1st Trimester

Can't Decide How To Announce At Family Gathering

Hello fellow bumpies! 

We have an ultrasound today and hopefully everything will go as planned :) We plan on sharing the wonderful news at a family/friends gathering on Saturday. I will be 12 weeks and all of our family will be in town. Any cute ideas of how to share the news?

The party is for an anniversary so we don't want to "steal the thunder" but they want us to celebrate with everyone. (40 people+)

Any cute ideas?

Re: Can't Decide How To Announce At Family Gathering

• I also would not do a big announcement type thing at someone else's party. That just seems tacky to me.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Stick your ultrasound photo in your parents anniversary card and let them announce it.
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • bumwaters said:
    I personally wouldn't announce it in a big way at an anniversary party but that is just me.   I would simply tell people during conversation.  You will still get congratulated and people will be excited but you aren't making their party all about you.  
    --- This. I would not announce at someone else's big party.

I completely agree with what they are saying.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Your family will still be in town immediately after the big party, yes?  You could tell them then.

If it was my anniversary party, I wouldn't mind someone else announcing their pregnancy specifically, but the lack of consideration that went into that decision would (briefly) bother me.
  • Let me say that the whole party was put together by my mom in order for me to announce. I just don't want to make the whole thing about myself. 

Sorry I didn't clarify sooner. 
  • allrightmeowallrightmeow member
    edited August 2014
    MandN323 said:
    Hello fellow bumpies! 

We have an ultrasound today and hopefully everything will go as planned :) We plan on sharing the wonderful news at a family/friends gathering on Saturday. I will be 12 weeks and all of our family will be in town. Any cute ideas of how to share the news?

The party is for an anniversary so we don't want to "steal the thunder" but they want us to celebrate with everyone. (40 people+)

Any cute ideas?
    If you're soliciting "cute ideas" on how to share the news, you most definitely will come off as trying to steal the anniversary couples thunder.  I personally wouldn't share my big news at someone else's event.  If you still want to do it, I suggest waiting till the very end of the festivities and just saying it plain and simple.  But, seriously. don't do it.  

ETA Spelling
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    edited August 2014
    I'm confused.

Is it that your mom put together the party for herself so that there was an excuse to invite people over? Or is she planning this party for another couple?

The first option, if it's for your mom and her partner (your dad/stepdad/mom/whomever) then I don't see the worrying about 'stealing thunder' because she wanted to throw this party in part to announce it for you. I think PPs idea of giving them a card with the ultrasound for them to open at the party is cute.

If it's the second, then I am side-eye-ing you and your mom big time because who on earth makes a couple think that they're throwing an anniversary party for that couple, but in reality they're just throwing the party to give the thrower's kid an excuse to announce a pregnancy. That would seem kind of a crappy thing to do.

I'm hoping it's option 1, so I think whatever you do will be fine.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Whose anniversary is it? Is it your parents anniversary or is your mom planning this anniversary party for someone else? I feel like I'm missing key details.

If your mom is planning the anniversary party and it is for her own anniversary (but not really since she is secretly planning it to AW your pregnancy), then they obviously already know so giving them an ultrasound picture in a card (as PP suggested) would be pointless.

As long as the guests of honor are on board with it, I would go ahead and announce.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Stick your ultrasound photo in your parents anniversary card and let them announce it.

I love this idea. Semi-private and gives your parents the choice of announcing. If they feel it isn't a good time they simply won't.
    I agree with this. My parents would be thrilled announcing. Bet its the best anniversary gift they ever received.

• Condescending Wonka says it all.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OK, if this is your parents anniversary, then let them toast and announce they will be grandparents.

If this is someone elses anniversary, no, save it for another time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Empireceo said:
    I don't buy that your parents planned an entire party for 40+ people just so you could say you're pregnant. I shudder to think of the baby shower/sex reveal/nursery reveal tomfuckery that is coming. At some point your parents will address their guests, no? Maybe they could mention that they are entering a new phase as grandparents soon. That's what I'd do, I guess.
    Tomfuckery! I love it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • MrsMuq said:
    My guess is the OP won't be coming back for any more "clarifications."
    Methinks you're right.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My grandparents had their 50th wedding anniversary soon after we told them and they asked if it was okay if they could announce it to everyone during because they were so excited and we knew that everyone was going to be. The party wasn't planned for the specific reason of announcing my pregnancy but it certainly was an added bonus that we could share that with friends and family at the same time. 

OP I don't think you would have to worry about stealing their thunder if they are okay with you announcing or suggested it.

I would just let people know as you make your rounds greeting people that you have some "exciting news" that you want to share and tell them you are expecting. If your family is anything like mine you will only have to tell a few and then word will spread for you....hahaha!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If it's your parents' anniversary party they're also hosting, announce however you like.  I think it would be sweet to let them do it, since they are obviously excited enough to throw a cover party.

If your mom is hosting for someone else who is not in on the party-is-not-really-for-them secret, I legitimately feel awful for them.  I'm imagining being surprised and touched by how excited someone was to do something nice for me, only to have the bottom drop out when it dawned on me that it was staged for a daughter's pregnancy announcement.  I'd probably get sick I'd be so upset.
    Even if it is her parents' anniversary, it's still a shitty move on her mom's part. A fake anniversary party to announce a pregnancy? Obnoxious.

Fuck, I hope no one in that family has had a loss or is struggling to get pregnant.
    So you can't announce a pregnancy to a group because someone might have had a loss or is struggling? Don't think so.
  • bumwaters said:
    asws1208 said:
    If it's your parents' anniversary party they're also hosting, announce however you like.  I think it would be sweet to let them do it, since they are obviously excited enough to throw a cover party.

If your mom is hosting for someone else who is not in on the party-is-not-really-for-them secret, I legitimately feel awful for them.  I'm imagining being surprised and touched by how excited someone was to do something nice for me, only to have the bottom drop out when it dawned on me that it was staged for a daughter's pregnancy announcement.  I'd probably get sick I'd be so upset.
    Even if it is her parents' anniversary, it's still a shitty move on her mom's part. A fake anniversary party to announce a pregnancy? Obnoxious.

Fuck, I hope no one in that family has had a loss or is struggling to get pregnant.
    So you can't announce a pregnancy to a group because someone might have had a loss or is struggling? Don't think so.
    No skittles or beach vacations for the poor and now no consideration for other's feelings. Winner winner chicken dinner.
    Seriously?? I am just saying you can't NOT announce your pregnancy because you are afraid someone might be struggling. 
  • OP I don't think its tacky. I do not think you should steal anyone's thunder but you know your family. My family would have gladly wanted it announced no matter where or when it was! 
  • Aside from your parents and likely to a lesser degree your siblings and best friends, nobody cares that much that you're pregnant.  People are happy for pregnant people and all that but in a "I'm pregnant!"  "Congrats!" move on to your regularly scheduled programming way.  A party just to say two words?  Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• If it's your parents' anniversary party they're also hosting, announce however you like.  I think it would be sweet to let them do it, since they are obviously excited enough to throw a cover party.

YUP! I agree with the bold, (because I have been there).

Also, I would be upset if I was invited to a lovey anniversay party to celebrate marital milestones, went out of my way to get a gift, then to come to realized I was bamboozled! It was a fake.

I would side eye you for announcing at a party that wasn't your party (even if it "really" was yours) because that is rude, tacky and cheap (because you obviously can't afford your own party, you have to steal someone's party for your AW needs).

But if you do decide to do it anyway, here is a "cute" suggestion...
    Why don't you pop out of the "Anniversary" Cake. You could totally wear a Pink glitter crown and a blue sash. You could also hold pink and blue balloons with custom printed U/S pics printed on them and pass them out! Tote cute, right???
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Maybe do this towards the end. If it's a party for your parents - I'm sure they are busting at the seams to share so if it's their party they could make a speech and somehow sneak it in there.... Or Take a group photo and whoever is taking photo say ---insert your name ---- is pregnant!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"