Working Moms

WWYD re: learning about DC violations since the time you've enrolled

When we enrolled DS in DC this past winter, I checked our DC's violations and it was all paperwork/administrative type stuff that I didn't really care about.  Nothing that I batted an eye at basically.  Well being "crazy," I decided I should check again since he's been there six months and I like to keep abreast of these things.  I discovered two violations I am not pleased about, specifically one having to do with violating a provision regarding, "Children should not be left unattended at any time."  In our state, that's the only information you get, is the number of the licensing provision that was violated, and then you look up the provision and you see what it is.  There's no further information like what age child was involved, what happened, anything.  WWYD with this information, if anything?

We have been really pleased with this center, and DS loves it, and we love both DS's and DD's teachers.  I probably shouldn't, but I feel a little weird asking about it, like I was snooping on the DC or something.  I know I'm not literally snooping on them, but it feels weird to say, oh I was just monitoring the licensing status and whatnot 6 months after enrollment, and I saw this and I wanted to know what happened.  I almost feel like it's not my business or something?  Like if it was my child and an incident I reported, then it would be one thing, but I don't know...I'm assuming the parents involved have dealt with it directly already and it's kind of got nothing to do with me.  Would you just keep your eye on the licensing/violations reports to ensure it doesn't pop up again and is corrected (right now it's listed as "pending investigation")?  Ask a teacher you're comfortable with what happened?  Let it go because you're comfortable with the DC and you've never witnessed anything out of the ordinary?  I guess it sort of surprised me because the director/owner of the center is super strict and runs a VERY tight ship and the only violations in the past have been very few and strictly administrative.  What do you ladies think?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
 BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

Re: WWYD re: learning about DC violations since the time you've enrolled

• You should call your state's licensing dept and find out more information about the violations.  I did this when I was looking for an in-home daycare.  My state has the same basic information and something that was labeled "transportation violation" ended up being that the provider's driver's license had just expired and she didn't realize it.  Calling the state dept could be done completely anonymously and you could find out more info without risk of being looked at as "that mom" at daycare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Thanks ladies.  That's like EXACTLY my concern is being seen as "that mom" over something that could be totally innocuous.  I think it's partially because I'm just anxious overall (and unmedicated while I'm nursing which doesn't help) and partially because I'm an attorney so I'm just probably "overly" diligent about some things.  In our state, they don't require that the citations be posted (I wish they did!), so it's not like I could say, hey what's this about, without it being 100% clear that I did my own personal research on it.  I like the idea of calling the State Dept. to see what the heck happened (if they know).  Our DC does have a lot of school aged kids ages 6-12 so for all I know it was some 12 year old being left unattended for a minute while he was doing homework.  Our DC director is so super strict, and the teachers in our rooms are so amazing I just find it hard to believe any of them would have left like, the 2 year olds unattended for some significant span of time.  

@PrivacyWanted, that sounds like a crazy citation!  I see what you mean though about it possibly being totally innocuous.  Good to have that perspective.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Loading the player...
  • It isn't crazy.  DS has been in his current daycare for over 3 years.  I check every few months just out of curiosity.  I've had zero complaints or cause for concern and I still check the State's site.  

I wouldn't think twice about asking "hey, I noticed this citation.  Can I ask what happened?"  

Virginia's site goes into detail on the citation reason and results so I haven't really had to ask about any issues. 
  • I would ask the director, owner, board of directors (if they have one) or call the state like someone suggested and ask what happened regarding the incident as you are concerned.

We were at a church daycare where a teacher in the older toddler room hit and bit a child as punishment. It was in the news and there are many versions of the story from people that didn't even go there. We had been there about a month when it all went down but my child was not in that class. The new director gave limited answers (she wasn't there and probably instructed to due to the investigation) but I met one of the board of directors just by chance at an open house the church hosted and he spilled his heart out about what occurred to me and someone else.
  • Our state has details, but I just checked myself and luckily there was nothing serious since he started.  If our state didn't have details, I'd feel pretty comfortable asking the director.  I think that's a pretty valid question and I"m sure they deal with much more ridiculous things on a daily basis.
  • cedenton said:
    Our state has details, but I just checked myself and luckily there was nothing serious since he started.  If our state didn't have details, I'd feel pretty comfortable asking the director.  I think that's a pretty valid question and I"m sure they deal with much more ridiculous things on a daily basis.
    I love that I can see exactly what happened on our, even for a minor thing like an undocumented paper cut in art.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"