Special Needs
Options

Transportation ?

My 9 yo DS has special transportation currently part of his IEP.  He has ridden a min-bus since pre-k when he was non-verbal. He is now fully verbal and I believe capable of riding the regular bus with an aide present.  We also have pay for busing in our district unless special transportation is deemed necessary as part of the IEP.  Trevor desires a more typical school experience. He attends school in a separate setting with mainstreaming for some subjects. He receives 1:1 reading instruction using the Linda Mood Bell program, has speech services to help with comprehension , a specific behavioral plan and after school tutoring. I am thankful for all of these services. I feel allowing him to ride a regular bus will perhaps boost his self confidence. Should I request a team meeting to discuss transportation? What factors in to such a decision?

Re: Transportation ?

• Options
    He does not have a 1:1 and we have moved him to an inclusion setting for science and social studies which is a step towards more independence. By aide I meant more making sure at least a bus monitor is present. Eventually, he and my younger son will be in the same school so I would like them to ride together.  Our long term goals are also employment and perhaps college . He would have a very short bus ride as we live 5 minutes from the school and I pick him up any way a chunk of the week.  Going to think about this one as we approach triennial testing this fall and another re-write of his IEP in December.  

Thanks as always for your informative responses!  I was unaware you are dealing with family matters. In my thoughts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"