September 2014 Moms

EPO and Raspberry Leaf Tea

Sorry if this has been discussed, I scrolled back a few pages but it seems with all these beautiful babies being born if it has been discussed it's been at least a day or two. :) I was curious if anyone in their 'healthy baby' window has started using these? Or if you've used them before what was your experience? From what I've read, you won't induce your labor but the evening primrose oil helps soften the cervix and can help prevent tearing.

Re: EPO and Raspberry Leaf Tea

• I've been drinking this Third Trimester Tea every night for the last few weeks, and I got the okay to add EPO and red raspberry leaf capsules to my regimen at my appointment today. My MW said to take 900 mg of red raspberry leaf at each meal and insert 1000 mg EPO vaginally every night. No idea if it works since I didn't do anything like this last pregnancy, but I'm pretty desperate to avoid an induction this time around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think there's a lot of people who try all these old wives tales... I'd just make sure you discuss it with your doctor just in case.

• Loading the player...
  • I've discussed all this with my midwife. I was just curious as to what all the ladies here are doing. I started the EPO taking it orally and inserting vaginally at night after I hit the 37 week full term as to soften cervix. Midwife I might as well wait for the window although she doesn't believe this will start any labor she's hear so many of her clients swear by it. But she has said most of the moms that she's seen use it don't tear. But with a midwife you're attempting a natural birth where they try and guide you thru the birth and this prevents a lot of tearing too. No real proof for any of this. I just found the raspberry leaf tea (took four stores!) and plan to incorporate it too. But, I think with all the Braxton hicks I've had since week 20 or so my uterus better be in damn good shape!

• I am 38 weeks and started the Raspberry leaf tea!
  • @brittneyandadam, this didn't affect the window of healthy baby for the midwives in FL to allow for delivery out of hospital fortunately, which is already limited in my opinion. 
  • 37 weeks is term, 39 is full term.
    I got the go ahead to drink as much raspberry leaf tea as I want. My midwife said that there aren't many studies as to how effective it is but she likes how hydrated her patients get. ;)
    She said sex is probably the most effective form of cervical softening that she's seen. Soooooo very full-circle!
  • I started both today, at 37+1. My midwife would've had me start them at 36, but I only got them today. The goal isn't to induce labor, but to prime the uterus and cervix.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been drinking 2 cups of raspberry leaf tea since 36 weeks. Since I am trying for VBAC, this seemed to be the best way to "tone my uterus". But who even knows if it will work, but it can't hurt, and it's pretty tasty ~O)
    imageimage
  • I have been drinking it sporadically, which I think is pointless because you have to drink it for a week or two before it "makes any difference"
    .... Off to brew a cup.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea since I hit 37 weeks, which is when my midwife okayed it. But honestly I'm drinking it because I love the taste of it and loved drinking it every night when we were TTC. I missed it!
  • My OB ok'd the tea at 34 weeks! I see that's earlier than most of you ladies. It's not meant to induce labor, just tone the uterus, which is why I guess my OB said it was fine earlier. I started drinking it regularly last week at 35 weeks. You're supposed to drink 3-4 cups a day for it to be effective, so I've been cold-brewing it every night for the next day in a water bottle. I find it goes down easier as iced tea than trying to drink 3 cups of hot tea every day in the summer! 

I'm also eating six dates a day, which is also supposed to help give you a more efficient labor according to this study. I find them yummy and they are also helping to keep me regular, so I'm happy I'm eating them even if they don't help labor at all!

I plan to start EPO next week. Anything that might help!
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ahlome08Ahlome08 member
    edited August 2014
    Bought the tea today, instead of drinking 2 cups, I had one cup with 2 bags-aren't I smart? Lol also, figured since I've only recently been having BH and they've been pretty effective to start moving things along, I figure this tea might help to start some real contractions :)
  • That's crazy to me that some people are just starting to get Braxton Hicks! I've had them forever it seems! Guess it's good because I probably would have thought it was labor with how the intensity of them has grown as our uterus has but you lucky dogs! What's ironic is that the frequency of my BH seems to have slowed down as I get closer! WTH?

I brought a bunch of the tea to work with me today to drink cold with lemon as pp mentioned!

• I started drinking red raspberry tea and taking primrose oil during my last pregnancy from 40-42 weeks.  Baby was born at 42 weeks, and I had a 4th degree tear.  Everything all healed perfectly.  These remedies obviously didn't do anything for me, but I still have a bunch leftover so I'll probably do again starting next week at 39 weeks.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • drae86 said:

That's crazy to me that some people are just starting to get Braxton Hicks! I've had them forever it seems! Guess it's good because I probably would have thought it was labor with how the intensity of them has grown as our uterus has but you lucky dogs! What's ironic is that the frequency of my BH seems to have slowed down as I get closer! WTH?

I brought a bunch of the tea to work with me today to drink cold with lemon as pp mentioned!

Same here!  Mine have totally slowed down but I had been having them for 6-8 weeks pretty intensely.  They are really a PIA so I'm still glad they are slowing down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwife didn't want me to mess with anything that may start contractions, so no raspberry leaf tea. However, she did have me start taking EPO at 36 weeks. I take one of the gel capsules orally in the morning, and then stick one with a needle and insert it vaginally right before I go to bed. I'm trying for a natural delivery, and I think my midwife wanted me (and my cervix) to be as ready as possible ;)
  • @emilyve, It's weird that everyone says the tea brings on contractions. I haven't found that at all! But apparently it does for others, because I read a lot of stories about it! Some people take the tea throughout their whole pregnancy though too.
  • @drae86‌ I'm pretty sure it will on bring on contractions if taken in large quantities, but like so many healthcare professionals, our OBs and midwives have to cover their behinds to avoid lawsuits and such. Plus, like you said, it really can cause contractions for some people. Everyone's body is different and can react differently.
    edited September 2014
    Just from drinking it a couple of days my experience is if you drink a lot of the tea, they will def give you contractions, but won't necessarily start labor unless your body is ready. I thought mine was and just needed the tea to help. Um, no. They just made me actually feel my BH, and the hurt like hell, but I will take painless BH any day, because they don't help anyways.
  • @Ahlome08, That's interesting that they brought on contractions BH or not. I have been drinking a good amount of it or so I thought. Did you have any other symptoms from it? Last night, I thought labor might be starting not because of regular contractions (bc they weren't painful at all) about a minute long 3-5 min apart for hours (i attribute this to sex), but becaues i got sick. my body went into a kind of purge mode (prob tmi but from both ends) and doubt there was anything left in it afterwards. i knew this could be a sign and with contractions defgot hopes up bc went to nap and woke up with nothing! but i was curious if the tea has made anyone nauseous or anything?
    edited September 2014
    @drae86‌ it def made me hot and nauseous and also made me feel shaky. I stopped drinking it, but I was having 3 cups a day, but I would put 2-3 tea bags in each...so it was a bit stronger.
  • kayemgikayemgi member
    edited September 2014
    Ahlome08 said: @drae86‌ it def made me hot and nauseous and also made me feel shaky. I stopped drinking it, but I was having 3 cups a day, but I would put 2-3 tea bags in each...so it was a bit stronger.

Edit: Quote fail

That's 6-9 cups if you are making three cups and putting 2-3 tea bags in each cup! Recommended amount is 3-4 cups a day. You were probably overdoing it. I've been drinking 3 cups a day with no problems, very mild BH contractions sometimes, but not even every time. Of course everyone will react differently, but stick to the recommended amount to start with and everyone should be asking their doctors before using this stuff! Just a reminder!
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kayemgi‌ my midwife actually suggested it, since she said it couldn't do any harm. She also said I could drink as much as I wanted after 37 weeks since they won't stop labor then, and my cervix was looking favorable. I just decided I didn't want to deal with feeling my BH. I still get them, but they don't hurt as much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"