Trouble TTC

Moving on over from TTGP.. Hello!

Hi everyone! I used to post a little bit on the TTGP board in the past, but I am thinking that this board is going to be better suited for me now. I have lurked in the past over here a bit, but am very familiar with the ways of the bump.

Here is my background: I am 25, DH is 32 and we have been officially TTC since July 2013. We have been together since 2010, and we got married in May of 2012. I say officially because I got my Paraguard IUD removed in May 2013, an we had sex in my suspected FW from the get go. We live in Iowa, and we work together in real estate (self-employed). We have a fluffy shelter cat that is a friendly/brat and a silly golden retriever that I love dearly (he is in my avatar). 

Regarding TTC: I temp, check my CM (which isn't very helpful for me, but I do it regardless), use OPK's and we use PreSeed now. We typically have sex ED -5 until +2, some cycles only EOD. 

My RE rant/where I need help from you lovely ladies: I had my first visit with my RE last month. It was determined that my ovaries are fine, I ovulate regularly, and that I have plenty of follicles. My bloodworm is all good, nothing of concern there. DH has plenty of healthy sperm. Initially, my ultrasound of my uterus was abnormal and showed some sort of blockage towards my cervix. I had an appointment on Monday, where they did an ultrasound again and the blockage was gone (I also passed A LOT of clots with this past cycle). This was never really addressed why this happened, if it was normal, but it had never happened in the past so doc wrote it off as a fluke. Today I go in for a HSG, which I am nervous for. 

I don't know that I really like my current RE, she has no sense of humor and doesn't really make me feel comfortable/very informed. I am very annoyed because Monday when I went in for the ultrasound, I was supposed to get the FemVue as well, but my RE forgot to schedule it/order supplies for it. This sounds off to me, but now I have to make a second trip today for the HSG instead.

Assuming the results of my HSG are normal, my doctor wants to move on to Clomid and IUI. Another reason I am leery of my RE is she wrote me a script for Clomid at my Monday appointment and didn't mention any talk of monitoring. I really don't want to take any medications, unless it is absolutely necessary. Is it possible to do IUI's without medication? Or is that pointless?

I know this has been kind of long, but I wanted to give a pretty informative intro! I look forward to getting to know everyone here and adding my insight to the topics. I am an open book, so feel free to ask any questions!

TTC #1 since July 2013
August 2014: Unexplained Infertility 
Me (25) and DH (32)
Married 5/18/12

Re: Moving on over from TTGP.. Hello!

• I'm sorry you had to make the switch to 3T, but welcome. Good for you for getting suspicious about the RE not mentioning monitoring with the Clomid. Definitely ask the doc to get specific on the treatment plan, especially if she can't pinpoint a reason you're having trouble. Also, like PP said, a second opinion when you're unsure of the first opinion never hurts. It can only confirm what this RE said or give you a new/better picture of the issue.

Good luck with the HSG! I hope you get some answers soon!

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• penelopec518penelopec518 member
    edited August 2014
    @rainbowbridge14Thanks for the advice on the painkillers/pad. I wasn't really told much to prepare for the appointment, which is why I decided to post here today before my 2:30 appointment! 

I do not believe cervical blockage is an issue going forward, I think that it was just one cycle. My period was abnormally light, so it makes sense that there were clots in there!

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome. I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon, it can't hurt. Good luck with the HSG!! Mine wasn't bad at all.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• @LindseyM2012 The lack of monitoring is one of the many things that I learned from The Bump. Had I not been a member, I would have not thought it was odd.

I am mostly nervous about taking the Clomid, because there was a very slight mention of potentially thin uterine lining. This was never elaborated on, and I plan to ask more today. 

I didn't have a chance on Monday, because I got the ultrasound and didn't get to talk to me doctor, because of the "miscommunication" about the FemVue. They kind of just rushed me away and threw free parking and a $5 coffee card at me!

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• @Hollowvic Well hopefully we both feel better about our second opinion today. I forgot to mention that I think due to scheduling today, I am actually seeing a different doctor. Where I go, there are 8 doctors and you can see any one of them for your appointments. 

Also, thanks for the reassurement about the HSG. It seems like I only hear about them being really bad for people!

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• @Buttmonkey34 I do plan on asking many questions today. 

Also, question for anyone, do you get the results of the HSG right away?

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• Welcome! I'm sorry you've had to move over here but I hope your stay is short.

The RE made sure I knew to schedule a CD10 or so monitoring appt when on a medicated cycle. I can't imagine an RE who wouldn't monitor for lining and number of follicles on a medicated cycle. Thinned lining is not really a "slight" risk, it often happens though not always in the first few cycles (although it can happen the first cycle). It can take time (multiple cycles) to build the lining back up, especially if it wasn't caught and got worse after a couple cycles continuing with Clomid. Cysts are another risk, but as long as your RE has you do the CD3 ultrasound, he'll catch any cysts.

For all diagnoses, IUI+meds have a much higher success rate than IUI alone, so unless there was a specific concern about using meds, I would certainly choose it. I also O regularly every cycle but it feels good to do something else to up our chances.

I hope you can get some good answers, and it's more just communication problems (which to me would be frustrating but not a dealbreaker) and not suspect medical practices. Good luck!
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Welcome! Good luck with the HSG.

I am also in Iowa! I live near Omaha, so I go to the Women's center in Omaha, and my RE is awesome. I love her. So if your RE doesn't work out, and you are anywhere near the area, check out Dr. Oakes at the women's center. They are on their stuff in that place, it's amazing. And I've met girls in there who come in from Kearney (about 3.5 hours from Omaha) to see her, and just do bw and such remotely in town. So they can definitely work with you if you live far away.

But good luck on your HSG. I had no pain at all with mine, but some women experience pain, so the ibuprofen could be a good idea.

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Hi there, welcome to the board.  Sorry you have yo be here, but you have come to a great place for advice and support (as PPs have already demonstrated).

My HSG wasn't bad at all.  The x-ray tech even showed me the screen so that I could see the dye in my ute and tubes...so at least for me I got the results while I was laying there.  Not sure what other's experiences with that has been.

I do know that some REs will let you do un-medicated IUI.  You just use OPKs until you get a positive and then call them.  However, I think most REs prefer to medicated cycles with monitoring because it increases both the chances you'll drop more than one egg and the chances that you will get the timing exactly right.  I have been using Clomid for my IUI cycles and we do a mid-cycle u/s to see how big my follicles are, followed my a trigger shot, and IUI two days later.  Besides, if it doesn't work after a few un-medicated cycles they will put you on meds anyway.

My experience with Clomid has been okay.  I also have unexplained infertility and haven't had any trouble responding to the meds.  I do get hot flashes like crazy and a few days of the month I feel like a total psycho with the mood swings...but if the payoff is getting a baby I will endure any amount of discomfort.  :)

Good luck at your HSG!  Just relax, it will probably be fine.

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• Welcome! Sorry you have to be here but what an amazing group of ladies :)

Good luck with your HSG. The worst part of mine was that the radiologist (my obgyn was on maternity leave) couldn't find my cervix and then couldn't get the catheter to pass. Other then trying to stay "in position" without stirrups it wasn't bad at all. 

I have just finished my second IUI with Clomid and our RE did absolutely no monitoring. I wish we would have done consults with multiple RE's and then made our decision. We are in the process of changing RE's now. Not monitoring during a medicated cycle is just irresponsible, and it will leave you questioning everything. I was always saying..... I wonder if I have any cysts, I wonder how many follies I have, I wonder if we even did the IUI at the right time (or should I just hand over the money and leave), I wonder if my lining is thick enough for implantation. 

Sorry for the book, but it's just not worth it if you are not getting the care you deserve!! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions for me :) Hope your stay is short and sweet!

We said "I Do" Nov 2009  ~  Trying for our first Jan 2013 
    Me: 26 years old  ~  H: 29 years old   ~ Unexplained infertility ~ ALL WELCOME!!! ~
    IUI # 1: March 2014 - Clomid 100mg , BFP, EDD 12/10/2014,  MMC 8w5d, D&C 5/6/14  

IUI # 2: August 2014 - Clomid 100mg, BFN
    September 5th: Consult with new RE--so happy we switched!!!

October-CD 3 bw, fluid sonogram, testing for NK cells. Possibly moving to IVF depending on results........bloodwork showed low AMH, elevated natural killer cells, H SA showed mild male factor. Officially signed up for Dec IVF with intralipid infusions.

• I just had an HSG last Friday. It was not a big deal. I took the 400mg of ibuprofen and didn't have much pain at all. The doc had a hard time getting the catheter into my cervix so it was a little uncomfortable and also nerve-wracking as I wondered what was wrong with my cervix and whether or not the test was even possible...

...but, it was possible, ideally the catheter and balloon go all the way in but the test can still happen without and it doesn't mean that anything is wrong with the cervix. So if the same happens to you, just relax and wait it out.

When you're done you'll likely think "That was easy!"

***** All Welcome *****
    ***** Siggy Warning *****

TTC since Dec, 2012. Me: 33; DH: 34

- Ultrasound to look at "lay of the land": normal
    - Blood work: normal
    - OPKs and ultrasound to confirm ovulation: Yes
    - SA for DH: Normal (a couple numbers on the low side of normal)
    - HSG: Normal
    - Doing several cycles of Letrozole, TI and progesterone
        - Aug cycle of Letrozole, TI and progesterone came back with a BFP-MC at 7 weeks.
    - Benched until Jan
    - Starting Letrozole, TI, Progesteron and HCG Trigger in Feb cycle

• My HSG was done in a hospital and there was a doctor there and he showed me everything and gave me a run down of his report.  Then my OBGYN looked at it and then my RE,.  So I got an idea of what my doctors were going to say to me before I left the room. 

Welcome to the board! and yay for the midwest...I'm in Michigan! :)
    Me (29), DH (32)
    Aug 2011  - Married
    Jan 2013   - Started TTC
    Jan 2014   - OB started some testing 
                         - HSG - Normal
                         - Ultrasound - Normal
                         - SA - Normal, but tested positive for Ureaplasma
                         - Both of us on antibiotics to treat ureaplasma
                         - Blood work - progesterone: 15.9, TSH: 0.89, FT4: 1.2, Prolactin: 33.4 
    Feb 2014   - Endometrial Biopsy - Normal
    Mar 2014   - Prolactin: 22.9, referred to RE
    Apr 2014   - First RE appointment, put on medication for high prolactin levels 
                      - Clomid (50 mg) 1 follicle, Trigger shot - BFN
                      - Second SA - All Normal, borderline morph (5%) 
    May 2014   - Clomid (100mg) 2 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN
                      - blood work: Estradiol: 32.7, FSH: 5.3, Prolactin: 14.1
    June 2014  - IUI #1, Clomid (150 mg), 3 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN 
    July 2014   - IUI #2, Clomid (150 mg), 4 follicles, Trigger shot - BFN
    Aug 2014   - IUI #3, Femara 2.5, 3 follicles, Trigger shot (first time done by DH!!) - BFN
                      - Hysteroscopy - Normal
    Sept 2014 - IUI #4 Femara 2.5, 1 follicle, possibility of another one, Trigger shot - BFN
                       -Progesterone test 4 DPIUI - 7.8...started crinone.
    Oct 2014 - IUI #5 Follistim 150 3 possibly 4 follicles - Trigger Shot - BFN
    Oct/Nov 2014 - Follistim 150 with TI & Trigger shot - ???

**October Siggy Challenge**

I don't even know what he is supposed to be!

**EVERYONE WELCOME!! :)**

• I watched on the screen as the dye went in and (thankfully) though my tubes. Dr even asked me to rotate my hips so he could get a better view. And I could see how far I needed to move to see one of the tubes that was hiding. It was pretty neat actually and keeps your mind off of whats going on "down there". Afterwards, he went through each snapshot he took and told me what everything was.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Welcome, welcome and sorry you have to be here. My RE is a little lame, but for the most part I deal with the physician assistants and nurses and they are WONDERFUL. I have seen my actual RE once during every cycle. I think he just tries to make an appearance once a month, which is fine with me. I would go through a cycle with her and see how you feel and if you are not comfortable with her check out another RE. 

In regards to the IUI I was surprised my RE wanted me on clomid since I ovulate on my own and have an insanely regular cycle. After doing some research and checking out this message board I decided to go big or go home and did two cycles of clomid+trigger+IUI and just did a cycle with clomid+trigger+TI since my DH has crazy good sperm. I respond really well to clomid with 3-4 mature follicles per cycle and haven't had any crazy side effects, though this last round I had bloody/super sensitive gums. If you really don't want to start off with a medicated cycle you can def just do an IUI. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• Thanks to everyone for all of your support! The HSG was a little rough for me! The hospital I go to is a teaching hospital, and I was lucky enough to have a 4th year med student perform it. They numbed by cervix with lidocaine, and the three needle pricks they did for that was not fun! I also had A LOT of cramping. 

I did get to see the pictures, and the dye as it went in and all is good! My RE made the comment that the dye went through very fast!

Surprisingly I am bummed about it, because I feel a bit helpless with the Unexplained Infertility diagnosis. 

Again, thanks for the support and I look forward to jumping in on the discussions!

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• @indiachicRN I am taking it easy, unfortunately my husband went golfing at 5:00 :( I gave him the okay to go, because I am in a poor mood and not very friendly! No need for both of us to be miserable!

TTC #1 since July 2013
    Me (25) and DH (32)
    Married 5/18/12

• @penelopec518 - Happy your tubes are clear!  I also have an unexplained infertility diagnosis.  I know how frustrating it is to not have any medical reason for TTTC.  It's a bummer, but at least your treatment options will be fairly straight forward and you know you can try some of the less costly and invasive procedures first.  Good luck to you!

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• Sorry to hear that your HSG was unpleasant, but that's great that your oviducts are clear!

Married and started TTC in July 2013

"Diagnosed" with unexplained infertility
    Oct 2014 IUI #1: 100mg clomid/HCG trigger/2 mature follicles/18mil post wash sperm count: BFP!!!

• Welcome! Sorry you find yourself here.
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"