July 2014 Moms

LO's belly button

Anyone else have a LO who is still having discharge from their belly button?

My LO is 7 1/2 weeks and still having a small amount of discharge. His stump fell out really early (accidently got pulled during a clothes change), so I am wondering if that is why he hasn't fully healed? It does not appear infected or bothersome.

Re: LO's belly button

• seellsseells member
    edited August 2014
    Were you using rubbing alcohol to dry it out since the stump fell off?
  • Call your pedi. Mine said if it was still oozing after a couple of weeks that they would have to coterize (sp?) It in the office for us so that it wouldn't get infected.

Not saying them do that, but you should check with them first before putting anything on it.

• Loading the player...
  • Yea give a call to the pedi- DD had hers cauterized, very quick and painless procedure in the office.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • @seells‌, no we weren't using alcohol per the doc's instructions while in the hospital. Apparently they aren't recommending that anymore around here.

Thanks @Matthew930‌ and @littlemissmarla‌, I was thinking about calling but hesitated since I didn't know if this could be "normal" or not. I will for sure be calling in the morning!
  • My LO had the same issue. Our dr put a silver compound on it and it took care of the situation
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • DDs stump fell off early and kept oozing and bleeding. They ended up using the silver compound on it and had to do it a second time because the first one didn't work. It literally looked like a giant match and the pedi cleaned the area then swirled the match looking thing in the belly button to seal it off.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just wanted to update you all and say thanks again for the info! I called the pedi and took LO in for an appt today. They did end up putting a cotton swab of silver nitrate on to what they called a granuloma. If it's still draining next week, we need to go back in. I feel bad and probably should have called sooner. I guess that's what you get for trying not to be a crazy, overly concerned FTM. Lesson learned!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"