August 2014 Moms

Baby grunting

Hey ladies, coming out of lurkdom since I have time to post now!

DS will be 3 weeks on Monday, he's started grunting loudly in his sleep. He doesn't seem to have any other reflux symptoms but I'm wondering what it could be. It's loud enough to keep me up which sucks!

Thanks and looking forward to posting more!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby grunting

• I have a grunter too.  He was just diagnosed with reflux and a possible milk protein intolerance this week.  36 hours on Zantac and almost 24 hours on Nutramigen and there's less grunting.  Grunting and other noises during sleep is totally normal for the most part.

We moved DS1 to his room at 8 weeks because he was such a loud sleeper!  I'm waiting for this one to start giving me longer stretches at night and then we'll move him too.  Everyone seems to sleep better that way.

• A lot of newborns are just loud sleepers. Mine grunts a lot too, however it is usually before a poop ;) If he has no other symptoms I doubt it is reflux, but ask your pedi if you're concerned.
  • Loading the player...
  • LO is a super grunter. Any move she makes is followed or matched with a grunt. It's funny to me.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • LO is a super grunter. Any move she makes is followed or matched with a grunt. It's funny to me.

Same here! Haha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Another super gunter here! Moved her into her room, in the rnp, last week because I kept waking up

• My LO makes all kinds of strange sounds when sleeping like whimpers and grunts. Other times he is totally silent. Either way I'm constantly checking on him and the only way I can sleep is if someone else is watching him. 
  • Our little guy has slept in his room from day 1, but I can still hear his grunts through the monitor. He is a loud one! :)
  • MC03MC03 member

So just curious, is a tiny spit up most feedings normal? What about the occassional case where it all seems to come back up? DD mostly grunts when farting or pooping but I'm not sure if her spit ups are normal or a possible sign of reflux.

According to my pedi spit up after every feeding is normal. Spitting up a bunch at once is normal. Spitting up curdled milk or mucousy milk is normal. Spit up through the nose is normal. It's only if it seems to be very painful or if it is green that he said to call.

imageimage
  • @workmm01‌ have you thought about getting a breathing/movement monitor? I only sleep soundly when that thing is on, knowing it will wake me up if something happens.
  • @MrsDuarte8185‌ LO spits up and it comes out her nose a lot. She sometimes spits up a lot or it'll be curdled if she spits up later than just after a feeding. I was concerned about it coming out of her nose but she never was upset about it...they do give her the hiccups though which she always looks like she's more annoyed with those than anything.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Shiva14 said:
    @workmm01‌ have you thought about getting a breathing/movement monitor? I only sleep soundly when that thing is on, knowing it will wake me up if something happens.

Stuck in the box...sorry. I haven't looked into monitors much yet. It seems overwhelming with the selection, price range, features. Didn't know where to start, but I will check it out! Thanks!
  • Yup this! DD spit up all the time but never had reflux. DS just started a bit in the past few days. He's 3 weeks today
  • workmm01 said:

Shiva14 said:

@workmm01‌ have you thought about getting a breathing/movement monitor? I only sleep soundly when that thing is on, knowing it will wake me up if something happens.

Stuck in the box...sorry. I haven't looked into monitors much yet. It seems overwhelming with the selection, price range, features. Didn't know where to start, but I will check it out! Thanks!

We got the angel care used online for $20. I think it retails around $65.
  • @flip_flops… How do you successfully get your baby to take their meds? My liquid Zantac is everywhere and doubtful it all goes in (dropper in cheek method…) She is breast fed. Help?
  • @Erin0303‌ - Blow in LO's face after you squirt it in her mouth. That should make her swallow. You can also have the pharmacy flavor it which I forgot to ask for but will when we refill.

• Ours is a peppermint flavor (comes that way) and they can't flavor it differently. I will try blowing in her face for better success :) Thanks much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"