January 2015 Moms

Big ticket items!

So we are going to start our registry tomorrow. We are looking at 3 different cribs. If you have already got your big items (swing, crib,pack n play,high chair etc.) what brand did you get and where did you go to look at reviews? Let me know why you got the products you did.

Re: Big ticket items!

• MLC1990MLC1990 member
    edited August 2014
    We bought the Eddie Bauer Langley crib from target. I had to read the reviews strictly on target.com because it's only offered exclusively through them.

It had great reviews, was within our budget, and I loved the look of it.

We also made the decision after several recommendations from friends to skip the high chair purchase and go with the Bumbo seat.
  • Our crib, swing, infant seat, and pack and play are all Graco. Our convertible carseat that we use for DS is Chicco. Our high chair is Fischer Price. I mostly looked at reviews on Amazon. But honestly I just picked what I liked and as long as it had higher than 2.5 stars i was set.
  • Loading the player...
  • Crib- IKEA, great deal and it's held up great for DD
    Swing- mamaroo
    Stroller- Bob, originally had a baby trend and hated it
    Play pen- graco pack n play
    High chair- safety first, its one that sits on a regular chair and we love it, it takes up way less room then a conventional high chair
    Car seats- graco bucket seat and britax convertible
    Other more expensive items- ergo, Aden and anais sleep sacks, and bumbo
    We are lucky we already have most big ticket items from DD. 
  • Oh our stroller is a BOB and DS loves it. Its the only stroller we have that he is completely content in.
  • MLC1990 said:
    We bought the Eddie Bauer Langley crib from target. I had to read the reviews strictly on target.com because it's only offered exclusively through them. It had great reviews, was within our budget, and I loved the look of it. We also made the decision after several recommendations from friends to skip the high chair purchase and go with the Bumbo seat.
    I have to chime in and say that the Bumbo seat is great for assisting babies ages 4ish-8ishm to sit up while they are on a solid surface like the floor. We used a similar one for supervised play time.  There isn't a safe way to strap the seat to a chair, and if you are planning on skipping a high chair in place of a Bumbo, which is how I read this, that is extremely unsafe. Bumbo seats, at least the ones I'm thinking of, should not be placed on a chair because they can't be secured to the chair. Space saver high chairs (is that maybe what you meant?) without the legs that can be tethered to the chair are actually safe bc the baby is strapped in.
    And in all actuality, baby's thighs can also get chubby and  many outgrow their Bumbo seats while they will still need a place to sit and eat. We just moved my 2 y/o to a booster a few months ago from a high chair. 

I'd look into this. We use it as a travel booster and it's not that expensive but also has a way to strap to a chair.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Amazon had tons of reviews, Lucies List and Babies r Us for reviews. Those were good places to start then I went to the store and looked at everything in person to make sure I really liked it. FWIW The Chicco pack n plays are more expensive but felt SO much nicer/sturdier in person. So we went with the pattern we likes and our pack n play, high chair and car seat are the Chicco solare pattern. Swing and bouncy seat are Fischer price. Stroller is Baby Jogger City Select (not a joggingm stroller, that's just the name of the brand).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our crib was Babi Italia from BRU. It has held up well.

Car seat is Graco Snugride 35 - no complaints. Then we got the Britax Marathon when he was around 12 months. Maybe younger - I don't remember.

Stroller was a Graco one that we got hand-me-down. It's fine, but I was really wanting the City Mini GT. We're still thinking about a double stroller since we didn't have to buy a stroller for the first one.

DS loved the Snugabunny swing. DH called it "the occupier" because it would keep DS happy if we were eating dinner or something.

Beco Gemini baby carrier - loved it.
  • Most of my stuff is second hand from dd 1. We bought a Delta crib and dresser, because they were simple and easy on the wallet. I have zero complaints.

I bought a new carseat, a Chico Keyfit. I previously had a graco snugride. I really had no complaints about it, but I sold it about a year ago. I scored the Chico on clearance.

For strollers we have a snap n go, a city micro (which I found on clearance for $20) and a kidzaroo bike trailer. They're all fine. The snap n go is too easy to use for the first months. I am considering a joovy caboose sit n stand.

I bought an Ergo, and it was a waste of money. My daughter hates it. Maybe the next baby will enjoy it more?

I have a snugabunny swing and bouncer. These were great.

I bought a motorola video monitor. They have different models, and I can't recall the name of mine, but it sucks. It doesn't hold a charge.

I also purchased a Ameda Purely Yours breastpump with dd, but I lost it. I found a first years breast pump on clearance for fifty dollars, so I picked it up. Unfortunately, my insurance company doesn't cover these.

Most everything I bought was from recommendations, amazon reviews or because I found it on clearance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • And yes GET A BUMBO!  Its the one item we don't have that I wish we had.

Buy a used one if you can. We bought one and DS never used it. Ever. We tried and he hated it.
  • Oh and because of my above comment, I'm not anti-Bumbo. I'm just anti-Bumbo as a replacement for a high chair! It's just not safe. Or practical for using for a long period of time.
    We have one and it served it's purpose. I even would bring mine to our parent-child music class so that DS1 could see what was going on around him with the other kids and "play" the instruments. (Aka-drool on an egg shaker or gum a drum stick)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No crib or bassinet. (bedsharing.) No playpen.

swing-- borrowing a nice new fisher price from my ex and his wife. otherwise I would probably skip that too. They will also lend us the bumbo if we want, but I don't see the point-- had one with my first and never used it.

stroller-- I have a BOB jogging stroller and a peg perego skate with a jump seat. Might sell the peg perego and get a double BOB too, not sure. My son will be 3 so its iffy. I also have a maclaren triumph umbrella stroller. I def recommend the BOB and the maclaren. Not the skate, overpriced for what it is. You'd be better with a britax stroller instead. 

Car seat-- Peg perego primo viaggio in Paloma. I got it because of the creamy leather and it was the most expensive one and I felt like that meant it was the best ;D haha

high chair- a mcdonalds high chair :D (we also have a nice peg perego one but it's seen better days. gone through 3 kids.)

Others... a new ergo wrap for the newborn, and we already have an ergo, a moby wrap, and a dolcino woven wrap.

I spend a shitload on clothing. I need to be more careful. haha

• I don't recommend getting a bumbo, I was given two and ds only fit in it one week. We went to visit family for 3 weeks and by the time we returned he was too chubby to fit. I think that's one of those things that people just give you because they loved it and also it doesn't fit every baby. I also would never use it as a high chair, babies can tip themselves over and cause spinal cord damage. If you really want one I'd look for a cheap used one looker PP said.
  • Everything from our first is being reused bc we bought gender neutral. Crib is Delta from target, pack n play, travel system(stroller/infant car seat),swing and high chair are all graco(matching set) from Target. Also have a fisher price rock n play and a fisher price rainforest jumperoo. Everything has been used a ton and is still in amazing condition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just a note on chubby thighs and the bumbo....DDs thighs were too chubby to fit in her bumbo till about 4 months...then she got a little longer and her thighs slimmed out a little and she fit great until 9 months or so. We used it with a tray as a highchair with no issues. She was always supervised,  I would never be far from an eating baby at that age.
  • I used the baby bargains book that a friend sent me.
    Crib is baby cache
    Stroller/frame/infant seat are all baby trend
    Pack n play is Graco
    Swing and high chair are fisher price I think....
    Rock n play is fp too.
    Everything we have is gender neutral so we can use it again for this baby
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"