February 2014 Moms

? for those of you who've weaned

I pumped for the last time last Friday evening (and having a lot of feelings about that, but not the point of this post!).

I never got super engorged after that, so I figured I would just tough it through any discomfort since it seemed my risk for inflammation/infection was low if I wasn't making a ton of milk anyway.

But now it's almost a week later and my boobs are still really firm, the milk hasn't gone away. It hasn't gotten worse at all, but it hasn't gotten better either. It's still a little uncomfortable and it hurts if they get "hit" (like if my work bag straps slip down or something), but nothing a little ibuprofen hasn't managed.

How long will it be before they're "back to normal" in that they don't feel hardened/tender?
Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
TTC #1 since 9/2012
BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
BFP #2 6/2/13
Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day

Re: ? for those of you who've weaned

• I was very gradual in my stopping pumping. I pumped 3 times a day for a week (after feeding 8-10 times before), then 2 times a day for a week. Then once a day for a week. I never pumped until empty. Just for like 3-4 minutes to release pressure. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • My boobs deflated immediately, like sad little balloons, so I'm of no help here.

But I can commiserate with stopping pumping and the feelings it caused. ((hugs))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My supply dropped drastically, and I never had the engorged feeling when I weaned off the pump. In addition to PP suggestions, cold cabbage leaves are supposed to help ease discomfort, too.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited August 2014
    I am still nursing once overnight but otherwise have weaned. I went down pretty gradually (dropping one feeding or pumping session per week), and I still had a ton of engorgement, but now it's gone. It really just took time but eventually went away. I weaned for lifestyle reasons and not because my supply naturally started to drop, and I attributed the painful engorgement a little bit to that.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Thanks Ladies! I picked up some Sudafed today and will make some mint tea. I've already been doing b6 which I guess can help. I worked off pumping gradually over 3 weeks, so I'm at the tail end of the process and I think just need to hang on. It's honestly tougher emotionally at this point (like, well maybe this is my body telling me I shouldn't be stopping yet, am I quitting? ) rather than physically, so I kind of just want the reminder to go away, you know?
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #2 6/2/13
  • SuzyQq02SuzyQq02 member
    edited August 2014
    And I'm really annoyed that this is happening after my supply was such an issue. @sdlaura‌, thanks for weighing in that it gets better. I think my body is massively confused because I pumped it full of so much crap to make milk, i think it's now like wtf, dude, you want me to stop entirely? Such a mind fuck.
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #2 6/2/13
  • ((Hugs)) I hope everything works out. I have also heard the cabbage leaves help too! You should be proud of yourself for what you were able to do for your LO!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The sudafed helped me a lot, I think it took about 11 days for it feel completely dried up.

I feel ya on the emotional side, way harder than I thought. I just reminded myself that when I look at my kinder students, that I have no idea if they were breast, formula or fed a combination of both. They are all healthy, happy kids. That perspective really helped me. (((Hugs)))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"