Multiples

c section fear

I am currently 30w6d with triplets, and as my c section gets closer I am starting to have a lot of fears and anxiety. Is the spinal going to hurt? Will I feel anything? When will I get to hold my babies? I've spent so long worrying about losing these babies that I never worried about any of this. But now that we have hit a much safer place I am really starting to stress out about what it's going to be like, so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Re: c section fear

• Twins here:

I had an epi and tried to push vaginally and ended up with an elective c section. The epi was not painful going in for me. They numb the area first. The whole c section process was a piece of cake, recovery is a bit strenuous, especially with multiples, but I ended up taking Motrin instead of Norco, mostly for my cramps. As soon as your stitched up and the babies weighed and checked out I was pushed back into the labor room and got to hold them. They let me breastfeed both of them (Carter especially because his blood sugar levels were off and needed to go to the NICU. Though I would have loved to have them vaginally I wouldn't have changed a thing. After 2 weeks I felt great (unless I sneezed or coughed).

Good luck, momma! Good job keeping those babies cooking :)
    image    image    image    image

• I have a c-section fear too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had c-section anxiety even up until the actual surgery. I finally calmed down once I heard the babies cry. At that point nothing else mattered.

The nurses and anesthesiologist really helped in the room. Without their calming and reassuring words I would have been a lot more worked up.

Looking back on it, I think the anxiety was the worst part. I was worried about feeling pain, having trouble breathing, not being able to move my arms, and throwing up. None of that happened. The spinal wasn't bad, I didn't feel much of anything during, except for some people moving around down there. As soon as the babies were weighed and measured I was able to do skin to skin. That was really special cuz I didn't expect it, and didn't even think it was possible in the OR.

It did take longer than expected, but that may have been exacerbated by the anxiety.

It wasn't the ideal birth experience for me, but leading up to it was worse than the actual procedure. And it's now a distant memory.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• Thanks ladies!!!! I know a lot of it is in my head and just needed to hear from others who have been through it.
  • I haven't put much thought into it, and figured it will all work out. Baby A has been breech, and B has been transverse, so I was assuming a quick c section would be planned..... Until today. 31 weeks and now they are both head down! Umm....wondering if I should have taken a childbirth class?!

**** Ticker Warning ****

Me: 37, DH: 38 Married since 2005, TTC since 2007

IVF#1 February 2013 - 6R, 4M, 3F - transferred 2 day 3; 1 frozen - BFN

IVF#2 May 2013 - Menopur, Follistim, Ganirilex - 16R, 13M - freeze all eggs due to MFI 0% Motility day of retreival

FET September 2013 - 9 eggs thawed, 0 fertilized :( transferred frostie from IVF #1 - Estrace & PIO - BFN

**Change RE**

January 2014 - IVF #3 (Lucky #3?!)  ER 2/5/14 19R, 16M, 11F with PICSI.

2/10/14 Transferred 2 AA day 5 blasts <3<3, 5 Frozen - Estrace & Endometrim (which IMO is worse than PIO!!)

Beta 2/24/14 Beta #1: 2229, Beta #2: 3577 BFP!!

6 week u/s - TWO heartbeats <3

EDD 10/30/14

***** All Welcome *******

• edited August 2014
    Had a c with my DD and 16 mo later, a c with the triplets at 29w5d. Held them about 9 hrs later..went super fast..
    Never wanted a vaginal for either anyhow, but cs are great! Our whole family tends to have them.
    Recovered and was able to run 7 days after DD.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I had a section with my twins. They were iugr so induction wasn't an option for me. I was scared out of my mind.

The freezing before the spinal stung. The spinal was a ton of pressure which caught me off guard so for me it hurt but not terrible. I hated the freezing feeling. The only thing I could feel was lots of pressure from them tugging and pushing. I felt no pain.

Now I didn't get to see my girls for 12 hours after they were born but that's because they we're born at 34 weeks, had to go to the SCN and i was having BP issues so i couldn't go see them.

The recovery for me was terrible but it isn't for everyone. It took me a while to feel somewhat normal. Keep up with the pain meds and stool softener even when you think you don't need it anymore. I quit it after a week of being home and it sucked.

• Great thread! Also have c sect fears!
    First natural BFP June 2013
    Ectopic July 2012 with fallopian tube and ovary removal :(

First IVF (after 1 cancelled cycle) Jan 2014, 
    ER 1/16
    ET 1/21
    Beta 1/31 BFP!
    Beta 2: 400
    Beta 3: 700
    Beta 4: 11,000  
    Beta 5: 45,000
    1st US 2/18:  TWINS!!!  :)
    EDD: 10/10/14
    Delivered via c section 9/17/14, B/G twins

• momo twins here, but I wouldn't have changed it. For some reason b/c my pregnancy was so high risk (as I am sure yours is as well) when the day came, it was so calming and reassuring knowing that that was the ONE thing that was planned.
    The doctors and nurses are amazing as they knew I was nervous. There was no pain, and I was truly just focused on meeting me some healthy babies.
    The recover is not bad...just do what they say and get moving as soon as you can. I would say within 3-4 days I was getting around just fine, just a little sore. You are gonna do amazing!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I love this thread..... Thank all of you for giving your experiences. I have a long way to go till I reach the end, but I will admit that the idea scares me a little when I think about it. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • All you ladies have been so reassuring and helping calm my fears. We scheduled our c section today for Oct 2 (36 weeks). Only 5 weeks to go.
  • This thread was helpful to me too.  Our babies were vertex at the 35 week appointment, so I've been planning on a vag birth.  Yesterday, at 37 weeks we discovered that one of the babies turned breech, so now we're scheduled for a CS next week (Sept 5).  I'm bummed that I'm going to miss out on labor and my birth will be so clinical.  I'm also nervous about the aftermath and healing period.  Hopefully, I can use some of the tips mentioned here.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a fear of having a c-section as well. After reading through these posts I'm starting to feel better about it.
  • I had a csection with my twins at 38 weeks and I was also very nervous about it. I'd never had surgery or even ever had an iv before. It was so much better than I thought it would be. The spinal was really easy. The hardest part was curving your back over a ginormous belly and staying perfectly still. But I only remember feeling a little pinch and it was over. Then my legs went numb up to my armpits. The anesthesiologist was so comforting and helpful throughout the entire procedure telling me what to expect right before it happened. The one thing I wasn't expecting was how much pressure I would feel while they were actually delivering each baby. It didn't hurt but it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest for 10 seconds each time they took a baby out. I had to remember to breathe. I remember being a little cold during it too and shaking, but nothing too bad. They just put some warm blankets on me. When each baby was out the nurse brought them around the curtain for me to see before they were even cleaned up which was amazing to see. Then while they stitched me back up they brought both bundled babies over and layed them on my chest for a few mins to take some pics and let me cuddle them. The longest part for me was them stitching me back up. It felt like forever but my husband said it was actually really quick. Then they wheeled me into recovery where my babies and husband were and I got to immediately try breast feeding both babies. The recovery was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I didn't labor at all beforehand so I think that May have helped a little bit. I was feeling fine and normal about 2 weeks after. Good luck and just try not to worry too much! Everything will be great and you'll just be so excited to meet your little ones that you won't think about it!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't read previous posts (trying to take advantage of both babies sleeping at same time!). But my c/s (almost two weeks ago) was not bad. The spinal did not hurt at all. I only felt tugging no pain during the procedure. When the girls were born they first brought each to my face for me to kiss and then they took them aside for a few minutes and DH was with them. DH got to hold them right away and I had them on my chest doing skin to skin and trying to nurse before I left the OR. In the recovery room, I did skin to skin and the nurses helped me nurse while other nurses attended to my nether regions. The first few days were hard b/c of decreased mobility but every day got easier and now I am moving normally. My biggest recommendation would be take all your pain meds and make sure they give them to you on time.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had a reaction to something they gave me, so my experience isn't the norm.

I had to walk into the OR and my husband waited outside while I got the spinal. I was so scared I was physically shaking and couldn't talk. They were yelling at me saying I HAD to state my name and what I was having, even though I was whispering it to the nurse next to me. She yelled back at them haha.

I didn't feel any pain--just a lot of pressure. Right before they pulled baby A out, it felt like an elephant was on my chest then she was out. 3 minutes later my son was out. I had them in my arms from the OR into recovery but I was so out of it I didn't even know it.

Recovery was easy once the medicine was out of my system. It was like my head was in a cloud and I finally was able to see and understand what was going on.

I took Tylenol and only ocassionaly took the stronger meds at the hospital. Once I was home I didn't take much of anything. I was up and walking around a lot at the hospital. We went to Target the day we were released and got a few things.

As others stated, the anticipation is the worse part. If I didn't have a reaction, it would have been a breeze.

I was going to try a vaginal birth if I went into labor, but I made it to my csection date. Baby B had his cord around his neck and I thought it was a safer alternative for the babies. I'm glad I had the section and will have one for any future children.
  • @dal2aus‌

At my hospital, all multiples are born in the OR so I think either way it will feel clinical. I do regret not going through labor and experiencing what women do with a vaginal birth, but I just remind myself the safety of the babies comes first.

Once you hold them in your arms, it won't matter how they came into the world. All you'll be thinking is "oh my gosh, they are beautiful!" and "look what I did!"
  • I delivered via c-section with twins at 34 weeks, 2 days (my water broke and contractions started). I was freaked out thinking about it in the weeks up to it (Baby A was breech, and I really wanted to do it vaginally). My doctors were wonderful, and explained everything to me before we got in the OR, and then as it was happening in the OR. 

The spinal was a pinch and a slight burn, and then from my toes up got very tingly (like they were asleep) and warm. During their delivery, I felt tugging, but no pain at all. It was wonderful to hear their cries, and DH got to hold both of them before they were taken to the NICU. 

After being in the recovery room, I got to go visit them and hold Peter.

Overall, it was a lot less scary than I thought, my recovery is going well, and the twins are doing great!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The spinal did not hurt, the only pain I felt was after when they checked for blood clots. I was extremely nervous but my nurses and DH were so great in calming me down! I did not get to hold the babies for quite a while, they had to go to the NICU for a few hours. I did see them and kiss them right after they came out though, DH brought them to me. They sort of strap you down so you can't hold them right away. It's hard not to be nervous for yourself and the babies, maybe try to do some positive visualization? I hope all goes smoothly for you and on the positive side, having your c section scheduled is better than having to do an emergency one it gives you time to prepare mentally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just had my c section last week. I wish I could say what the pps said about it not hurting, but I cannot. However, I can say that the pain only lasted about 10 sec (although at the time it feels longer). I did not get to hold my girls but I did get to see them immediately and then the nurse took me to them as we were going back to my room and I got to touch their sweet little hands! I was so exhausted (and drugged more than likely) that it was enough for the moment! Not holding them immediately was rough, but so worth it when I could.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"