Breastfeeding

Pumping Times and Block Feeding?

My LC recommended that I start pumping to help draw out my nipples so we can hopefully ditch the shield eventually. It didn't occur to me when I was there to ask about how long to pump. Right now I'm trying to do once in the morning after his first or second feed when I have a good supply and once in the evening when DH gives him a bottle. In the morning, I am inevitably tapped out after 8-10 minutes. I use the let-down button after about 5-6 minutes, but I just don't see any more milk coming after 10 minutes max. Since DS has just fed, is it okay to stop after 10 minutes in the AM? Also, how long should the evening pump be since it is replacing an actual nursing session? And since he usually feeds off one side at a time all day, should I alter the way I pump/just pump one side in the evening?

Re: Pumping Times and Block Feeding?

• if you're pumping just to draw out your nipples so it's easier for your LO to latch, you probably only need to do it for a couple of minutes. you can also try smooshing your breast like a sandwich to help LO get a better grip on it, or try nursing with the shield on for several minutes, and then slipping it off. (more info: https://www.bfhomehelp.com/blog/nipple-shields-everything-you-never-wanted-to-know)

you're not going to get a lot if you pump after a feeding- maybe an ounce or two. i think stopping after 10 minutes is fine.

most people pump for 15-20 minutes. you're should pump for a little while after your milk stops flowing to see if you get a second let-down. i only ever pumped for 10-12 minutes, though, and never got a second let-down. it also depends on how much milk you need for your LO (for instance, if you're at work and need to get a certain amount of ounces for your LO's milk the next day, you may need/want to pump longer to get more and stimulate your supply).

you should always pump both sides at once. the pumps don't stimulate your breasts as well as baby does, so it's preferable to have the dual stimulation to help with let-down. (an alternative would be to pump one side while your LO nurses from the other side.)

• My LO only just stopped using nipple shields, and he'll be four months next week.  I never had a lot of luck with the pump in terms of lengthing the nipple to help him get a better latch.  Really I think he just got bigger, and opened his mouth wider.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried the breast shells? You wear them in between nursing sessions and they somehow help draw the nipple out. I had to wear one on one side for a while to help with a flat nipple.
  • Have you tried the breast shells? You wear them in between nursing sessions and they somehow help draw the nipple out. I had to wear one on one side for a while to help with a flat nipple.
    I had them with my first son, but now I'm reading they aren't recommended. :-/

• AmyG* said:
    shells are fine. Shields are the thing to worry about, cause for some they keep baby from getting enough milk and your supply may go down.  Some have good luck with using the nipple everter right before nursing as well.
    My LC told me the opposite. :-/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"