Infertility
Options

Flying post IVF transfer

So I'm new here but have a question that I'm sure you ladies will be able to help me with...
If my 4th IUI doesn't work (trying to stay positive but realistic) we will move right into IVF. BCPs in September and the actual ER/ET in October. We already have a 10 day trip planned to Europe at the end of the month. What have you heard about flying post ET? From lurking I know a lot of you travel to get to your RE, anyone fly? If so, how long do they like you to wait post ET before flying? In looking at the calendar it seems ET would occur 3-4 days before having to fly.
I would hate to miss a cycle and wait til Nobember but at the same time do not want to spend the money on a round of IVF just to see it wasted. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
***pregnancy and loss mentioned***

Me: 31 DH: 31
Dx: unexplained IF
TTC since March 2013 
IUI#1 with OB: BFN (April 2014 - clomid 50mg)
IUI#2 with OB: BFN (June 2014 - clomid 50mg)
IUI#3 with OB: BFN (July 2014 - clomid 50mg)
IUI#4 with RE: BFN (August 2014 - clomid 50mg, ovidrel 250mcg, Crinone 8%)
IVF #1 with pICSI in November
ER 11/13 - 14R, 13M, 11F
ET 11/19 - 2 grade AA hatched blasts transferred
Beta #1: 58 - BFP!!, Beta #2: 140, Beta #3: 347, Beta #4: 931
First u/s 12/19 - baby measuring 6w4d with HR of 116
Second u/s 12/29 - baby measuring only 7 weeks, no heart beat detected
01/02/15 - misoprostol administered vaginally

Re: Flying post IVF transfer

• Options
    I haven't flown personally after a transfer, but I know that other ladies definitely have. Your RE may or may not recommend bed rest after, but even if he/she does, it is typically only 24 hrs (or 48 hrs at most). The main thing that comes into play is the beta. My RE does 9dp5dt (9 days after a 5 day transfer, it would be 11days after a 3 day transfer) - but this varies from clinic to clinic - I have seen as early as 8dp5dt or as late as 14dp5dt. I think you can wait to do the bloodwork when you return from the trip, but it could be extra waiting and it depends on how much the unknown would bother you. It doesn't seem like it would be that long of a wait though and the trip might be a good distraction (even without the wine). I don't think flying itself is any kind of risk to your chances. As I said, I did not end up traveling (bc my first cycle ended up getting cancelled), but I also had a trip planned - my RE said it was totally fine and I was going to be flying to Asia. It is more a matter of how comfortable you feel being far from home during that time, but you should also ask your RE in case he/she feels differently. Good luck to you! I hope you will get lucky with this last IUI and then it won't even be an issue.
    **warning**
    Me (31), DH (33), one furbaby (7) - unexplained IF 
    hysteroscopy and polypectomy 2/14
    IVF #1 3/2014 - cancelled (early ovulation)
    IVF #1.2  ER 5/16/14: 23R 18F -  freeze all (12) due to concern for late onset OHSS 
    FET #1 in June - delayed due to thin lining, 7/18 SET (7.5 mm lining) resulted in chemical pregnancy
    FET #2 in Sept - 9/4 transferred 2 CCS tested embryos (6.5mm lining)
    9/13 beta #1 - 400, 9/15 beta #2 - 950, U/S 9/22 one gestational/yolk sac - next up 9/29
    3 frozen CCS tested embryos remaining
  • Options
    I hope you don't end up needing to make this decision because your IUI works.

But if you do, I would be concerned about the timing of ET more than anything else. 3 days between potential ET and leaving for your trip doesn't give much wiggle room. What if you have to stim a little longer and your ER/ET happen a bit later? From following everyone here it sure seems nothing is set in stone with those calendars :)

I get very nervous about those kinds of things so personally, I would probably wait until after the trip to start the IVF cycle if it works with your RE. That way you can enjoy Europe without worrying about everything that goes along with it. But again, I am typically overly cautious :). Best of luck!
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
    Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
    Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
    Feb 2014- BFP
    March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
    Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is a very good point @mrs.ess! You have a few days of wiggle room, but not much. I guess you would have to be willing to take the potential risk of having to cancel the trip if things don't go as expected.
    **warning**
    Me (31), DH (33), one furbaby (7) - unexplained IF 
    hysteroscopy and polypectomy 2/14
    IVF #1 3/2014 - cancelled (early ovulation)
    IVF #1.2  ER 5/16/14: 23R 18F -  freeze all (12) due to concern for late onset OHSS 
    FET #1 in June - delayed due to thin lining, 7/18 SET (7.5 mm lining) resulted in chemical pregnancy
    FET #2 in Sept - 9/4 transferred 2 CCS tested embryos (6.5mm lining)
    9/13 beta #1 - 400, 9/15 beta #2 - 950, U/S 9/22 one gestational/yolk sac - next up 9/29
    3 frozen CCS tested embryos remaining
  • Options
    jencity9jencity9 member
    edited August 2014
    I was going to say the same as PPs. I think flying is probably fine... You'll have some cramping and stuff but sitting on a long flight is fine. But the timing of all that would give me anxiety. Even with estimated dates, you never know. I ended up stimming a fairly short amount of time which I somewhat expected, but it took an extra week on Lupron for me (long Lupron protocol) because my E2 took forever to go down. So for me I would have estimated ER at 7/28 and ET 3-5 days later but ended up ER was 8/5 and ET on 8/8.

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I was thinking about trying to shorten the BCPs too so I'm def going to ask my RE! :)
    Excellent point on the ever changing dates, I can hope that it's going to go as planned but we all know how that goes....
    ***pregnancy and loss mentioned***

Me: 31 DH: 31
    Dx: unexplained IF
    TTC since March 2013 
    IUI#1 with OB: BFN (April 2014 - clomid 50mg)
    IUI#2 with OB: BFN (June 2014 - clomid 50mg)
    IUI#3 with OB: BFN (July 2014 - clomid 50mg)
    IUI#4 with RE: BFN (August 2014 - clomid 50mg, ovidrel 250mcg, Crinone 8%)
    IVF #1 with pICSI in November
    ER 11/13 - 14R, 13M, 11F
    ET 11/19 - 2 grade AA hatched blasts transferred
    Beta #1: 58 - BFP!!, Beta #2: 140, Beta #3: 347, Beta #4: 931
    First u/s 12/19 - baby measuring 6w4d with HR of 116
    Second u/s 12/29 - baby measuring only 7 weeks, no heart beat detected
    01/02/15 - misoprostol administered vaginally

• Options
    Sounds like you already got lots of good answers - and I agree the dates are the biggest factor. I just wanted to add that my RE said it's totally fine to fly, and because I'm an anxious person, I also asked my Chinese Medicine Practitioner (they are waaay more cautious than Western docs) and she said it was totally fine too - as long as it wasn't a super long flight to Australia or England or something, lol. FX that you don't even have to worry about it. 
    30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 32yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

• Options
    LO95LO95 member
    Aside from the dates, I will be honest and say that I did not feel very good at all after egg retrieval and that lasted after egg transfer.  (I didn't feel bad from egg transfer, just the ER.)  Given that this would be your first IVF, I'd be careful about committing to much.  I will also say I didn't realize how emotional it would be. Just my two cents.

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

• Options
    We cycled out of town with our donor embryo cycle and flew home they day after our transfer. Flying is not an issue at all.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    While there is no medical issue with flying afterwards, like others have said, I also did not feel that great for days after ER. Basically it wasn't until 3-4 days after ET that I started feeling better. Personally, I would be concerned about the timing and your ER being a few days later than expected. If that happened, would you cancel/rebook your trip? Alternatively you can always convert to a freeze all cycle and then do a FET when you are back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards