October 2013 Moms

What do you all mean when you say "weaning"

I've seen several posts where people saying they are weaning their 10 month olds. I think the latest was @sleepy33‌ in the biting thread. Which got me wondering, when you say weaning, do you mean weaning from nursing but still giving formula, or do you mean weaning completely from bottles and giving wcm or something else at meal times/snacks? Just curious, as I'm sure I'm going to hit that stage here soon too!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you all mean when you say "weaning"

• Hmmm 10 month olds does not sound right hahah y'all know what I mean :)
  • SeeJayEmm said:

For me, I'm just starting the process of weaning him from some of his bottles but still giving formula in a sippy. So for me, the term "weaning" is just supplementing a sippy instead of the bottle. So far he's doing good!

So I'm curious because daycare mentioned we should start doing this but she drinks most of all of her bottles, I'm worried she won't finish it from the sippy cup...and isn't the formula only good for an hour? Am I over thinking this? Tell me your ways oh wise one @SeeJayEmm‌
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh sorry to be confusing. Weaning probably wasn't technically the correct term for me to use, IDK. I had been supplementing with formula for about a month b/c my supply was dropping and my stash was gone. Then I dropped my pumping at work (I was pumping 3+ times and only yielding about 4 oz total), was feeding only formula during the day and nursing morning and night. Then the biting happened, so I quit nursing altogether. I had to do a couple of brief random nursing sessions to relieve engorgement over the course of a few days, but then I was done. Now he's on about 24 oz of formula a day plus solids. So maybe more weaning myself/my boobs and fully transitioning to all formula plus solids.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I plan to gradually switch out bottles to WCM at 12 mo (maybe transition to sippy at same time or a week later? IDK)

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • OK, thanks! That helps a lot guys!
  • SeeJayEmm said:

@carawasa‌
    Ds usually has no problem finishing all the formula from his sippy. He'll occasionally leave an ounce or less but it only happens a couple times a week. Formula is only good for an hour, but like I said, he finishes all of it. Have you tried giving it in a sippy yet?
    He gets his morning bottle and night time bottle still, the formula in between those time parameters are given in a sippy. That night time bottle is going to be hell to wean him from :-S

Yea we have been using one for water for a while now, she likes to play "watch me be a fountain" and spits out all over herself. I think I'll start trying to put formula instead. I agree she loves that nighttime bottle! I'm not sure how that's going to play out :-??
  • I have been giving LO a sippy cup with water during the day, he drinks okay from it, but more often than not it all just dribbles out of his mouth and ends up all over his shirt. We are using the Nuk sippy cups. I tried the ones with the straws and even i had a hard time sucking anything out of them. Any recs on a different type of cup for him?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ColeslawderColeslawder member
    edited August 2014
    jnsmith85 said:
    I have been giving LO a sippy cup with water during the day, he drinks okay from it, but more often than not it all just dribbles out of his mouth and ends up all over his shirt. We are using the Nuk sippy cups. I tried the ones with the straws and even i had a hard time sucking anything out of them. Any recs on a different type of cup for him?!
    I have a recommendation! These ones from Target.  I was actually trying to pick out sippy cups at Target and when some lady saw me pick up the Nuk ones, she told me to do myself a favor and get those instead. She said she's tried everything and those are the only ones that don't leak and they're easier to clean. I didn't want to get them because they have Disney stuff on them and I'm just not into that, but she's really right. They're good!

ETA -- Whoa, the reviews are terrible. Yikes!
  • jnsmith85 said:
    I have been giving LO a sippy cup with water during the day, he drinks okay from it, but more often than not it all just dribbles out of his mouth and ends up all over his shirt. We are using the Nuk sippy cups. I tried the ones with the straws and even i had a hard time sucking anything out of them. Any recs on a different type of cup for him?!
    I have a recommendation! These ones from Target.  I was actually trying to pick out sippy cups at Target and when some lady saw me pick up the Nuk ones, she told me to do myself a favor and get those instead. She said she's tried everything and those are the only ones that don't leak and they're easier to clean. I didn't want to get them because they have Disney stuff on them and I'm just not into that, but she's really right. They're good!

ETA -- Whoa, the reviews are terrible. Yikes!
    We have been using the Zoli Bot straw cups-got them on Amazon. So far so good. The flow is easy to use and they have a weighted thing at the bottom so if they tip the cup up they can still get liquid out. It's a 50/50 crapshoot though with them and formula in it. Sometimes they suck it down other times they want nothing to do with it. 

We are starting to try and eliminate one afternoon bottle with the cups instead, but I still send an empty bottle to daycare in case they need to transfer. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • jnsmith85 said:
    @jnsmith85 I got two of the same Munchkin straw sippy cups in the $4 bin at BRU. One of them was almost impossible to get any water out of, and the other was much easier. I haven't messed with the difficult one yet, but there is a little piece in the top part that keeps the liquid from coming out if you turn it upside down. I was thinking maybe I need to take a pair of scissors or a knife and try to loosen/widen that opening somehow?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • vargasgurlvargasgurl member
    edited August 2014
    I have been weaning DD from nursing and she now drinks 50/50 BM/WCM ...my pedi said it was ok to skip formula at this point since she never took it in the first place.

She never liked the bottle so I have gone straight to sippy cup which she was already familiar with.

Next step will be to wean her night time feeding because she gets up more out of habit rather than hunger . I'm not doing this yet though.
    < image
  • After weaning, ideally how much WCM should LO be drinking every day along with solids? Trying to figure this out. I have quite a stash of BM that we'll be using and I'm slowly stopping pumping sessions, but not sure what the "end result" should look like. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • From 1-2, a child should be drinking 16-24 oz of milk a day, along with a variety of other full fat dairy products. If DS got too much milk, he'd get constipated so I always err on the low side of that and make sure he gets iron from other sources. I'll probably do the same thing with dd because when DS was a year, he would gorge on milk and not eat enough other food. The balance definitely took time to figure out. I still don't offer milk until after meals and he's 3 1/2.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • lynnyloo said:

Any suggestions on how to transition DD to drink her formula from a sippy or straw cup? She drinks water from sippy, straw, and regular cups like a champ. Once she tastes the formula in her sippy/straw cup though, she lets it flow right back over her lips and down her chin (drinks it just fine from the bottle).

This is our issue too! Water in straw cups are loved by my LO but formula is hated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"