Breastfeeding

Need pumping help

DD is just shy of 3 weeks old, I had to go back to work when she was just 1 week old. I started pumping as soon as my milk came in. But I only getting a total of 2 ounces during each session if that.

I breastfeed her when I am home but lately slacked during the night and have formula because I am so tired and exhausted from working 8/10 hours on my feet.

Also pumping at work is a challange. I pump right before I leave the house and then once around noon. I try to get another session in but most times I can not get it in. It's just me and one other employee. (I work in a resturant and I am the manager)

I know I need to either pump at night or BF. And try to get another pump session at work. Is there anything else I can do to get a better supply going?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need pumping help

• casey78 said:

First, congratulations on your LO! That schedule and these transitions are no joke. 

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but bf is all about supply and demand. Right now, you are establishing supply for the duration of your bf relationship. That means you need at least 10-12 good pumping or breastfeeding sessions every 24 hours. When LO is getting a bottle, you need to be pumping to replace that bottle. Otherwise, your body will get the message that the milk isn't needed and will just make less and less. 

To make your pumps count, make sure you are using a high quality pump (perhaps even hospital Rental given the early separation you have now). Pump 20 minutes each time. Play with settings and compressions.  Keep your food and hydration up. 

When you are together with LO, get her to breast as long and as often as possible. Wear her if you can. 

Every drop counts. 
    I have a Medea personal double electric pump. I know I need to pump more while at work (8am-430-6pm m-f). Sometimes it's not possible and I do it right as I get home.

More BF sessions and more pumping. Also at home after I BF I pump and get a little more.

• I am an exclusive pumper. For me consistency is the most important thing. Get on a schedule and stick with it, even on the weekend. I woke up at 4:30 every morning for the first 6 months. If you can't pump at work you have to do it in the middle of the night. Also depending on how long of a drive you have you could pump on your way to from work. It is easy if you have a hands-free bra. I know 20 minutes is the recommended length to pump, but I go for 30 min, that is how long it takes to empty my breast. When my milk was coming in I would pump while I was feed my DD formula. I would put he in my lap, with her head at my knees and put a pillow under my feet so she was at an angle. Like previous post said make sure you are getting plenty of water. Good luck, you can do it!
    TTC 12/2009 Me: 32 – Thyroid issues (on Levothroid)
    IUIs 1-3 with Clomid + Ovidrel + Gonal-F, BFNs
    12/11 went to a new RE and DH had another SA and was diagnosed with Varicoceles
    2/12 DH had Varicocele Repair
    BFP- expecting 08/19/13
    Daughter born 8/17/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your LO. I'm back at work now and I pump 3 times during my breaks. I then pump when she's gone to bed, I then wake up at midnight and 3am to pump too. So far I've managed to keep it up for 6 weeks. FYI, I'm also on Domperidone . Good luck.

• Otters have given good advice. You can rent hospital grade pumps from most babies r us stores. Try that for a few months while you are establishing your supply and be sure to pump to replace the feeding if you give formula. That is a tough schedule, kudos to you!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"