Special Needs

Pre-K Dual Enrollment

My DS has a speech only IEP and last year he attended the district Pre-K (half day). Over the summer I started working part time and I am unable to take him to that program 5 days a week. He has been going to daycare 2 days a week while I work. I tried to contact the district and school to see if I could bring him 3 days a week to the district program so he could benefit from the Pre-K as well as the speech, but no one seems to know the answer and they told me to just ask the teacher on the first day.

Does anyone else have their child dual enrolled in a similar situation? If they allow it I just don't want it to be too overwhelming/confusing for DS. But part of me thinks it would be a good option since I would have to take him to his home school for speech every week if he isn't in the district program. Thoughts?

Re: Pre-K Dual Enrollment

• edited August 2014
    I have had DS attend the district preschool with an IEP and the daycare at the same time. The preschool DS went to was a half day program.

The only option for us was to get the busing to and from the daycare in his IEP. We also have one vehicle.

Do you have SO that could help with the transportation?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You may be able to get busing from/to daycare included.
    a couple of the kids in DD's CSS class have busing for this reason.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • When we moved into the district and got the IEP they said he didn't qualify for transportation because the LRE for him is in a regular PreK, which is what he was in through the district.

My husband doesn't have the option to leave work so he can't help.
  • We had busing. It was a crazy day for DS, but in the end I think he really benefited from it. I'd drop off at his private inclusion daycare/preK, then a few hours later he'd be bused to his special ed services, then bused back to daycare/preK. Every day- 5 days a week. I think it made him more durable and able to transition.

• I don't think district busing is an option for us as it has been determined he can be educated in a regular ed preschool.

I'm trying to see if the school will allow us to go 3 days a week. Otherwise I'm not sure we have any options.
  • hopecountshopecounts member
    edited August 2014
    I'd still ask and check about busing, if he is eligible for this program I would hope he would be eligible for busing so he can access it. 
    ETA: depending on your area and situation is there a college student/retired Grandma/SAHM who would pick him up and take him to daycare for you for a bit of cash?
  • Who would I check with...the district office? Any child is eligible for his program regardless of IEP, its a sliding scale community program, which is why I think they would say he can access a program somewhere else and still be in a LRE.
    And we just moved from out of state recently so we have no family and no friends really...so I wouldn't know where to start on finding someone I could trust.
  • start with the district, I assume he is receiving his speech there which should put it under his IEP. 
    I would also speak with his IEP custodian and see what they say. It may be that it would be a IEP team decision (where his most appropriate placement is) which could mean that they could put busing under the IEP. 

Our church background checks the nursery/Sunday School workers so if you attend religious services it may be  worth finding out if they do the same. If so might not be a bad place to look.

• edited August 2014
    Does the daycare provide your child transportation to and from school?

I know I asked the daycare and they said "no." There are other day cares that drop off/pick up kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"