2nd Trimester
Options

Baby's Name

My husband and I have struggled with naming our baby. Everything I throw out he doesn't care for. However, he doesn' t really have an opinion on what the name should be either. I'm not sure how to go about picking a name. Any suggestions?

Re: Baby's Name

• Options

If he keeps shooting down all of your suggestions, he clearly has an opinion.  Ask him to come up with a list of names he does like and see if any of them click for you.

In theory, you should both write down a list of as many names as you can think of and go from there.  You didn't say how far along you are but if you're in your second trimester you have plenty of time to come up with some options you like.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Picking a name was a terrible experience for me. I had tons of Ideas and my husband had none but he shot all my names down. One day he said what about this name? I liked it and he liked it and everyone was happy :) Keep trying and I am sure you will find something. It feels good when you do.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mc0113mc0113 member
    edited August 2014
    I printed off the top 1,000 names (I like less popular names, so I needed to use the full list) on the Social Security baby name list and had DH go through and highlight any name that he even remotely considered. You don't have to do 1,000 but even the top few hundred would help give you a better idea. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the great advise!
  • Options
    We were in the same boat w/ our second son. Every name I picked he would shoot down, but yet he couldn't come up with any he liked either. When the big day came, we still hadn't agreed on a name so I gave him a piece of paper w/ 4 names written on it (they were names he said no to originally but seemed to hate the least). I told him when he went to the nursery with the baby to choose one. I think it was a nice compromise because he was in control but they were all names that I wanted too.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I found a site that allows you to search by name meaning. DH gave me some words that he felt were important and then I gave him a list of the returning names. 

www.babynames.com

I actually got him to abandon the girl's name he loved for a new one!!! (It was a pretty name but it was a direct derivative from a name that his sister used for her daughter - a no-go for me)
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With our daughter it took us forever to pick a name! Sorry no suggestions to make it easier
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"