Baby Names

Name tests?

When you're considering a name, do you try it out with any name "tests"?

DH and I usually try two:
1. What would you think if a friend said, "Oh my friend _____ is coming over?"

2. The resume test. How would react if you received a resume from someone with that name?
Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

Re: Name tests?

• My mom always said to yell the full name out your back door 10 times :)
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't think we did any tests with my LO, but we did feel that is was a name that would look nice on a resume and come off as striking without being you-neek. I am always entertaining names for future LO's though and my dh likes to put some of our top names on his video game characters to test drive them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • megbmegmegbmeg member
    edited August 2014
    This is pretty fun! It puts your potential name into sentences. I like this one: 

FN LN come on down! You're the next contestant on The Price is Right! :)

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• I like to try picture the name on a variety of professions.
    Doctor?
    Pro athlete?
    Scientist?
    Artist?
    Chef?
    Teacher?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The master test for us is a name that we would like to have ourselves. The name has to be flexible because we have no idea who this little human will be. We both like traditional underused names. Familiar but the only one around. DH gets final say for boys and I get final say for a girl. But thankfully we have really similar tastes. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • abbyful said:
    I like to try picture the name on a variety of professions. Doctor? Pro athlete? Scientist? Artist? Chef? Teacher?
    I also throw Judge in there. Can I imagine a Supreme Court Justice with that name? Highly unlikely, but it has made me notice when my names are too cutesy. 

• megbmeg said:
    abbyful said:
    I like to try picture the name on a variety of professions. Doctor? Pro athlete? Scientist? Artist? Chef? Teacher?
    I also throw Judge in there. Can I imagine a Supreme Court Justice with that name? Highly unlikely, but it has made me notice when my names are too cutesy. 
    We use the Supreme Court Justice test too.  I married into a family of lawyers.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I consider a variety of jobs, not just white collar ones. Does it work for a congressperson; does it work for a plumber?
  • We say it around the house a lot plus see how it sounds for a baby, kid, teenager, adult, elderly.
  • Imagining all stages of life (infant, child, teen, adult, and elderly), shouting it across a field without getting tounge-tied, scoping out potential nicknames, and lastly running it through the Banana Fana song (which really doesn't work well with the name Tucker).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP: 9/30/14 EDD: 06/10/15
  • Imagining all stages of life (infant, child, teen, adult, and elderly), shouting it across a field without getting tounge-tied, scoping out potential nicknames, and lastly running it through the Banana Fana song (which really doesn't work well with the name Tucker).
    Ha! I forgot about about the Banana Fana song :) 

• I always imagination their high school graduation and their full name being called in front of all of their friends and family. :)
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Go to Starbucks and use it as your name. If they can't spell it or pronounce it, go back to the drawing board.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• My mother taught me the 3 scenario test:
    Can so-and-so come out to play?
    So-and-so, will you marry me?
    Introducing our new President, So-and-so!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"