November 2013 Moms

How are YOU reading up on Child Development, N13?

Recommend your child development books here. Now that we're at the magic 9 month mark and boundaries are being tested, I'm suddenly feeling the urge to start reading up.

#LOLFITMAMA

Re: How are YOU reading up on Child Development, N13?

• Doesn't the American Society of Pediatrics have an online guide? I'm in the going-by-what-previous-children-have-done camp.
    Well yeah...you have a leg up on me with 3 kids lol. I have nothing to go off of.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone! I know I have TB (Parenting, our BMB), other parents with similarly aged children, but the scholar I have buried way in the back of my noggin wants a book with pages. I have an older edition of WTE: The First Year and The Second Year that an older mom passed my way (though, they were published in the 80s or 90s I think). Just wanted to see if I'm missing out on any other good reads.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • @fitmama418‌ I personally did not love Superbaby and Attached at the Heart, although I very much anticipated I would.

Next I intend to read Love and Logic For Early Childhood and then Your Self Confident Baby by Magda Gerber. I generally like her philosophy and will start going to RIE classes once they start here in OC.
  • Forgot to add For the Children's Sake, which was way too religious and being a SAHM is the highest calling type of stuff that made me want to barf.
  • I honestly haven't read any actual books I just normally Google or ask my sisters. I worked with toddlers for years, so I'm much more comfortable with that age than this inbetween stage. While I am concerned about intellectual development, I am much more concerned right now about making sure I don't screw up and raise a hellion/brat. Guess I have some reading to do...

• I second @cagoldi with Nurtureshock, Brain Rules for Baby, and the Whole-Brain Child. Those are excellent reads!

What's going on in there, Peaceful parent happy kids, and How to talk so kids will listen & listen so kids will talk are more suggestions. 
    Married July 12, 2013
    Jack Donovan born November 9, 2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nothing? lol. I just ask my sister, MIL or the pediatrician. I also get the weekly bump updates that tell me what she should be doing. 

• I read a couple things here and there about milestones and the occasional bump update on my phone but that's about it..maybe I should look at a book and read more?

• We have the American academy of Pediatrics "Caring for Your Young Baby and Child, Birth to Age 5". It's a little dry but it covers all the basics like sample meals and milestones. My pediatrician recommended it.
  • @leopardgurl831‌ You would like Magda Gerber. She founded RIE and Janet Lansbury taught at the LA RIE center.
  • Whew, looks like I'm in the majority! While I love to read, it's just been on the back burner since LO arrived. I have WTE the first year that I glance at most days, but I've definitely not read all of it. I did take some child development classes during college, so I know basic development. Otherwise, it's TB, friends and my pedi. This might be wrong of me, but I figure if some of the people I know can raise happy, successful kids without a doctorate in child psychology, I probably can too.
    Nope not wrong at all. I'm not reading anything either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"