Breastfeeding
Options

relationship with dad

For the first 6 weeks I had to pump and bottle feed dd due to her being born early. After 6 weeks,I was able to bf full time. At this point, dd decided she didn't have much need for my dh, and is very fussy with him. Did anyone experience this? Once you weaned your lo, did the relationship get any better since dh could feed your lo again?

image   image

Re: relationship with dad

• Options
    I agree with everyone. My DH has been primary bath giver, soother, and nap time master (when he is home, so weekends). He was a little sad when we stopped supplementing and went EBF, but got over it quickly when he saw how much less stress it was and how easy boobs are compared to bottles.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a really similar experience to you -- DD was 4 weeks early, and DH and I had to tag-team feedings at first thanks to a rather grueling BF/pumping schedule. That said, she was more attached to me at the beginning - whether because of boobs, or just because I'm her mama, I'm not sure - but that really did shift a bit now that she's older.

DH just had to find his own ways to bond with her that weren't about food! Which is tough at the very beginning, because they want to nurse all the time - but that does change over the course of the first year, and now at 14m, DD still nurses, but is totally happy to spend the day with her dad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another thing to mention....a lot of babies go through what I called the witching hour from around 5-8pm (yes, it lasted longer than an hour for us).  If that is when DH is getting home from work, it may seem like your LO is cranky just for him, when she was happy with you all day.  A lot of young babies just need to blow off steam at that time, and it unfortunately correlates to DHs arrival.  Give it time.  My DH has a great relationship with all 3 of our kids, and they were all BF long term.  He just became an expert at burping, bathing, etc. like everyone else mentioned.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"