April 2013 Moms

What would you do?

As I previously mentioned, we had an offer accepted on a house.. our inspection is tomorrow and, pending that nothing major comes out of that, we will be closing in October. The house is about 20-25 minutes from where we currently live, which will put us at about a 35-40 minute drive to the hospital where I am set to deliver. Children's is connected to this hospital and the NICU is on the same floor as labor & delivery so they are ready to be present immediately should a neccessary situation arise.  There is a hospital closer to where we will be living (about 15-20 minutes), but it's a smaller hospital with no NICU.

So, my question is -- would you switch doctors/hospitals to be closer, or stick with what the hospital you are more comfortable in?  **Side note: live in MN, due in January -- weather could be a factor...**

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

Re: What would you do?

• I don't think I knew you were in MN -- which hospital, if you don't mind my asking?
    I always want to be where there is a NICU just in case.  I would think that 40 minutes would be plenty of time, but both my babies have been planned (induction last time, c/s this time), so I guess I might be nervous about a super fast labor too if I were going to be waiting for labor to start.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
  • Thanks for the opinions so far ladies! I should have added, I LOVE my doctor but the chances of her actually being there for my delivery are slim as she's only in the hospital on Tuesday's and one weekend a month. So, with my 1st, a doctor from her 'group' delivered.

@js1002, I live in an east metro suburb right now with plans to deliver at United.  The switch would bring me to Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater.

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

• Loading the player...
  • @megandscott07‌ is in that area and had to deal with NICU issues...

I'm lucky in that I live very close to Abbott and the U of MN, both of which have NICUs, but I would be strongly influenced by the hospital where your preferred OB/group delivers. That was the driving factor for me.
  • I would stay with your current hospital that you are comfortable with. When I had Cam the hospital I delivered him at was over an hour away.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • NICU. Definitely. Even for a supposedly straight-forward delivery, I would want the right team of baby doctors immediately available. And I would not want to be separated from my newborn
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Might I add... no doctor can predict whether or not your baby will need NICU care. I've seen some perfectly straight forward pregnancies go south at delivery (meconium aspiration is a common example) and I personally would want a neonatologist available
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • skidderdo said:

Might I add... no doctor can predict whether or not your baby will need NICU care. I've seen some perfectly straight forward pregnancies go south at delivery (meconium aspiration is a common example) and I personally would want a neonatologist available

Has this scare when Cam was born and was thankful to have the neonatol team right there to check him over. So definitely worth the hour drive to me to have the larger hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Unless you had a really quick delivery with you first, I'd stick with your original hospital. Not necessarily because of the NICU issue, but because you already feel comfortable there. Also, Will had meconium aspiration and my hospital only had a level II nursery. They were still amazing with him.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Thanks everyone! I had a LONG labor with B (40 hours), and my husband isn't too keen on the idea of switching hospitals.  Additionally, my grandparents are about 5 minutes from the bigger hospital so it would be additional comfort knowing they are close by since my parents are about 50 minutes away.

We chatted some more about it last night, and we will likely be sticking with the larger hospital. I appreciate everyones opinions and suggestions!

• I delivered my son at 35 weeks at my first choice hospital Woodwinds. They do not have a NICU but a special care nursery and The nurses took care of Jacob beautifully there. I assumed since I delivered so early last time that I should only consider United next time around since they're connected to Children's, but the OB assured me that I am fine to deliver anywhere unless they suspect problems next time around. This time I'm planning on Lakeview in Stillwater as well! I was hesitant but they were recently named one of the best hospitals to deliver at in the nation. BtW do you live in Stillwater or nearby? ;)

Anniversary

• I delivered my son at 35 weeks at my first choice hospital Woodwinds. They do not have a NICU but a special care nursery and The nurses took care of Jacob beautifully there. I assumed since I delivered so early last time that I should only consider United next time around since they're connected to Children's, but the OB assured me that I am fine to deliver anywhere unless they suspect problems next time around. This time I'm planning on Lakeview in Stillwater as well! I was hesitant but they were recently named one of the best hospitals to deliver at in the nation. BtW do you live in Stillwater or nearby? ;)
    I do -- I'm on the Oakdale/Woodbury border... about to jump the river over into WI though!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"