1st Trimester
Options

Weight management

I just found out I am about 6weeks along. I am already considered overweight before the pregnancy. What is the best ways to try to get healthy and manage weight gain during the 1st trimester

Re: Weight management

• Options
    Portion control will help along with exercise and drinking a lot of water. Along with portion control its what your eating as well! Stay away from fast foods too and replace that with cooking at home. You could try eating smaller meals through out the day, this can help manage your weight as well. Think mini healthy meals. Aim to go for a walk every day for 30 minutes if your not a gym goer. 

Hope this helps! 
    ;)
  • Options

I'm in the same boat - didn't quite lose all the weight from my first pregnancy before this one, and of course all that settles my stomach is carbs carbs and more carbs (not the good quinoa brown rice kind - the huge bagels and noodles kind).

Going to try to do salads for lunch and a walk after lunch and see how that works for me!  Good luck - good advice from PPs.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    To clarify on the exercise part, don't start doing anything you haven't already been doing except for walking. Now is not the time to start hitting the gym hard if you haven't before. Start walking and build up. Talk to your doctor.

You actually don't need as many extra calories a day during pregnancy as you might think. My pregnancy book says something like an apple as a snack more a day is really all you need. I would recommend knowing your current BMI and how  many calories you need to sustain that then adding the appropriate number you need to add. Again, this is something your doctor should also be concerned about and monitoring, so talk to him/her.
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    You may find that in the first trimester you're not particularly hungry (there's a reason people inject themselves with HCG to try and lose weight.)  And, if you get morning sickness or bad food aversions, gaining weight won't even be on your mind.  I think where it gets harder is the second and third trimesters.  My thing is try and eat healthy but don't beat yourself up too much because sometimes you have to eat what your body is craving.  Definitely get out and walk.

Every pregnancy and every person is different but for me, I always lose weight during the first trimester.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    To clarify on the exercise part, don't start doing anything you haven't already been doing except for walking. Now is not the time to start hitting the gym hard if you haven't before. Start walking and build up. Talk to your doctor.

You actually don't need as many extra calories a day during pregnancy as you might think. My pregnancy book says something like an apple as a snack more a day is really all you need. I would recommend knowing your current BMI and how  many calories you need to sustain that then adding the appropriate number you need to add. Again, this is something your doctor should also be concerned about and monitoring, so talk to him/her.
    Do not base anything on BMI. It is worthless.

True. But, it can be a base, especially for someone who is overweight to begin with, not an athlete, not someone who works out in general. My point was she needs to find a base caloric level to not lose or gain weight and add the little amount necessary for pregnancy to that.
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    With my first I was super worried about weight gain and basically just ate normally (when I wasn't to sick) I ended up gaining 55 pounds I cried standing on the scale haha. But a couple days after he was born I was already down 45 pounds. So try not to stress to much everybody is different and gains differently so as long as you don't "eat for two" you will be ok!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"