Trouble TTC

Sex question, TMI warning!!!!

Sorry if this question comes across as just plain stupid but I thought maybe someone can relate. I never payed attention to this before TTC, because why would I? Now that we've been DX with MFI I've noticed that when we're finished having sex and I go to clean up there's barely anything there, last night it seemed like nothing. Nothing leaks out. I also noticed that when he does his SA there is such a small amount in the cup. The RE said the volume is fine, but I feel like a few years ago this wasn't the case. Maybe someone also dealing with MFI can shed some light on this. Or maybe someone who isn't dealing with MFI can tell me this is nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm seriously going crazy at this point. I mean let's face it, I've had partners before my H and I didn't notice this issue.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

Re: Sex question, TMI warning!!!!

• How long are you laying down afterward?  I wish I had DHs SA results in front of me so I could remember what the volume was but he's always concerned it's not that much.  It doesn't look like very much.  Also, I have noticed some nights there's a ton and other nights it doesn't seem like that much.  Not sure if that's helpful or not.

Incidentally, I watched a really interesting BBC program called The Great Sperm Race (you can find it broken into 10 minute chunks on YouTube).  It says that there is evidence that the more "excited" the male partner is, and the longer you drag the deed out before he finishes, the better quality the sperm.  There also is apparently a lot more of it too.  Not sure if you're interested but I found it fascinating.  Conception truly is a complete miracle.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• @kmdecoux‌ funny I watched the whole Great Sperm Race on YouTube a couple of months ago. After watching it you wonder how anyone gets pregnant. I've noticed the same thing, sometimes there's a ton and other times, like last night it seems like there none. If we haven't had sex in more than 3-4 days I notice a big difference, but they say not wait that long. Around O time I lay there for a bit after, but I'm very prone to UTIs so if it's not O time I head straight to the BR to pee.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I know they say not to wait 3 or 4 days, but before our last IUI DH was concerned about his numbers from the previous month so he wouldn't let me anywhere near the lower part of his body for 5 days.  No matter how much I argued with him about everything I read he insisted on it.  And his numbers were actually the best they've ever been.  I think there's really just no way to know what's going to work and what isn't.  Which is what makes this whole process so frustrating.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• I agree, you just don't know. It's good to know that you can relate even though your Hs numbers are good, gives me some hope.

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• @rainbowbridge14 - WHAAA!!!  I did not know that!!

TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    TX: 

• Agree with @rumbera28, I've read and seen that DH has better volume when hydrated.

As far as it leaking out...I've noticed that in the fertile time when my cervix is high and soft, the semen tends to hang out in there longer. And I think it has to do with the angle of the ejaculation and how long and what position I hang around after.

Also TMI but...do you tend to get that gel-like, glob of semen a day or two after sex? I always end up wiping a little glob about 36-48 hours after sex so it reassures me that the sperm stayed in for a bit, even after dealing with the slimy post-sex Kleenex run to the bathroom, Lol!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • My husband's samples always look so small and every single time he says says "I don't think there's enough" but then after the wash my RE has been happy with the numbers. There seems to be a very direct correlation between volume and how long it's been since the last ejaculation... but I would NOT assume higher volume = higher quality.  My RE told my husband not to go longer than 5-6 days because after that decaying sperm can poison the sample. Waiting a few days will probably increase his volume and might also increase his overall count, but according to what I've read there is conflicting evidence about whether this actually leads to higher pregnancy rates.

So bottom line: no, I don't think you need to worry about low volume :)
    Married in 2011, NTNP until early 2012, TTC since early 2012

My husband was diagnosed with state IV colon cancer in 2009. Surgery and six rounds of chemo left him in remission (yay!) but with low testosterone. He took Androgel for two years starting in Jan 2011.
    -SA in Jan 2013: big fat zero; stopped Androgel
    -varicocelectomy in June 2013
    -SA in Dec 2013: 23mil/ml, really low morph
    -SA in March 2014: Count doubled! Morphology apparently no longer an issue.

Treatments:
    April 2014: hysteroscopy
    June 2014: TI (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 2 folliclces) = BFN
    July 2014: IUI#1 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    August 2014: IUI#2 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1 follicle, 43mil post-wash) = BFN
    September 2014: IUI#3 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 2 follicles, 15mil post-wash) = BFN
    October 2014: IUI#4 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel; 1-2 follicles, 12mil post-wash) = BFN
    November 2014: IUI#5 (clomid/bravelle/ovidrel: 1 follicle, 23mil post-wash) = BFN
    December 2014: IUI#6 (gonal-f/ovidrel): 2 follicles, 55mil post-wash) = ???

*all are welcome!*

• @bunnyberry I notice the day after globs. Usually in the shower the next morning.

And my husband's volume is not affected by his MFI.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll chime in mostly to echo PPs. DH felt like there was hardly anything there when he went to drop off his sample. He said that the HUGE cup they gave him didn't help him feel any more adequate. Turns out it was 4ml and our dr said he has "sperm to spare" so he was worried over nothing.

Like @Rumbera28‌ said, the sperm is just a small part of the entire ejactulate so I wouldn't sweat over it too much.

Me (29) DH (37)

Married 7/11

Actively TTC 3/12

DX: PCOS

Current treatment: Break from IUIs until after the holidays

-----All Welcome----

~~~January 3T Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolutions~~~

(I don't do resolutions...so I stole T-Rex's)

• Thanks, I feel better knowing the volume has nothing to do with the count.. Never thought I'd be critiquing my Hs sperm, lol!!!

TTC #1

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• We are MFI. I notice a lot less fluid coming out after sex  as well, and comparing my husbands SA from almost 4 years ago his volume is about half of what it was then. Even with all of the supplements he has been taking, and no matter how hydrated he is it has stayed at that level. I have read that hydration can help volume issues, but it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference for us.

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"