August 2014 Moms

Stupid questions from FTMs with outside babies

As a spin off from our previous thread of stupid questions before most of our babies escaped, I thought maybe we could start another. STMs, help us out..... My silly question: Let's say you're alone with baby in public (the mall, grocery store, etc) and YOU have to pee. How does this work? Do you hop in a handicap stall and put the baby on the ground? What if there isn't a larger stall? It seems gross to throw the car seat on the floor of a disgusting bathroom.

Re: Stupid questions from FTMs with outside babies

• Yep, take the whole stoller in with you. Or leave the stroller outside and go with the stall door open -- i've done this, the key is using the very last stall. Or take the baby in with you, hold baby in one arm and take care of your business with the other hand. You get reallllly good at pulling up your pants and buttoning them with one hand, lol. It gets really tricky when you have more than one kid and they're not old enough to go by themselves. :-)
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always just put the carseat on the ground in the stall, but stuff like that doesn't gross me out. Or I bring the stroller in the big stall if I have it with me. When they aren't in the carseat I just hold them in my lap. Nothing makes you feel better about yourself than popping in public while your child is on your lap. As far as bathing, I don't even give my toddler a bath every night. Every other if he has been playing hard or gets dirty, but if we haven't left the house in a couple days it gets stretched out, especially now with a newborn. The new baby gets bathed about every other day, unless he pees on himself during a diaper change.
  • MC03MC03 member
    theteno said:

I have one! How old should baby be when they begin getting nightly baths? Our hospital nurses said to bathe him every other day right now. 

We started nightly baths at about 6 months when DD1 started daycare and solid food. We did it at that time because she started needing it more because of the food and daycare. Before that we did every few days. It really depends on what you want to do I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Do you really have to wash the breast pump parts after every time you pump?  When I go back to work I am not taking the breast pump parts to the communal kitchen sink and washing them up.
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
  • I put the carrier on the floor or just bring in the whole stroller with me.

Baths: Every other day seems like a lot for a Newborn IMO.

I wash the pump parts after each use.

The fun age for me was around 10 months.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @OutdoorGirl10‌ you can put your pump parts in the fridge and not have to wash them or you can buy some medela cloth things to wipe the milk off your parts.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • OK, I'll go. When do you start doing more with your LO during the day than just eat, sleep, change diaper?

It gets more fun and interactive when they start reaching for things around 3-4 months.

• OK, I'll go. When do you start doing more with your LO during the day than just eat, sleep, change diaper?

I chit chat with her when she is awake.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MC03MC03 member

OK, I'll go. When do you start doing more with your LO during the day than just eat, sleep, change diaper?

It gets more fun and interactive when they start reaching for things around 3-4 months.
    This. It was right when I had to go back to work that she got more "fun" and interactive at 3 1/2 months.

imageimage
  • I usually am wearing so I just go while wearing him. Otherwise I sit him on the floor in the carseat.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When you are shopping at a place with a cart, where do you put he infant seat? I see so many people put them in the front (where an older baby/child would sit), but I was at target and my seat def didn't fit there safely. So, I out the seat in the cart and then I had no room for shopping items!

I just use the basket under the Snap & Go as the shopping basket. So far no one has assumed I'm shoplifting. I save big trips for going alone. Grocery shopping alone = mini vacation. We've never been big on family trips anyway and DH is happy to "let" me go alone at nights or on weekends.

• I don't know what to do at night. LO has been sleeping so soundly for the past 2 hours but he's got a really red tush so I'd like to change him, yet I don't want to disturb him.
  • I thinked we covered this before but I'm mobile so searching is out. Do you ladies diaper change as frequently at night as you do dayside? We only change before and after feedings unless DD gets fussy and lets us know she wants a change. Is this horrible?

I change before a feeding every 2-3 hours and only after if I know she pooped. That's day and night.
  • MC03MC03 member
    @stoofewok if you're worried about weight gain ask your pedi's office if you can just stop by to use the scale. I know a lot of pedi's allow that. Or our hospital has a breast feeding support place where I can stop by anytime to do a weight check. Sometimes it's nice to just get some peace of mind so you can stop worrying and relax about it.

imageimage
  • Do you really have to wash the breast pump parts after every time you pump?  When I go back to work I am not taking the breast pump parts to the communal kitchen sink and washing them up.
    You can put them in a Ziploc bag, and place them in the fridge immediately. You can then reuse them once or twice before washing them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• @MrsDuarte8185‌ My kid is the worst burper ever. I try and try - different positions, different strengths of my pats, rubbing her back in circles. Nothing works. I try for several minutes, put her down propped up, and try for another minute. Then I give up.
  • Yes this one is a wet burper. Every time. He's much gassier than my first.

• When DS is awake and I am holding him he wants to nurse constantly. If I feed him and give him to DH, he will be fine for awhile. It's like he smells milk on me. I am not sure if he is truly hungry or if it is more of comfort thing, but I do feed him on demand. He doesnt take the paci more than a minute or so. Anyone else experience this?
  • When DS is awake and I am holding him he wants to nurse constantly. If I feed him and give him to DH, he will be fine for awhile. It's like he smells milk on me. I am not sure if he is truly hungry or if it is more of comfort thing, but I do feed him on demand. He doesnt take the paci more than a minute or so. Anyone else experience this?

Yes! Little smarty pants! Every time I hold him he tries to get some boob when I know he just ate, makes it frustrating cuz I want to feed on demand. So DH holds him for a while or I put him in his swing and he's good for a little while.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yup, same thing here.  It's rare I can hold just hold him without him looking for a boob, even if he just nursed for a half hour.  If I want to hold him, I have to distract him with rocking/swaying and talking/singing.. but just sitting down, holding him - forget it!

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsDuarte8185

1.  My baby only seems to burp once in while, definitely not after every feeding.  I only give a try for a minute or two and then stop if nothing's happening.  I figure if he doesn't need to burp, then that's fine.

2.  I don't see why you can't do skin to skin if there's a thrush infection.  In fact, from what I've read, you can continue to nurse despite the infection.  However if your nipples are really sore, then you can take a break for a couple days or so by pumping instead, but it isn't absolutely necessary.  Hope you feel better soon!

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone else feel nauseous or thirsty while BFing pumping? I thought it was odd, then I googled it & apparently it happens because of hormones.
    Anyway, the nausea part is awful at 2AM.
  • No nausea but I drink gallons of lemonade spiked water. My pedi said burps aren't needed after breast feeding.

Seems like I heard i should change ds diaper before feeding so he'll drift off to sleep but half the time he poops during a feeding. I can't tell you how many times he gets two new diapers in ten minutes. What is everyone else doing.

Another question, when i use a bottle he dribbles half of it out. Is that normal? The neck of his sleeper gets wet even with a diaper and a bib to try to keep him dry. Breaks my heart when the bottle has breast milk in it. I ordered another brand of bottle to see if that changes anything.
  • No nausea but I drink gallons of lemonade spiked water. My pedi said burps aren't needed after breast feeding.

Seems like I heard i should change ds diaper before feeding so he'll drift off to sleep but half the time he poops during a feeding. I can't tell you how many times he gets two new diapers in ten minutes. What is everyone else doing.

Another question, when i use a bottle he dribbles half of it out. Is that normal? The neck of his sleeper gets wet even with a diaper and a bib to try to keep him dry. Breaks my heart when the bottle has breast milk in it. I ordered another brand of bottle to see if that changes anything.

Maybe a nipple with a slower flow?
    Pregnancy Ticker

1) Your pediatrician is nuts. It may depend on the child, but some kids absolutely need to be burped after breastfeeding. My DD1 would have exploded otherwise.

2) I have been changing this one after she finishes off one boob. The change wakes her up, and then I give her the other side for a bit. Usually she only eats a bit and then falls asleep. Then I start on that same side the next time.
  • I like the idea of changing mid feed, he rarely can stay awake for the second boob.
  • Yes this one is a wet burper. Every time. He's much gassier than my first.

For the first time I REALLY wish I was more tech literate and could post a couple pics. DS2 had the most epic spit up all over me when I tried to burp him earlier, my mom got the most hilarious play by play pictures of my grossed out face, the curdled milk running down my back, and then dS2's sweet calm face, wide eyed and completely splattered in milk. Oh man we were laughing so hard...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"