daughter fighting bedtime — The Bump
Toddlers: 24 Months+

daughter fighting bedtime

I have a 24 month old daughter who has been sleeping in a toddler bed for a long while now and i want ro say for about 6 mobths now she has been fighting her sad and I every night. Her nightly routine has been the same, same bed time at 8 pm, we have her nice quiet lullaby on in her room, we have a calming down time right before bed after dinner, but once we put her to bed..... if we don't rock her ..... she will scream for not just minutes but at least hours. And again this is not just a few nights or every now and then but it is every night. I have done the let her soothe herself to sleep but it gets to the point it is just horrible .... any thoughts please?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: daughter fighting bedtime

• Oh my gosh!  I so get it!  My daughter is 4 yrs old and did the same thing! 

I dont have any real advice on this one but was curious what others said. 

My child has always done everything on dates its so weird and funny. 

Potty training same thing.  We trained at 2'ish but she still wanted pull-ups here and there.  We started telling her at 3yrs the pull-ups completely go away and that's it.  As they dont make them for BIG 3yr olds.  We talked about it for 2 months and on her 3rd birthday she threw them all in the trash and screamed I am a BIG 3yr old today.  It was a cold turkey thing.

Same thing with her toddler bed.  She started telling us she cant sleep in her room because of the Green Frog. I have no idea what she was talking about.  We tried extra night lights, glow stars on the ceiling, a white noise machine, reading to her in her bed, even laying on the floor until she fell asleep holding one hand.  She would still wake moments later screaming. Nap time she had no issues just bed time. We even tried the blanket on the floor by our bed (friends suggestion) to see if she would prefer her nice soft bed over the floor.  Nope! 

We started again saying wow you will be 4 yrs soon and that's when 4 yr olds get to paint their room and pick out cool 4 yr old bedding because they sleep in their big beds.  What should your room be?  She painted her room a vibrant pretty blue and decorated it with a ton of Minnie Mouse stick on's.  Everytime someone came over that has not seen her room we made a HUGE deal out of it and told her to show them her big girl room.  On her 4th birthday she again said Mommy today I am 4 yrs old which means I have to sleep in my BIG girl bed.  She has been for the most part unless she is sick or had a bad dream.

This is working for us now.  However, I would not neccessarily suggest this age game.

Good Luck!

We caved in and gave up on the battle. It was becoming exhausting to both of us.  She slept with us peacefully and 6 months

• Yea she is scared of cookie monster. .. why I don't know.. I have done pretty much a lot of what you a have wrote. As far as sleeping on the floor, lights, books, etc. From what I read people are just saying it's a phase and it will go away but it's not with her and I am to the point of caving :/... we are getting another big girl bed this week letting her pick out her new bed set etc.. I mean for some I inderstand it's a phase but what about for some of the children that it's not :/
  • Loading the player...
  • My situation isn't exactly the same, but my DD tells me that she isn't tired for bed. Our answer to her is that you don't need to sleep in bed, but you have to lay in it. You can read books or talk to Scoutie (her stuffed dog she sleeps with). She usually lays in bed and looks at books  or sings and talks to her stuffed animals until she just falls asleep on her own.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

[Deleted User]
  • I have tried that route too she is literally it seams terrified if someone is not with her... which is odd because she has slept in her own bed since 1 month old.. she has a night light and everything.
  • Is there anything in particular she is afraid of? If it is ghosts, monsters, etc you could make a big production of "chasing" the monsters away with "monster dust" or such.

Sorry you are going through this...sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason as to what little ones do.

image"Lilypie">

afbabe398[Deleted User]
  • Oh, if it is just fear I got one for that!  I made up a pretty label and put it over the glade airfreshner bottle.  It says monster spray on it!  We spray it under the bed & in the closet before bed and the monsters go to sleep.  Not to mention it makes the room smell nice!  :-)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

afbabe398[Deleted User]
  • She is terrified of cookie monster and what ever else monsters there are... I am trying this tonight!
  • AFbabe, any luck with the monster spray?
    image"Lilypie">

[Deleted User]
  • FabulousMrsP.... actually it has been a nightly routine before bed and it is helping some!!!! :)) and she knows for sure she tells me it is time for monster spray every night and it is her job to do and she sprays where she feels is necessary