January 2015 Moms

Is it unrealistic or unreasonable to ask the hospital staff/nurse to take pictures?

Is it unrealistic or unreasonable to ask the hospital staff/nurse to take pictures immediately after the baby is born (the cutting of the cord, baby and mommy first meeting each other. Etc)? I don't want to burden my husband with it because I want him to be able to live in the moment instead of threw a camera lens. Plus it would be nice to have him in the pictures too!!! We're pretty asocial people and won't have anyone else in the delivery room with us. Last time I had my mom in there but she just causes extra stress plus this time she'll be watching my firstborn at home while we're in the hospital. Thoughts?

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• That's what I thought.
  • The nurse took a photo of dh cutting the cord because no one was there but then again dh was taking lots of pictures and chatting with the nurses so they wanted him to have a photo too. I don't think its reasonable to ask for more than that but dh was cutting the cord so he couldn't take a selfie if that, lol.
  • It truly depends on the situation. If it's a smooth birth and everything is going fine, then perhaps the nurse will even offer, but I would never expect it from him/her. Like PP said, she's there for medical reasons. We allowed nursing students in on our birth, so looking back, I could have asked them to do it. In the beginning, you could always say, "here's my camera, if anyone is able to snap some pictures throughout this, we would be very appreciative" so everyone is aware but doesn't feel obligated.
  • Agreed perfectly with @elleswarth‌.
    DH forgot to take pictures when DS1 was born, so we have exactly one from that entire day (him on the scale). I pestered him about remembering for a long time before DS2 was born, so he was snapping away as soon as he was born. It was an extremely slow day in L&D that day (only me and one other mom who gave birth hours before me), so I had every nurse in there when he was born. One of them grabbed the camera and got some great pictures of all three of us the first time I held him. I absolutely love them, and am so grateful that she did that--but would not expect them to typically do that for every birth. Hope you get some special pictures!
  • I'm getting hubs to video record the birth because id rather have him busy. I don't like to be touched or bothered in labour, and got annoyed when he was trying to be helpful. ;)
  • LaBellaVidaLaBellaVida member
    edited August 2014
    Yes. They've got a job to do that doesn't involve picture taking.

My husband took the pictures.
    After everything was over, baby was checked, I was cleared and everyone left, the nurse offered to take a family picture of us.
    I probably would have asked after everything was completely over, but thankfully she offered.

I don't think asking after all said and done is unreasonable, but Def. During the moment and within 30 min to an hour after is. It's s really busy time.

Eta: that's if all goes well too.

• When I had my son, the nurse was extremely busy helping the midwife with the delivery. There was absolutely no way she would have been able to take any pictures.

Maybe ask another family member? Or hire a photographer? and use Hubby only as a last resort if you can't find anybody else

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• You can always ask, but the staff duties have to come first... taking care of baby is the priority. Some nurses will, some wont... its luck of the draw there. You could check ahead of time with the hospital/unit. Doula?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We were lucky with our daughter bc the anesthesiologist during the c section grabbed our camera and started snapping lol. We wouldn't have any otherwise, we were both freaked out and really overwhelmed.
    I do agree that you can always ask but don't be surprised if they say no since they might be busy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH took some pics immediately after my c/s of my daughter and of me holding her, but *someone* did take a picture of all 3 of us before we were wheeled out of the ER. Not sure who, but I'm guessing they volunteered and it was after all was said and done.  
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• The hospital where I will deliver has already given me their photography policy.  You could ask if yours has something similar.  It may address this.
  • When I had DS, the nurse just took the camera and started taking pics. As an L&D RN, I've taken pics and there has been many times where I couldn't possibly. It all depends.
    Me: 31 DH:36
    DSS: 15 DS: 7
    DD born 1/3/15

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your question has me envisioning me asking my good friend who is a L&D nurse to take pics because my husband is too busy.

I am seeing her today and won't even ask the question hypothetically because I don't see it going over well...as in full volume 10 minute diatribe. She is from Jersey and has a voice that can fill the room.

You may not get that reaction from all nurses and it would very likely depend on the situation. I would wait for them to offer and not make plans that depend on the medical staff acting as photographers.
  • Btw my experience hiring a birth photog was amazing. I honestly forgot she was even there.
  • Thanks for all your thoughts. I probably won't ask but will keep a camera close by. Turns out my husband did take the one really good photo I have of my son on my chest. It was a shot from behind so I never really knew who took it. He just told me he hurriedly grabbed the camera from my mom because she "couldn't figure it out". Geesh, she's so ridiculous....I'm in labor and I have to comfort her anxieties about using a high tech space age electronic device!!! She's so dumb sometimes. I think I make her nervous because she knows how much into pictures and scrap booking I am and she was afraid I would have been disappointed. Once we were on vacation in Canada visiting Niagara Falls and a couple asked her to take their photo. She looked at me and I thought she was going to cry!!! She ended up telling them I was a photographer and it would be better if I took the photo! I'm totally NOT a photographer. She's such a dork. Thanks for letting me vent!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"