Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Tell me about what you do with child

Hello ladies! Just looking for ideas of things to do with my twins besides puzzles, reading books, coloring. I would appreciate anything you do. Tell me your daily routine. I want to have the sitter do some activities as well but I'm drawing a blank! Thanks!

Re: Tell me about what you do with child

• During the summer we go out a lot - otherwise DS will just tear the house apart.  In the morning, we go to library story time, play dates, different public parks, grocery shopping.  In the afternoon, we usually go out for a walk (so I can get some exercise), followed by time in the playground.

At home, i try to rotate toys so it's not the same ones over and over again.  DS likes to "clean up" by sweeping with the broom.  We read if he's in the mood.  In our yard, he helps water the plants, and makes himself all dirty by digging in the soil.

I recently hired a babysitter to come just once or twice a week for a couple of hours.  For that, I ended up buying a used train set, and only take that out when the sitter is here.  DS loves trains so he'll play with that the whole time I'm gone.  Also, DS tends to play with his toys more when his babysitter is here.

DS is still not into coloring or playdough or pretend cook.  I recently got him a kitchen and all he does is dump all the play food out and leave everything scattered all over the floor.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We go to the park sometimes or to the train station (he loves watching the trains!- my almost 2 year old that is). Today we are going to the zoo. We also go to the library (they often have toys in the children's area to play with and children's programs like story time and such. You can also go to the pool or to the mall and play in the children's play area or some areas have indoor play places too.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pretty much the same as everyone else, we go out in the am (storytime, zoo, sprayground, playground, errands, hiking/swimming hole, etc) come home midday for a nap and then she plays at home while I do chores. Throughout the afternoon and evening out activities overlap and I will play with her and her toys and she will "help" me with the chores.

She really loves doing what I am doing and gets upset if she can't participate. I try to find ways to get her involved as I want to teach her how to help out around the house while she is willing!

We have had mostly the same old toys since her birthday on March. I've added a latches board and a toy lawn mower and maybe one or two others but we mostly are playing with the same puzzles and stuf that she gets better at daily but still hasn't mastered. I don't do any rotations but she gets more excited to play with her sitters that come over to play with her while I work from home bc they tend to play with the same toys in different ways than I do so it is stimulating just to have another person around.
  • We try our hardest to get out of the house as much as possible. Indoor play is usually less structured for us than what you described, mainly because my tot loves to explore and come up with his own activities way more than to cooperate with nice sit-down play. If we are genuinely stuck around the house, we'll sometimes play in a bubblebath, read the same books 5 million times. As far as getting out of the house, though, here are some things we like to do: go to pool (indoor or outdoor), go splash around in fountain, take walks, stop over to visit relatives, storytime at library, open gym at ymca, indoor play area at mall, chik-fil-a with play area, run errands, visit parks further away for a change of pace, feed ducks at pond, terrorize the neighbors' dog AND we go to the gym 3 days a week so he can play with other kids in the free childcare while I work out and shower.
  • Play at home mom and fun at home with kids are my two favorite kids activity blogs.
  • DD is in daycare 2 days a week and the other 3 days are split between my mom and my MIL.  My mom takes DD out all the time.  She's busier in her retirement than she was with a full-time job and DD just tags along.  They make it to story time at the library at least once a week and then if mom is meeting her friends for lunch or shopping she'll make sure DD gets some playtime in the mall play area.  They take the dog for walks, hit the playground, and go to my mom's quilting guild together. My MIL takes DD to the pool in their neighborhood or out to lunch.  She doesn't like to drive much with DD so they don't go as many places.
  • edited August 2014
    We play w/ blocks & cars, do puzzles, read books, do art projects (colors / markers / finger paint / water colors / stickers), sensory play (play dough / jello / colored pudding / cooked pasta / Oobleck), nature walks, play dates w/ friends, go to the park, go for bike rides (w/ bike trailer), swim at the pool, cook together (he mostly watches), play w/ instruments, sing songs & do hand games, go to free music times & library story time...

We like to spend lots of time outside so we turned a chunk of our backyard into a "fun zone" w/ a play house, cozy coupe, trike, pool (ball pit in cold months), slide, climbing stumps, art table & small trampoline. Most of it free (gifts) or bought used for very cheap.

We can't afford classes at any of those kid gym places but Little Gym has a free community day 1x/mo that we always go to & there are several bounce-house places nearby we go to on occasion which my son LOVES! He could spend all day climbing & jumping off the walls!

Plus there's always the normal daily stuff which, of you don't rush it, can also be lots of fun! Going shopping at different stores, running errands, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My son loves to play outside whenever the weather is nice enough.  We have a sandbox and a slide, and my parents and in-laws have kiddie pools at their houses.  He could climb up and down the outside stairs for hours.  Inside, it's blocks, cars, ride-on toys, and newly (this makes me GLOW) he best likes climbing into my lap and reading together.  

He likes to run errands too.  He's a people kid.  He keeps one hand up anytime we're out and about, so he's primed to wave just in case someone walks by.  
  • We do storytime at the library. I take them on errands. My daughter loves Target and the grocery store. We make stuff for sensory play. So far we have made cloud dough, play dough and quick sand. This week we will be playing with cool whip, frozen and not frozen. She loves art activities. We paint. It's messy with a 1 year old, but so much fun. Bubbles are always fun. Target has bubble shooters on sale for $1.48 right now. My daughter loves hers. My 7 month old chases the bubbles while she shoots out the bubbles.

Our daily schedule just depends on the day. Mondays and Friday's are different every week because we have no planned activity. Tuesday's we get ready for storytime and go to the library at 10:30. After stories and depending on the weather we might feed the ducks or play on the playground. Then home for lunch and nap. The rest of the day depends on the moods of both kids. Thursdays are the same as Tuesday's. Right now our Wednesday's are spent at home. In the afternoon DH watches DD while I take DS to the hospital for his helmet checks. When we are all done with those appointments we will find an activity to do.

Google some activities in your area to find fun stuff to do. The cities in our area put together different free events to do throughout the year. For example, this fall one city does a Gain night where kids can check out all the emergency vehicles and play games.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"