Toddlers: 24 Months+

Recommendations for toddler travel bed (for LO still in a crib)?

We haven't been out of town in quite a long time, but I know that DD (2.5yo) won't sleep in a PNP anymore. We are going to stay with family for 10 days and need a comfortable and safe place for her to sleep. She has always been in a crib, so I'm nervous about giving her something that she could get out of, but I guess that might be the only option. Has anyone tried either a toddler air mattress with raised sides, or the Peapod travel bed? Any other ideas?

Re: Recommendations for toddler travel bed (for LO still in a crib)?

• We have the peapod plus that we use for camping in our trailer and my LO (34 months) sleeps great in it. But, he also sleeps in a pack n play at my parents house with no problem. He's on the shorter side but curls up in both so it doesn't matter much.  Only thing about the peapod is that the nylon bottom could be loud if your LO is a restless sleeper.  
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have the blow up toddler air mattress from bbb and it works great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would second the looking into a rental crib if he's never done it before. We had a lot of success though with the folding travel cot from Regalo. It collapses like one of those chairs in a bag and it was low enough to the ground to keep DD safe. The first time we used it we wedged it in a corner and used the ottoman in the hotel room as a third side so that only the bottom part was open.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @theresat858‌ @iuplori‌ Unfortunately a rental crib is not an option. We are thinking of trying the peapod plus and padding it with some blankets to muffle the sound.

• We recently traveled with my 2.5 year old who is also still in a crib and has only slept in PNPs on vacation. We ended up reserving a PNP at each of our destinations, just in case, but he mostly slept in regular beds. We made a little 'nest' for him in the bed. We used pool noodles or pillows on the sides of the bed to keep him from falling off and also making it feel a little more contained or 'crib-like'. We also brought a few of his favorite blankets from home so it seemed familiar. He never tried to escape, he would just yell for us if he needed something like he does in the crib. It was surprisingly easy and he had no problem transitioning back into the crib when we got home. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We went on two trips this summer. The first I rented a crib and DS who is normally my 12+ sleeper freaked! He screamed every time I would get near the crib. The next trip the hotel only had a PNP and I was so nervous thinking if he wouldn't sleep in a strange crib surely I was doomed with the PNP. Surprisingly he did MUCH better in the PNP. The only thing I can contribute to the sleep issue was the crib trip DS was in the same room as me where as trip #2 I was able to book a suite and put him out in the LR area. GL- I know traveling with a LO can be stressful!
    imageimage
  • I would get him a sleeping bag with his favorite character or color. Let him play with it, and talk about how he'll be able to sleep in at so and so's house. My kiddo was super excited when we did this, made it special.
  • Make a bed on the floor and surround it with pillows, in corner. We did this for LO several trips from ages 12 mo - 27 mo.
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Make a bed on the floor and surround it with pillows, in corner. We did this for LO several trips from ages 12 mo - 27 mo.
    But how did you get LO to actually *stay* in the bed? I imagine our curious little lady wouldn't be able to resist exploring a new room, and would probably have a very hard time putting herself to sleep. But maybe I don't give her enough credit. We ended up buying the peapod plus. But now I'm scared, because they say not to use a pillow with it due to risk of suffocation, and DD loves to sleep with her pillow. Ugh.

• we used the peapod from age 1 mo - 9 mo. our next big trip was at 12 mo and she SCREAMED when we tried to put her in it. Not sure why. She would still sleep in a pack n play, crib, and had just started sleeping on a cot at daycare. So that's why we started her with the blankets & pillows in the corner of the floor. The first few nights, we laid down with her and read some short books, turned on her glowing seahorse and she fell asleep. Later, we just laid her down w/ the seahorse and she was fine... didn't need us to lay down with her.

Good luck!
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • For travel my 3 yr old sleeps in the Intex Toddler Airbed sold at Walmart. It has sides which I love since he rolls around like crazy.
  • I've been thinking about the same thing for future trips. I was just reading about the Peapod...it says do not leave child unattended while zippered inside?? So you can't zip it up for a child who is still in a crib??
  • Baby Bjorn Travel Crib. DD 2yo sleeps as well in it as she does in her crib.

imageimageimage

September Signature Challege (May 2015 BMB):

LEAFING!

• I was in the same position just recently. I actually used a single bed air mattress and toddler bed rails. I held the bed rails together by a bungie cord that I ran under the mattress. Sounds crazy, but it worked great!
  • XathXath member
    We have the Regalo My Cot Deluxe and it's amazing.  The cot sets up in seconds; no assembly required.  The sheet is like a sleeping bag, with a zip up side, and it has a built in pillow.  It fits to the cot like a fitted sheet, and is super easy to put on and remove (and it's machine washable).  We've used it for my now 3 year old for the past 6 months or so, at friends houses, grandparents, and recently while camping.  It's low enough to the ground that even before he was used to a bed, he never had an issue from falling out.  

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DD got a sleeping bag for Xmas and loved it. She slept in it IN her crib. About a week later we went on vacation (she was 3.5 at that time and still in a crib) and couldn't bring her travel crib. She slept in her sleeping bag on the floor of our hotel room (in the closet even :-) but with the door open) without any problem, after that she went back to sleeping in her crib for a couple of more months before switching to a twin bed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mom2one3 said:
    For travel my 3 yr old sleeps in the Intex Toddler Airbed sold at Walmart. It has sides which I love since he rolls around like crazy.

have this. LOVE it. Everyone who travels often should have one. I wish they made a "double" one so i could throw both boys in there. :)
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"