when DD1 started showing some jealousy signs. I think it was that the baby wasn't just sleeping all the time, she was now starting to have toys and play on the play mat. Throughout it all, DD1 still just loves the baby so much and wants to hold and kiss her all the time. One of the hardest things is that she doesn't realize how rough she is with the baby. But overall I'm really happy with the spacing and I think they will be really close.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"