November 2014 Moms
Options

WWYD? Anxiety/STM question

Hi ladies, first time posting here. I've been lurking for awhile and am trying to be a little more involved. I have my 30 week appt tomorrow and I'm debating whether or not to ask the doc how I've been feeling lately. I'm not sure if it's just 3rd trimester mood swings or if my anxiety is going up now that I'm getting close to the end. I'm a STM and I currently stay home with DD#1. Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed and I'm worried it's going to get worse when DD#2 arrives. I do have a history of anxiety attacks but they were never very bad and I haven't had any since the very first few I had. I've broken down crying at least once a week for the past few weeks. My poor DH has tried helping the best he can and it does help when I talk everything out, I just keep stressing out about the same thing. It doesn't help that the past year has been pretty crazy.. about a year ago I got pregnant then lost that baby at 6 weeks. Right before I got pregnant this time, I quit my job to stay home with DD. This pregnancy has also been a little harder on me than my first. So needless to say, there's been a lot of change going on. I'm wondering if asking my doc if talking to a therapist would help, maybe give me ways to cope better or if this is all just normal STM issues I'm dealing with?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD? Anxiety/STM question

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this! I have a history of anxiety as well and this pregnancy (also my second) is A LOT harder on me emotionally. My OB mentioned at my very first appointment that sometimes taking medication outweighs the "potential risk" to the baby. She also said that taking them later in the pregnancy wouldn't be as potentially harmful as if I took them in the first tri. I decided it wasn't worth taking the chance. Now that I am almost 30 weeks, everything is piling up more & more. I work FT, have a 4 year old, a house to maintain, etc & it's very emotionally trying. I'm thinking about talking to her about it at my next appt (in a week) & seeing what she recommends. I hope talking to your doc helps! Just wanted you to know you're not alone
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, 3rd time mom here, I'm having a ton of anxiety, I hope you feel better. Definitely talk to your OB and therapist. Hugs.
  • Options
    I agree, definitely talk to your doctor. I hope you feel better!

• Options
    Definitely bring it up. There's no harm in addressing it, because even if it is common during the third trimester, it doesn't mean you won't find some strategies to help you cope.
  • Options
    @bc_babe1186‌ Any chance the 'BC' in your name in in reference to the Province? If yes, I have some awesome resources for you!
  • Options
    In addition to what everyone has said I just want to add: feel no shame. It's good to talk to a counselor when you are having a problem! The earlier you catch hold of your problems the easier they'll be to deal with.
  • Options

@bc_babe1186‌ Any chance the 'BC' in your name in in reference to the Province? If yes, I have some awesome resources for you!

Oh I wish that's what it stood for but no it stands for the college I went to in KS.
  • Options
    jlove253 said:

In addition to what everyone has said I just want to add: feel no shame. It's good to talk to a counselor when you are having a problem! The earlier you catch hold of your problems the easier they'll be to deal with.

I wish I didn't feel shame about it but I do sometimes. I feel like being a Mom should come so easily to me and I should be able to handle everything that comes with it. It doesn't help that I'm really stubborn and asking for help isn't always easy for me to do. In this case though, I know I should ask for help for myself AND my family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"