School-Aged Children
Options

Book recommendations for kindergarten

Hi all, just looking for some book ideas for my DD, age 5.5. she starts kindy tomorrow. she doesn't read herself. what are some books your kid loves? It seems like many picture books have too simple a story. I look at books lists on Amazon and the age ranges don't fit too well. they have 3-5 and 6-8. the 3-5 books are often too "babyish". 
Here are some books we like:
  •  Mo Willems "Elephant and Piggy" books (love them). 
  • The fathers Dragon
  • Mr Putter series by Cynthia Ryland
TIA for any ideas!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Book recommendations for kindergarten

• Options
    We Love...
    Those Darn Squirrels
    Not Your Typical Dragon
    Room on the Broom
    Curious George
    Green Eggs and Ham
    The Day The Crayons Quit
    Horsefly and Honeybee
    The Pout Pout Fish
    The Bearenstein Bears
    The Yellow Dress Day
    Tallulah
    Little Golden Books

DS is 6.5 and we're reading Pippi Longstocking, one chapter at a time. Next we'll try How to Train Your Dragon.

• Options
    My DS1 had a bit of a rough start reading in kindergarten, his teacher recommended the Biscuit books. There are a ton of them and they are great for new/beginning readers. Jack loved them. We also love the Mo Willems books. They are really funny. We are now reading the Mercy Watson books. They are chapter books but he is doing really well with them. Ask the teacher what she recommends. Ours would send home the book that they read in class that day for Jack and I to go over at home. It was really helpful reinforcing what they had learned. Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD loves Dr. Seuss books these days.  And anything Disney princess.  We also got her a National Geographic book called the Book of Why that she is very interested in right now. 
  • Options
    DS just started kindergarten. He is not reading on his own yet. He likes Splat the Cat and Molly Lou Melon books. He also loves National Geographic early readers about animals.

At school, his teacher has been reading Llama Llama Red Pajama to teach about rhyming words.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Ditto the idea of switching to chapter books.  When my kids were at the stage where they couldn't read independently yet, but were really outgrowing picture book stories, I began with simple chapter books.  I still read out loud to my kids every night, and I always pick books that would be challenging for them to read independently.  I keep upping the stakes as they get older!

When my kids were in K and 1st, we read school-aged classics like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, The Cricket In Times Square, etc.  I saved easier, shorter series books like Magic Treehouse for them to read independently when they could. I feel like hearing these more complicated books with more complicated language actually improved my kids' reading comprehension when they did learn to read. 

You'd be amazed at how much kids can understand when you read out loud.  Don't underestimate them.  When my son was 7, we read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn -- a book my 9th grade students read in my English classes.  Did he understand every nuance?  No.  Did he understand the story enough to know what was going on and enjoy it?  Yep!  He just mentioned that his 4th grade classroom has Tom Sawyer on the shelf, and he's excited to read that on his own.  But not ever book is a winner.  We tried to read The Westing Game around the same time as Huck, and it was too confusing.  We decided to wait for a while and chose another book. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    These are all awesome ideas! Thank you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"