Trouble TTC
Options

natural IUI cycle follicle sizes

My IVF cycle got cancelled due to a small cyst so instead my RE and I have decided to do a natural cycle IUI (no medicine or trigger) if I ovulate. Both first response and clear blue tests this morning said that I am having an LH surge today. I called and arranged my IUI for tomorrow morning. So far so good. I then was seeing an OB/GYN today for another reason and she did an ultrasound. She said that I had one 15mm follicle on one side and one 13.5mm follicle on the other side. Are not they just too small to ovulate? Do I have any chances to get pregnant with these sizes? Should I cancel my IUI (insurance covers it actually and it only costs me $25 so there is no reason to cancel but in any case).

---- Siggy warning ------

Me 34 y/o  DH 35 y/o

IVF#1 (ICSI)-- April 2014-- MDL with BCP, 5R, 4 ICSID, 3dt with three embryos, 1 six-day freeze (2BA grade)-- BFN

IVF#2.1 (ICSI)-- August 2014: MDL without BCP-- cancelled

Natural IUI on 11/8 -- BFN

IVF#2.2 (ICSI)--Nov/Dec 2014: MDL without BCP, 5R, 1 ICSID, frozen on day 6 (grade 2BB)

FET #1: transferred two 5 (or 6?)day embryos on January 27. Beta #1 (2/4): 158, Beta #2 (2/6): 391 Beta #3(2/9): 1187 BFP! 

First u/s at 5w1d showed one gestational sac and yolk sac. Second u/s at 6w showed heartbeat at 102. Third u/s at 7w heart rate 145. EDD 10/15/2015

Re: natural IUI cycle follicle sizes

• Options
    Sometimes an OPK will start being positive a couple days before ovulation. Do you think your RE office would be willing to give you an ultrasound first to see if the follies look ready or starting to rupture, and if not, come back the next day for better timing? Or even do a back to back IUI?
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Hi. I would also ask for an ultrasound by the RE. Does the RE usually conduct an ultrasound before the IUI? Are you doing 1 IUI or B2B?

When I naturally surge my follicles are around 20-22 mm. I have big ass follicles....so far my big ass follicles have only resulted in BFN. Good luck!!! 

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My follicles will usually be bigger than that - 1.8 to 2.1. I'd do another us and consider waiting longer

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    This happened to me on a medicated IUI. My RE said that if your body is already trying to ovulate, you don't have any choice about the timing. When I went in for monitoring my largest follicle was 15.4, but my LH was surging. So they had me take the trigger shot that night and do the IUI the next morning. My RE's office doesn't do ultrasounds on IUI day but they swore up and down that the timing was right. My RE's office considers any follicle over 15 large enough to have a mature egg and they say they've seen (in IVF cycles) mature eggs in follicles as small as 12 or 13. He did admit, when I pressed him, that a follicle that's under 16 is less likely to contain a mature egg than a larger one, but he said he felt my overall chances of getting pregnant were only slightly lower than if the follicle had been larger, and still plenty high enough to justify going through with the IUI. Also my estrogen levels were high, which he said hopefully indicated the egg was mature.

Anyway my point is that yes, it would be better if your follicles were a little bit bigger - but if your body is already starting to ovulate there might be nothing you can do about it. Delaying the IUI could cause you to miss the egg altogether. I think it's better to get the sperm in there early rather than late. According to my doctor, the 15mm one has a chance. Oh and according to google, the ultrasound measurements are not always accurate - so there's that.
    Married in 2011, NTNP until early 2012, TTC since early 2012

My husband was diagnosed with state IV colon cancer in 2009. Surgery and six rounds of chemo left him in remission (yay!) but with low testosterone. He took Androgel for two years starting in Jan 2011.
    -SA in Jan 2013: big fat zero; stopped Androgel
    -varicocelectomy in June 2013
    -SA in Dec 2013: 23mil/ml, really low morph
    -SA in March 2014: Count doubled! Morphology apparently no longer an issue.

Treatments:
    April 2014: hysteroscopy
    June 2014: TI (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 2 folliclces) = BFN
    July 2014: IUI#1 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    August 2014: IUI#2 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 43mil post-wash) = BFN
    September 2014: IUI#3 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 2 follicles, 15mil post-wash) = BFN
    October 2014: IUI#4 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1-2 follicles, 12mil post-wash) = BFN
    November 2014: IUI#5 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    December 2014: IUI#6 (gonal-f/ovidrel): 2 follicles, 55mil post-wash) = ???

*all are welcome!*

• Options
    Thank you ladies. So I ended up asking for an ultrasound before my scheduled IUI today. (note: I had my LH-surge yesterday and tested and confirmed it three times). U/s showed no egg on the right where there was a 15mm yesterday so I assume that I ovulated! However, my lining was only 6mm (compared to 7.5 yesterday) which was disappointing. Given that 1) the released egg was less than 18mm (ideal min for IUI it appears), 2) my lining is 6mm (ideal is 8mm or above), and 3) we do not have any sperm issues, we have decided to skip the IUI and just BD this morning and tomorrow morning. I have no hopes for it to work but who knows maybe a miracle before we try IVF again next cycle? 

---- Siggy warning ------

Me 34 y/o  DH 35 y/o

IVF#1 (ICSI)-- April 2014-- MDL with BCP, 5R, 4 ICSID, 3dt with three embryos, 1 six-day freeze (2BA grade)-- BFN

IVF#2.1 (ICSI)-- August 2014: MDL without BCP-- cancelled

Natural IUI on 11/8 -- BFN

IVF#2.2 (ICSI)--Nov/Dec 2014: MDL without BCP, 5R, 1 ICSID, frozen on day 6 (grade 2BB)

FET #1: transferred two 5 (or 6?)day embryos on January 27. Beta #1 (2/4): 158, Beta #2 (2/6): 391 Beta #3(2/9): 1187 BFP! 

First u/s at 5w1d showed one gestational sac and yolk sac. Second u/s at 6w showed heartbeat at 102. Third u/s at 7w heart rate 145. EDD 10/15/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"