November 2014 Moms

Braxton Hicks

Hi everyone, I need opinions!

I'm 30 weeks with my first and since about 20 weeks I've had pretty frequent braxton hicks—pretty frequently meaning every 10-15 minutes consistently throughout the day for 10 weeks, no exaggeration.

They are not painful, just uncomfortable due to the tightening sensation and because my belly contorts in weird ways.

I've been to labor and delivery 4 times about this between 24-30 weeks; they've done fetal fibronectin (sp?) testing, checked my uterus for dilation, hooked my up to fetal monitors, gave me multiple shots of brethine to stop the braxton hicks, etc. There's absolutely no signs of preterm labor yet I keep having these frequent contractions.

My doctor and all the doctors at labor and delivery can't give me an answer and they're just brushing it off like it's no big deal. Should I not be concerned about this since there's no signs of labor? Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it?

Re: Braxton Hicks

• I'm not a doctor so all I can say is to go with their advice. If there's no sign of preterm labor, you should be fine. Uncomfortable, but fine.

I'm not sure what you want us to tell you.

Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Sorry this is happening to you. but yeah this is an internet board not the board of obstetrics
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry this is happening to you. but yeah this is an internet board not the board of obstetrics

We need this in a meme or gif.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• I'm just trying to see if this has happened to anybody else and kind of compare seeing as this is my first pregnancy, I'm not looking for absolute confirmation as I know I can't get that, obviously.

Lissydee, I haven't had any doctors recommend that to me but maybe at my next appointment (Mon) I'll mention that. My fluid intake has been average i think, I've been pushing water as much as I can, I'd say I drink anywhere from 80-100oz a day
  • I'm pregnant with our second baby and having BH quite often. I haven't timed them. They are pretty uncomfortable. I find that some sitting positions cause them more frequently. Sitting upright seems to help me. Also, tons of water! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. I am in the exact same situation at 27 weeks, feeling them just as frequent since about 22 weeks. 3 trips to L&D so far and they monitor and tell me it's not preterm labor...which is great, but definitely still scary to feel them all day long :(
    My doctor said everyone has them just not everyone 'feels' them. I can't imagine not noticing it though. He also isn't concerned and says we just need to continue monitoring cervix.
    It's been hard for me to trust the experts and just trust everything is ok. I am trying to but it took us 4 years of many failures and fertility treatments to get this pregnancy so I have trouble letting go of the worry of something going wrong.
    I hope these go away for both of us! Or that we can find peace with having to deal with them for the next few months.
    Hang in there!! You're not alone!
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing this too, but I'm so happy I'm not alone! Congrats on your precious baby and fingers crossed you make it full-term and get a healthy, happy little one!
  • I've heard people say they have irritable uterus...I'm not sure but maybe that could be it?
  •  I have them-but I'm on baby 6. I did get them with my first but not nearly so much as with subsequent babies. I also went overdue, despite the bh, every time.

For me, fluid intake really influences them, as well as physical activity. Sometimes it's my body saying, get off your feet mama! Like right now : ) I'm off my feet because I worked today and had them going all afternoon.

I'm glad you are keeping tabs on them and your docs are watching it. For me, they never did signal early labor, but everyone is different. I would keep a watchful eye on  them, but not worry too much since all your monitoring has been so good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"