October 2013 Moms

can we discuss coats/jackets?

Last year, I didn't worry as much about a jacket because we had one of those covers that went over the car seat. This year, our kiddos won't be in the infant carriers, so I suppose we would need a heavier jacket, but it can't be bulky because of safety issues, right? I assume the same rules apply. So, educate me. What do we do about keeping our little ones warm getting to and from the car?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: can we discuss coats/jackets?

• It doesn't't get that cold here so we will put DS in a jacket. However if it gets cold enough to need a bigger jacket we will take it off once in the car. We also keep a blanket in the car mostly for him to play with but it will be there if he needs it.
  • I'm planning on putting her in a fleece for to and from along with inside the car. We also have a great hand me down puffer coat that we'll use outside and put on backwards over her straps if the car is super cold.
  • Loading the player...
  • Unless we are going somewhere we'll be outside for an extended period of time, I have a mid-weight sweater that I just ordered from Carter's that I plan on layering over a long sleeve onesie/shirt.  We have mittens and a hat that we'll put on him as well when we're going out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I already bought DS a fleece jacket, a sweater, and a thin cotton jacket that he can wear in the car seat. They should be enough to get him from the house to the car and the car to wherever, but I will also buy him a warmer coat to put on him when he is out of the car seat and needs more.
    imageimage
  • Thanks ladies. I assumed a fleece jacket or something not as puffy would work. I won't fight DD to put a jacket on just to walk to the car and take it off there.  Too much work.  I guess she should have a heavier jacket for when we're out though, right?  Putting the heavier coat on backwards over the straps is a good idea too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Here in GA it doesn't get too cold, so I warm up the car and then will have either a long sleeve hoodie or light fleece. They will probably only wear a thicker coat if they are in their stroller or we're out and about outside for an extended period of time. 

That and they have their hats to wear as well. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It gets frigid here, so I bought a couple fleece jackets, including one that zips into a heavier coat, so I'll probably end up putting him in just the fleece and then zipping the jacket on after I take him out of the car seat. No idea what to do about footwear yet.... 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • stephl3055stephl3055 member
    edited August 2014
    Can they not wear any jacket when strapped into the carseat, or is it only certain materials?  I can't remember the rules.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • Fleece jacket for car rides and a bulkier winter coat for outside play.  I also keep a couple blankets in the car I can always cover them with if it is really cold.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Can they not wear any jacket when strapped into the carseat, or is it only certain materials?  I can't remember the rules.  
    I think the rule is, they can wear whatever as long as you don't have to adjust the car seat straps any bigger to accommodate it. So it must be slim enough or compress enough to fit with the straps at the same length as when they are just wearing regular clothes.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • KerCo51 said:
    I am not ready to participate in this discussion.

#slowdownsummer
    I can't get there mentally yet.  All of the stores are starting to get their fall and winter clothes in.  Sorry, it's going to be 1000 degrees for the next month and in my mind fall = Thanksgiving.  I will probably be in short sleeves until at least mid-October.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • KerCo51KerCo51 member
    edited August 2014
    KerCo51 said:

#slowdownsummer
    I can't get there mentally yet.  All of the stores are starting to get their fall and winter clothes in.  Sorry, it's going to be 1000 degrees for the next month and in my mind fall = Thanksgiving.  I will probably be in short sleeves until at least mid-October.  
    It was bad enough a few weeks ago when the stores started bringing out their Halloween stuff.  Now some stores have Christmas stuff out.  Ugh. 

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• KerCo51 said:

KerCo51 said:

#slowdownsummer

It was bad enough a few weeks ago when the stores started bringing out their Halloween stuff.  Now some stores have Christmas stuff out.  Ugh. 

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

That being said, August is a bit early.
    imageimage
  • KerCo51 said:

#slowdownsummer
    I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!! That being said, August is a bit early.
    Boo!  I love summer!

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• Thanks for posting this. DH and I were just having this conversation on our drive tonight. I said would just check with the bump ladies, they will know the answers.
  • When DD was that age we did a fleece jacket and hat then covered her in a blanket. I'd wrap her in that blanket to carry her in and out of places. I never bothered getting boots since I would always hurry and carry her so she just wore regular shoes. So yeah, that's my plan now for DS this winter. Fortunately her old Columbia fleece in 2t was black, so that's what he'll be wearing.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"