October 2014 Moms

Soliciting name suggestions

So this kiddo STILL has no name. We'll probably end up being that couple in the delivery room still trying to figure it out. I've looked on every website imaginable, wasted money on a really bad baby name book, tried nymbler, I'm getting desperate. 

We have a list of what I like, what he likes, and the only name we've been able to agree that neither of us hates is Jackson (which will probably end up being this kid's name unless we can come up with something else) but I'd hate to give my kid a name that was just the only thing left on the list... maybe that's the way it really works & I'm being optimistic thinking that the heavens will open and angels will sing when he find the perfect name.

I like Logan (he wavers back & forth on this one), he prefers Gavin (it's a good name but I'm not sold), he likes Evan, I prefer Ethan. I love names that end in -ah (Noah, Jonah, Josiah), he prefers names that end in hard consonants. Oy Vey! 

Anyhow, the middle name will be Alexander. 

Thought maybe you guys had some suggestions we hadn't thought of. Help, PLEASE! lol 

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Soliciting name suggestions

• have you tried saying the whole name out loud for a couple of days when talking about the baby?  I know actually call him by different names out loud  really helped narrow it down for us.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I always find it really difficult to suggest names to other people, because everyone's taste is so different.

BUT, I wanted to say that you shouldn't feel rushed to make a decision final before you get to the hospital.  With DD, we had a list of 7 or so possibilities, and purposely waited until we met her to make a decision.  DD was a few hours old before she had a name, and that's perfectly fine.  We're planning to do the same thing this time.  I've always been afraid that I would pick a name ahead of time and then see the baby and think, "no, no, that name doesn't suit you at all."  I think some states require a birth certificate before you leave the hospital, but otherwise, you do still have plenty of time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry. I feel your frustration. We still have no name either. My last dd was named about an hour after delivery and looks like it will be the same for this one. I just want something to jump out and kick me in the face with its awesomeness. But nothing is really doing it for me. Like you, I don't want to just end up falling back on a back up name :( sorry, I don't have any great advice. Just stressing out with ya.
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Thanks Ladies, 

We have tried saying the names out loud and I usually let DH sit on a name for a week because the way he feels about it changes daily. That's his problem with Logan, some days it sounds good others, not so much. He's crazy! lol. So I do think ultimately we'll have to wait until we see the baby to pick his name. Just hoping something fits by then! 

I always thought picking the name would be more fun than this... grumble grumble grumble! 
    ~X(

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Ezra? I love the name Ezra.
    Me too!  DH vetoed it.  The name Hendrix has grown on me the last couple of weeks.  The very first time I heard it I was like Wut?  But I've heard it a few more times and it's starting to feel normal to me.  I think I might have a low threshold for normal. . .
  • Ezra? I love the name Ezra.
    Nope, ends in a, DH hates it. He's such a weirdo! lol

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• edited August 2014
    We ended up compromising on the name.  Pretty much just comparing lists and marking off ones that we didn't like.  In the end, DH proposed the first name and I liked it well enough.  Do I absolutely love it?  No.  Was it my first choice?  No.  But it is a good name that I like and can picture myself calling her that name (and an associated nickname).  

For the middle name, one night I pulled up name lists off of google and started reading off names that I liked (that would fit the first name).  We stopped when we found one that he liked as well.    

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• I love the name Lincoln! Also like the name Bentley, Tucker, and Liam. Good luck with the name! Hope you guys agree on something soon.
  • My DH wanted Jackson. But spelt Jaxson. DH wanted to call him "Jaxs" . But I personally loved Jasper. We never got around to middle names before we found out its a girl.
    Good luck ! I know it's tuff.
  • krysgreg said:
    My DH wanted Jackson. But spelt Jaxson. DH wanted to call him "Jaxs" . But I personally loved Jasper. We never got around to middle names before we found out its a girl. Good luck ! I know it's tuff.
    What is it with men and the spelling Jaxson!? My DH wanted the same thing for the same reason, I nipped that in the bud though! 

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Ugh--that 'x' is horrid! Totally normal to go in with a handful of names. You'll figure out the right one!
  • Some of these are great!  I might have to switch our LO's  name to Heineken or I like the scribble idea!  :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lucah or Lucas?  Kinda seems to go with your Noah/Gavin feel. 
  • James?
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• NavyFlyer said:
    Lucah or Lucas?  Kinda seems to go with your Noah/Gavin feel. 
    I do love Lucas, but DH shot it down. 

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• James?
    I actually liked Jameson (James is my maiden name) but alas, DH shot that down too. I think we are a lost cause... lol

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Hmm...

Have you tried behindthename.com? We loved that site for browsing name lists.

My only thought for names that end in -ah, is that if the MN will be Alexander, the names will end/begin with the same sound and may run together. That's a feature we worked to avoid, but it may not matter to you.

I'm sure you've heard/considered all the names by now, but if you want some suggestions, I like the following paired with Alexander:

John (nn Jack) Alexander (I prefer John/Jack to Jackson)
    Jason Alexander
    James Alexander
    Elliott Alexander
    Cameron Alexander
    Nicholas Alexander
    Scott Alexander
    Henry Alexander
    Paul Alexander
    Phillip Alexander
    Luke Alexander
    Brendan Alexander
    imageimage
  • NavyFlyerNavyFlyer member
    edited August 2014
    Just want to throw out my own little guys name, Nolan. Along the lines of Noah that you like, but ends with a hard consonant sound like your DH likes. 

Also would your DH go for Jonas, instead of your Jonah?
  • @NavyFlyer‌ I love Nolan! That was one of our top 5 if we were having a boy.
  • SusieBWSusieBW member
    edited August 2014
    Nolan is on our short list, too.

I didn't realize it was so popular!

ETA: I really like the Nameberry website for the "if you like this, then you might also like that" part of it.  But I'm sure it's not the only name site that does that.  And our current short list of names is: Nolan, Bode, Eli, Miles and Eben.  Our middle name list are all family names and we will pick one based on how it works with whatever first name we decide on: James, Scott, Axel, and Wilson.
  • I love the name Elliot!

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Seth
    Andrew
    Kyle

Good luck! It's so hard when you can't agree on a name! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Zane? I know a couple who named there kid "Tuff" but his father is way to into the UFC.lol But his name fits him. I also would have waited till I met her before choosing. But we settled on a name we both liked an every one gave us crap for. The same with DD1 I loved the name and my family said no so it stuck.
  • My DH and I have incredibly different taste in names....we had a really hard time even coming up with a list at all last time.  Finally we agreed on two names that neither of us hated...that was about the best we could do.  We didn't name Nicole until after she was born - one of the nurses in the delivery room was also named Nicole, so it seemed like a sign. 
    But honestly...I am still not in love with her name. It took me a long time to decide it was okay.  When she was a few months old I actually debated if it was too late to change it.

You will love your child no matter what their name....but yes, it may be impossible to agree on a name you both love.

I wanted to change DD1 from Kylee Jo to Kylee Joann. So it would be a little more feminine. But it's fits her now she turned out to be such a tomboy.
  • We had 2 names picked for DS1 and we waited to decide until we met him.  12 hours after he was born we decided on a name. :)  His name is Evan.

This time we are having a very hard time and haven't narrowed the list down very much at all.  So I have no idea what her name will be until she gets here and even then it's going to be a really hard decision I think since we have so many still on our maybe list.

If it makes you feel any better, my parents had 1 name picked for me and when I got here they both said no way.  I didn't look like that name.  Then they had to come up with another.  I'm very thankful they changed their minds!

Good luck!  We don't have a name either but I know we'll have one before we leave the hospital.
  • edited August 2014
    We also took a few names to the hospital. I wanted to see him before we decided and it made it so much easier to avoid unsolicited advice from family. Logan, Alexander, Luke, Liam and William were on the list and DS is Luke. I knew the second I saw him that was him name. I hope the same happens for you!

This time around we are doing the same thing with a much shorter list since her middle name will be Jean no matter what.
        Super Hero 8/12/11     Baby Girl EDD 10/16/14

• Thanks Ladies, 

I'll see how DH feels about Nolan, I think I may have mentioned it to him before but his feelings may have changed (he's so wishy washy! lol) I'm not sold on Owen, Liam, Gavin or Evan although I feel they are great names. Maybe I'll add them to the list just to see if LO looks like one of those. I thought of Seth once before but forgot to mention it to DH, so I'll see how he likes that one. 

He didn't like Jonas (I tried! lol). Love Eli & Miles, he nixed those early. Love Nicolas and Cameron but he's got 2 Nicolas's in his family and his close friend named his son Cameron so those are also out. 

I'll definitely try the websites you guys suggested though b/c I haven't tried those. Thanks again for all the suggestions and at least now I feel better about possibly not having a name until I see this kiddo and that it's ok! Everyone's stressing us out like CRAZY! 

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Sounds like us we cannot agree on a name and are on like two different continents when it comes to name origins. I'm hoping we can get it narrowed to a list of five or so then pick once we meet him!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • Hmm...If not Jason, Justin or Julian or Jordan? I love J names. Lol
    imageimage
  • Emerald27 said:
    Hmm...If not Jason, Justin or Julian or Jordan? I love J names. Lol
    You should call up the Duggars! lol. 

I like all 3 of your suggestions and suggested them to DH a while ago, he said no, no & no! GRRRRR. I absolutely adore Julian! 

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• My husbands last name is Katz. (I chose not to take it when we married) If we had a boy, I liked the name Jack.......but say them together.....out loud now......his last name ruins all names ending in a k sound. :-w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"