November 2013 Moms
Options

UO

Organ donation should be compulsory and allow people to opt-out rather than having them opt-in.

Re: UO

• Options
    cagoldi said:
    Organ donation should be compulsory and allow people to opt-out rather than having them opt-in.
    Ok I'll bite. Why?

#LOLFITMAMA
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LJGS1010 said:
    I will play devil's advocate. While I personally believe in organ donation, bodily autonomy - even in death - isn't something I like the government regulating. If you can force organ donation, what else can you force? What can you completely prohibit? Abortion? Blood donation?
    I understand that argument. It's the most valid criticism. I just think that since it is in death it's okay to implement this policy. Since people have the ability to opt-out they aren't exactly forced to do it, although admittedly the burden is on the individual to take that extra step if they have other wishes for their remains.
  • Options
    cagoldicagoldi member
    edited August 2014
    @LJGS1010 These are all good questions. There would have to be a system in place for those without the directive, DL, or ID. I'm not sure what mechanism would be used here, but it's been a successful practice in many European countries. Our current donor list operates under a contract granted by DHHS, so it already costs us money. It would cost more to capture all the information needed to match donors with recipients when many more are available but I'm fine with that expense as it would greatly improve the quality and length of life for those who require the organs.

The way I understand it to work in certain countries that do have an opt-out system there are circumstances under which the family can make the decision on their behalf.
  • Options
    @LJGS1010 I get that, and you're right. But you also have black-market organs and people in first-world nations traveling to impoverished countries to obtain them. Those who can afford to buy an organ can exploit those who are desperate enough to sell one.
  • Options
    @Finnaroo‌ You are right, tact is important. This woman did not have any whatsoever. I know time is of the essence, but it still sucks big time be on the receiving end of that call especially when it was unexpected.
  • Options
    While I understand how great organ donation is and I keep saying I will sign up some day, I have a hard time truly thinking that if I were to pass on my body would be dissected! I just think that while I will have no use for my body, it's still a sacred thing and should be protected and cared for.

So organ donation must be something you deliberately and with full mental clarity chose to do and you must inform your loved ones so that this wish is honored. No way can any organization take control of my body or my beloved husband, brother, child etc!

I'm hoping when I'm 90, if I still have something worth donating, I'll be glad to share.

That said it would be great if there was a campaign to encourage people to donate and I love @ggandlee‌ idea that this should be something you discuss with your doctor and goes on your medical records. Much better than the DMV!

Then you could specify and discuss which organs you want to donate etc.

Also, when my father passed we selected a simple pine box and we were told that in Jewish tradition, the simpler the better, so it was an easy decision to make and felt right.

Deep conversations today!
  • Options
    LJGS1010 said:

Yez9 said:

Why not mandatory organ donation for everyone with a driver's license but done so that it's explained at the time/included in drivers ed, etc. with a box to check either way in a prominent place on the form and a separate signature required for that choice. It's not even an opt out at that point. It's a "you can't get your license until you decide" thing.

And @TJHine‌ you continue to amaze me with your strength. So privileged to interact with you.‌

You would really condition receipt of a driver's license on making a 16-17 year old decide whether they want to be an organ donor????

I don't even know what to say about that.

Driving is not a constitutional right, but it sure as hell feels wrong to me to tell a teenager -- or anyone, for that matter -- that they are required to make an important decision like that in order to get where they want to go.

I really don't have a problem with this. Perhaps it's a good idea to have teenagers consider their own mortality before they get behind the wheel of a car. I don't think I was the world's most mature 16 year-old, but the thought of what happens to various parts of my body after I die would not have been disturbing to me.

We let teenagers make other important decisions about what to do with their bodies all the time, such as accessing BC and elective abortions.

I understand your concern about granting the license being predicated on making this decision but I suspect anyone that feels uncertain about it would choose to opt-out.
  • Options

I've always been an organ donor on my license. My mother threw a for and claimed that since I had that on my license, the EMTs would cut out any organs they could and leave my body on the side of the road. She was sure of it. She had heard it happened to my great aunt's daughter's cousin's family friend's cousin twice removed.

She has a flair for the dramz.

This does happen in China, except they don't wait for you to die. They execute you and parcel off your various parts to wealthy Americans that go there in search of them. Scarcity creates the demand.
  • Options
    mskatiepmskatiep member
    edited August 2014
    LJGS1010 said:

Yez9 said:

Why not mandatory organ donation for everyone with a driver's license but done so that it's explained at the time/included in drivers ed, etc. with a box to check either way in a prominent place on the form and a separate signature required for that choice. It's not even an opt out at that point. It's a "you can't get your license until you decide" thing.

And @TJHine‌ you continue to amaze me with your strength. So privileged to interact with you.‌

You would really condition receipt of a driver's license on making a 16-17 year old decide whether they want to be an organ donor????

Driving is not a constitutional right, but it sure as hell feels wrong to me to tell a teenager -- or anyone, for that matter -- that they are required to make an important decision like that in order to get where they want to go.

------------
    In this situation wouldn't it still be opt in? If at 16 they don't feel ready to make that decision, then indicate no. They can always change their mind (either way.) I have been an organ donor since I got my learner's permit at 14. I knew exactly what it ment, and was very specifically asked when I got my DL.

• Options
    mskatiep said:

LJGS1010 said:

Yez9 said:

------------
    In this situation wouldn't it still be opt in? If at 16 they don't feel ready to make that decision, then indicate no. They can always change their mind (either way.) I have been an organ donor since I got my learner's permit at 14. I knew exactly what it ment, and was very specifically asked when I got my DL.

Same. And like @Yez9‌ I also told DH to let them have anything usable and burn the rest. Spread the ashes on my farm right where we spread my grandpas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"