Working Moms
Options

Office: does size matter

I'm a lurker here, mostly still hanging around the loss boards, but I think this question fits best here. Will you have me? (About me: I work full time, DS is 11mo old, goes to a daycare center.)

I added a new staff member to my small team of 4. She will supervise one additional new person. The office that is being made available is in the same area as mine but is bigger. My boss' office is directly in between the two. Mostly, I really don't want to go through the act of moving and since she's new, getting her set up there would be a breeze. Our administrative manager thinks people will think my new person is actually my boss if she has the bigger office. Do you think that's true? Do you think it matters? Mine's about two thirds of the size but definitely has a better view. Both are adequate in terms of functionality and frankly either way they are pretty great spaces compared to many others around us. I work in administration for an academic medical university, if that helps at all. Hierarchy does matter but not as much as something like a law firm, I'm guessing.
TTC #1 since January 2011
BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
BFP#2 Oct 24, 2011, natural miscarriage, EDD unknown
After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
Cycle #22: Femara, TI, and progesterone = BFP!! 
BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!

Re: Office: does size matter

• Options
    When we moved into our new building my boss had the design team move a wall to make my office smaller and his bigger-prior to that they were close to equal size...and of course he sits in my office all the time and rarely uses his for anything.

I say it depends on your company though. Impressions are important and after you move no one will remember that you did it but the larger office is forever. So is the view though so maybe it's a toss up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options

Unless it bothers you, I don't think it matters. My old director opted for a small office but the new director is knocking down walls to make him a large one. Funny thing is he had one of the biggest offices in the building but decided he wanted to be up on the 3rd floor instead of the 1st floor...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're happy with your office then I'd say nice view trumps more space - having said that, the important thing is to make sure your new hire doesn't think she's your boss! So long as she's clear on the hierarchy everything should be fine 

(also - if your university is anything like the one I work in, she'll find herself sharing that office with someone else if it's that big!)
    2 children - DD born Dec 2004, DS born Jan 2007
    British born, emigrated to Canada 2006
  • Options
    hungryhippohungryhippo member
    edited August 2014
    If you're happy with your office then I'd say nice view trumps more space - having said that, the important thing is to make sure your new hire doesn't think she's your boss! So long as she's clear on the hierarchy everything should be fine 

(also - if your university is anything like the one I work in, she'll find herself sharing that office with someone else if it's that big!)

Yup! She could totally end up sharing. They try to give every manager their own space but it doesn't always work out. Space is so precious around here.
    BFP#1 April 12, 2011, EDD December 24, 2011, strong heart beat at 7w3d, d&c at 10w6d
    After RPL testing my losses and subsequent infertility are considered unexplained.
    BFP#3 Dec 21, 2012. Beta #1 @14dpo = 134, progesterone 67.8. Beta #2 @ 17dpo = 664! Team green, EDD 9/1/13, healthy baby boy born 9/12/13!
    imageimage  My chart.

Congratulations to the fabulous KGS2003! Her sweet boys are here! Grow boys grow!!!
  • Options
    Space is something that is dictated in our ofc. Will be askd to move if i were in ur place

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Eh, I would have said yes a year ago but after watching a year of "densification" occur in my company's office space, often with no hierarchy in mind, rather just driven by where an empty desk actually is, I don't think it matters.  People with extremely high positions are sharing offices.  In other companies in our field, assigned offices are nonexistent and people of all rank walk around with just their laptop bags squatting in available flex space.  If people make an assumption about your position about a few square feet, then that is their loss, who cares?

I would stay where you are if you like the space.
  • Options
    I absolutely hate pettiness such as attaching ego to office space so no, I would not move.  I also hate moving all my stuff and resettling in a new office.  

View is everything.  I have a view trees.  I wouldn't move to a larger office to overlook the parking lot.  Bleh.
  • Options
    True, I have granite in my office and my office is painted a color.  I wouldn't switch to an office that had different surfaces and white walls.  

So I guess maybe offices do matter to me but not necessarily the size. 
  • Options
    hungryhippohungryhippo member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the replies, all. I'm glad there are plenty of folks out there who think that tying office size to rank is leaning towards petty. Hopefully most of my coworkers won't care that a direct report has a bigger office than me, and for those who do I'll just point them towards my view. :)

@K3am and @MarlaSinger& - you make great points that size isn't the only thing that matters.
    ;)

ETA: Duh. I guess I should have also said I've decided to keep my office.
    imageimage  My chart.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"