December 2013 Moms
Options

Date Rape Drug-Detecting Nail Polish

Has anyone else seen this? It was invented by four college guys. I think it's really interesting. Thoughts?

https://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/24/these-four-guys-are-using-chemistry-in-an-unexpected-way-fighting-date-rape/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Date Rape Drug-Detecting Nail Polish

• Options
    I saw it this morning. It is a really neat idea. I wonder how well it will work in practice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    That's kinda what I was thinking, too. Also, how affordable would it be, and what all drugs would it be able to detect? I wouldn't want it to give a false sense of security or cause someone not to trust her instincts.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hrm. I'm not even trying to be a smartass here: My honest first reaction is that this is probably going to hurt more people than it's going to help. I can see dumb college kids making a party game out of this, much like they buy over-the-counter breathalyzers to see how drunk they can get :/
  • Options
    Who remembers to look at their nail polish though after they have been drinking?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @adawn1981‌ you are supposed to swirl your finger in the drink before you drink it.

From what I was reading, it is supposed to change whenever any of the three well known drugs are present.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    If it helps one person to avoid being drugged and raped it's worth it.
  • Options
    On a side note: my mom and I were talking about this today. I finally had the guts and window of opportunity to ask her why they didn't do anything after to help me when I was date raped. (I've talked about this before on a "stupid things that you've done in your youth post") My mom told me she did. She came up to where I was living and took me to the doctor the next day. She said I went in and wouldn't let her go in with me. She said when I came out I said everything is fine and that was it. I HAVE NO MEMORY OF THIS! Isn't that bizarre?? She also said they were in such shock and didn't really know what to do. She said dad wanted to kill the guy, although he was too nervous to bring it up to me. I never gave his name to them - probably a good thing. I would probably have a parent in jail lol.

Also I'm guessing since I didn't go to the doctor right away I wouldn't have had anything other than my word vs his word. But again, I have no clue what happened in that doctors office.

So again- if this can prevent this I'm all for it. Girls need to protect themselves because not all guys are the guys you think they are.
  • Options
    @Danicali I'm so sorry you went through all of that. I'm glad you were able to talk about it with your mom and I hope it was helpful. It's super weird, but I think it's pretty common for your brain to block out very painful or traumatic memories. I have very little recollection of some pretty explosive events involving my granddad before he started taking his OCD medication‌, and I was like 12, so definitely old enough to where I should remember.

Anyway, I agree with your point that the product is a good idea if it can prevent any rapes at all. I hope they are able to market it effectively and it successfully serves its purpose.

• Options
    @jaykay627‌ it's weird because usually when someone tells me something I did in the past I would then kind of remember it. But this was blank. No recollection. So weird.

Anyways - I've seen those articles and quite honestly they piss me off. I think that there will always be the guys who do this. Just like there are people out there who murder others. If there is something that can help someone then good. Date rape happens. And it happens a lot more than we think. There will always be the guys that don't use drugs but just get a girl really drunk and then have sex even though she doesn't want to. That's date rape too. And I don't know how you can change that culture in the blink of an eye. Some guys feel entitled. So if this can help girls then great!
  • Options
    And it's no different than wearing a seat belt to prevent flying out of a vehicle. Or shoes to protect our feet when we walk. It's something else to protect ourself - even if it won't work every time or in every situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"