September 2012 Moms
Options

Cupcake Recipe

kelbel527kelbel527 member
edited August 2014 in September 2012 Moms
I'm think I'm going to make the cupcakes for Aedan's birthday this year.  I've never made my own frosting before, but I figure if I'm going to do it myself, I want to do it right.  

Please share your favorite cupcake and/or frosting recipe.  Extra points if the frosting is dairy free.  :)  I'll probably only be making one dairy-free cupcake for the birthday boy, so it's not a must-have.  

ETA: I'm open to all flavor ideas, but am leaning towards a lighter colored frosting.  This is what I'm thinking about doing:

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

Re: Cupcake Recipe

• Options
    https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/mini-oreo-surprise-cupcakes-91360.aspx

My Mom has been making these for years now.  They're my nephew's favorite and they're damn good.  She does all kinds of combos...my personal favorite is instead of the mini oreo she uses andes candies bits.  She also does one with Heath bits that my DH loves and does a vanilla cake mix with strawberries in it.  Everything with the recipe is the same except the filling portion.  :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    This is my absolute favorite vanilla cupcake/frosting recipe:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies!  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    MommaP12MommaP12 member
    edited August 2014
    I'm making those exact cupcakes for DD's party.   I will be using canned frosting for it.

For the cake (I'm making a round cake and then about 20 cupcakes) I will make my own frosting and it's the Wilton recipe:  https://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

ETA:  added my recipe for the cake though using canned for the cupcakes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    my recipe has milk, but I just wanted to say those cupcakes are adorable!!! 
  • Options
    jessk86 said:
    Whoops, just realized mine does too, but I think you can easily use water or almond/soy milk instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MommaP12 said:
    jessk86 said:
    Whoops, just realized mine does too, but I think you can easily use water or almond/soy milk instead.
    That's okay!  I usually don't have dairy free for everyone anyway, so I will probably just make DS his own dairy free.

If you have a good recipe @jessk86 (even with milk) I'll take it!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    The butter cream frosting from wilton is my go to. It can be made with just shortning (butter flavoured) and water. Just note that you may need to add extra water to be able to pipe it like the pictures.

https://www.wilton.com/recipe/class-buttercream-icing-stiff-consistency
  • Options
    amandad715amandad715 member
    edited August 2014
    So glad you asked this @kelbel527. I was on the hunt for cupcake recipes and frosting recipes tonight. I made some awesome buttercream frosting last year for Cupcakes but for the life of me, I can't remember where it was from. Random tidbit about myself....I get nervous cooking with shortening bc I'm not used to it. We never buy it and I always try to avoid recipes with it.
    ETA-also I am not helpful with adding a recipe. At all. Just throwing in my 2 cents ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I love a lot of the cupcake recipes from "Your Cup of Cake" and they all include recipes for the frosting as well! I'm not sure how many, if any, are dairy-free though. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"