Formula Feeding
Options

switching from BF to FF

Hi all,

My LO is 4.5mths and I've been BF since the beginning. My goal has always been to make it through six months and I think I'm going to make it. I would like to know more about switching from BF to FF before she reaches 6 mths. I really don't know where to start. Will I be able to feed her with a bottle when I start to wean BF? How do I know which formula to start with? Or how much to give-- is it the same as what she gets in a bottle of BM? Should I try to wean her before she starts solids at 6 mths to avoid compounding transition stress?

I've been on healthychildren.org and all over google. I haven't talked to my doctor about weaning from BF yet but doc did tell me she wants LO to try cereal before her 6 mth appointment.

Any help is appreciated. I love BF about half the time, but I would like to get some freedom back by implementing Formula sometime soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

Re: switching from BF to FF

• Options

Thanks for responding.

My LO is already used to the bottle (she gets two a day at DC) but I never give her one because I'm still BF. I wonder if she'll reject me giving her a bottle, which will just make me continue to BF her... forever.

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• Options
    sorry about the bold-- for some reason I couldn't edit that.

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have any formula samples? If not write to the common formula companies and ask for samples. Then try giving LO a bottle of formula. I'd mix up maybe 4 oz for the first bottle. If LO won't drink it, no big deal. Try again the next day. You may also need SO or someone else to give LO the bottle if she's never had a bottle from you. If you try a couple different formulas and LO won't eat any, mix the formula with BM (FYI, make sure you mix the formula with water, then add the BM, don't just put powder in with the BM). Maybe do a 50/50 mix for a few days, and slowly change over to all formula. It can take several days to a couple weeks to find a formula LO will drink. If LO doesn't like any powdered formula, try premixed formulas.

After that, its just like giving bottles of BM. Let LO eat until they're full. Use a slow flow nipple and hold somewhat upright during feedings so they feel when their belly is full. Burp frequently. At 4 months, my LO drank 6-8 4 oz bottles a day. At 6 months he was drinking 6-8 6 oz bottles a day.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just went through this. We found that the big key was a faster flow nipple (he is 8 months though) and a warm bottle. We tried cold. It didn't work. Also I found that the Similac Advance he liked. It doesn't have as strong of a smell/taste as some others. I started doing 1 bottle a day in the afternoon. I started with a 4oz bottle. Then I did two feeds a day (morning nap and afternoon nap) and now we do 4-5 bottles a day. Now we are up to either a 6oz/8oz bottle. I've had to keep track and I found my LO eats about 30oz of milk a day (we are now on all formula except MOTN). I would start with 4oz bottles. Since you're still BF you can always top up with breastmilk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"