October 2014 Moms
Options

Freezer Dinner recipes.

krysngregkrysngreg member
edited August 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Maybe it's to soon. But maybe not. I live in the middle of no where. So driving to town to pick up dinner is out of the question after LO gets here. So if any one has any recipes to share, it would really help. I can only eat lasagna and chicken spaghetti so many times.
Any quick recipes or freezer dinners you love?!? And don't mind sharing.

Please :).

ETA: could make this like an O14 recipe book for the members.

Re: Freezer Dinner recipes.

• Options
    I'll be spending all weekend making dinners to freeze. I don't have the recipes on me, but I decided to go with double batches of each of these:

1. Corn Chowder
    2. Meatloaf
    3. Chicken Divan (I sub chicken, recipe uses turkey)
    4. Chili - my mom's recipe don't know it
    5. Beef stroganoff

(my mom is helping me, I have zero experience with freezing meals!)
    TTC #1 Since December 2009
    BFP #1 05/16/10 EDD 01/13/11 natural m/c 11w1d (unknown cause)
    BFP #2 03/24/11 EDD 12/06/11 missed m/c D&C 10w (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #3 12/24/11 EDD 09/02/12 missed m/c D&C 10w4d (Triploidy xxx)
    BFP #4 02/10/14 EDD 10/19/14  - Baby boy made his arrival 10/02/14
    !
    BFP #5 05/08/15 EDD 01/19/16 C/P 05/14/15
    BFP #6 06/05/15 EDD 02/18/16 *It's a GIRL!!*

BabyFetus Ticker

My Blog     My Chart
  • Options
    We made a triple batch of the Smitten Kitchen empanadas and froze them. We love them -- and while they're a bit time-consuming to make, they bake wonderfully straight out of the freezer! And they're a nice change from the usual frozen suspects. 

EDD 10/24/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I made a bunch of kebabs to freeze away for sandwiches. Also a bunch of dry curry and lentils. Boil a pot of rice and defrost curry and lentils. Dinner is ready!
  • Options

I made a bunch of kebabs to freeze away for sandwiches. Also a bunch of dry curry and lentils. Boil a pot of rice and defrost curry and lentils. Dinner is ready!

I won't lie. I had to google kebabs. But Omgoodness!!! Sounds amazing for sandwiches !!!
  • Options
    I do a ton of freezer cooking not just for maternity leave, but I have been creating a stock pile as things begin to come ready in our garden.  We're rural as well, and we're in MN, so good vegetables are hard to come by in the winter.  Our family prefers frozen vegetables over canned, and I don't buy much fresh produce in the winter because who knows where it's from.  I blanch and flash freeze green beans, peas (in the pod and shelled), and sweet peppers. 

Also, google freezer cooking or once a month cooking for a ton of blogs, shopping lists, and recipes for this stuff.  This is the blog that got me started: bakedinthesouth.  I found the blogs to be a good starting point, and to be perfectly honest, I never really follow a recipe to the letter.  We don't eat grains and try to stay away from anything processed in our house, so I have my substitutions if a recipe calls for a cream of mushroom soup or to serve it over noodles.

I also don't like just dumping things into a crock pot (I find things to be watery and soggy), so I might sear the meat in a pan, slow cook it in the crock pot with a sauce, so it's nice and tender, and saute the veggies right before I serve.  Soups and stews are just a dump, set it, and serve easy meal.  Plus, I found it to be really helpful to always have soup in the fridge during the first few weeks for a quick and satisfying meal.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    bennikki said:

I do a ton of freezer cooking not just for maternity leave, but I have been creating a stock pile as things begin to come ready in our garden.  We're rural as well, and we're in MN, so good vegetables are hard to come by in the winter.  Our family prefers frozen vegetables over canned, and I don't buy much fresh produce in the winter because who knows where it's from.  I blanch and flash freeze green beans, peas (in the pod and shelled), and sweet peppers. 

Also, google freezer cooking or once a month cooking for a ton of blogs, shopping lists, and recipes for this stuff.  This is the blog that got me started: bakedinthesouth.  I found the blogs to be a good starting point, and to be perfectly honest, I never really follow a recipe to the letter.  We don't eat grains and try to stay away from anything processed in our house, so I have my substitutions if a recipe calls for a cream of mushroom soup or to serve it over noodles.

I also don't like just dumping things into a crock pot (I find things to be watery and soggy), so I might sear the meat in a pan, slow cook it in the crock pot with a sauce, so it's nice and tender, and saute the veggies right before I serve.  Soups and stews are just a dump, set it, and serve easy meal.  Plus, I found it to be really helpful to always have soup in the fridge during the first few weeks for a quick and satisfying meal
    Awesome advice !! Thank you. We try to stay away from processed also. And it gets very tricky. I have frozen veggies and canned with my MIL all summer as stuff comes up. We got way to much canned, she is a freak about her garden. I'm still learning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"