Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Does Anyone Else Work With Kids?

I'm a child therapist, and have been struggling with my job this week.  My clients are trauma survivors and many tell me they wish I was their mommy (this has been tough to hear since my m/c!).

I'm curious if there are any other teachers, daycare workers, etc. on this board that can commiserate.  

Re: Does Anyone Else Work With Kids?

• Options
    I don't currently work, but I can definitely understand how difficult that must be. I used to manage group homes for adults with developmental disabilities and even that was hard for me because of the relationship we had and comments that would be made. I couldn't imagine working with children and having to keep composure in the times after a loss.

I hope it gets easier for you soon. *hugs*
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    I am a child and youth worker for at risk teens. I have summers off as I work for the school board. Going back in September is something that I keep thinking about. I'm am not too sure how it is going to be. I know a lot of my days are filled with high stress issues. Normally this comes very naturally to me, to be the strong one, someone that they can come to and depend on. I just don't know if I'm that strong anymore?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a child and youth worker for at risk teens. I have summers off as I work for the school board. Going back in September is something that I keep thinking about. I'm am not too sure how it is going to be. I know a lot of my days are filled with high stress issues. Normally this comes very naturally to me, to be the strong one, someone that they can come to and depend on. I just don't know if I'm that strong anymore?
    Being strong is absolutely NOT synonymous with not having emotions. You know what makes you strong and able to help those kids? Being empathetic and pushing through. Being strong means being able to face difficult situations and not giving up or backing down. It means no matter how helpless you may feel, you don't give in to it and you keep going. 

They can still depend on you. Even the strong must rest. Take some time to take care of YOU. 

Sorry, I'll end my rant. lol. I just don't ever want anyone thinking they're not strong just because they're having a difficult time. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Options
    I work at a children's museum that sees over 1.2 million visitors a year. Most of those visitors are, obviously, children. As we are finishing up the summer season, we are still getting a lot of family groups -- lots of very young infants & pregnant moms running after older children. I have to work with the public every day for two hours. It is an endless parade of babies, pregnant women and small children. It was hard enough when I was just struggling with infertility, but this last week since my MMC has been incredibly hard. I have managed not to break down when working with visitors, but I have had to turn away a few times to regain my composure and I have had several good cries before and after my shifts. It is so hard! I do not see it getting better any time soon.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• Options
    EllyD14 hit the nail on the head.  Strength is not the absence of emotion; it takes strength to admit that something is hard or painful!

Thinking of everyone today... ((HUGS))
  • Options
    I teach high school. I'll have the added bonus of seeing pregnant teenagers and wishing they would give me their babies.
  • Options
    I teach preschool and it was most definitely hard. I only had to do it for two months after my loss before school let out but it was so hard. There was a woman with a three year old and she had just had a baby. She was the one I couldn't handle. When she would drop off/pick up I would make an excuse to go to the office. The baby was born the week after my miscarriage. I just couldn't. I did finally get to where I didn't have to leave the room but it was hard. I told my co-workers the situation and they covered for me. Over the summer I was supposed to work in a toddler room at the daycare next to our preschool but I couldn't do it so I took a summer without pay. School for me starts in a few weeks. I'm excited but nervous to meet all the new families. It's so hard that I've loved children my whole life and wanted to work with them but now being around them hurts.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I'm currently in school to get my RN, so I work part time as a nanny. I haven't been back since our loss because it was very recent. But I'm about to start watching my infant nephew for my sister and as much as I love him, I know it's going to be challenging while we're going through this. The kids I watched before were ages 3 to 6. My sister at least is very supportive and has been here for us through it all. I am scared of how much this is going to hurt though. :(
  • Options
    I am a biomedical engineer at a large hospital and unfortunately this month I have been assigned to work in Maternity, Neonatal ICU, and Pediatric ICU.  I know I haven't officially introduced myself yet but I JUST went through a miscarriage days ago and today I had to leave work early because I started crying in the NICU and had to run into a closet.  I never told anyone at work about the pregnancy and definitely don't want to now so I doubt I'll be able to change my floors.  Is it September yet??
    BFP#1: 7/19/14  -  EDD: 3/26/15  -  MC: 8/14/14 @ 8w
    BFP#2: 9/14/14 - EDD: 5/28/15 - MC: 11/6/14 @ 10w
  • Options
    ((Big Hugs))
  • Options
    *Ticker warning*

I run a daycare out of my home (6 kids) and the days after both of my miscarriages were very difficult. But, in a weird way, they also helped keep pushing me forward because I knew I need kids in my life!
    Our Novel of TTC:

*Male Factor (low count and low motility), High Prolactin, and Polycystic Ovaries (March 2013)
    *Recurrent Miscarriage testing also revealed high anti-phospholipids & single MTHFR mutation. (Feb 2014) 

*IVF (07/2013): BFP-Natural Miscarriage @ 5 weeks* <3 Madison Riley <3
    *FET #1 (10/2013): BFN
    *FET #2 (12/2013)- BFP-Missed Miscarriage at 8 weeks <3 Kyle Andrew <3
    *Chromosomes and Karotyping tests were both normal.We lost a healthy baby boy :(
    *FET #3 (04/2014) was cancelled after finding Chronic Endometritis
    *Miraculous BFP July 2014!! (I was taking baby aspirin and Cabergoline to stay regulated while "taking a break from TTC" and waiting to consult with a reproductive immunologist!!!) 

Our healthy baby girl was born 03/10/15 thanks to daily Lovenox injections and baby aspirin. There are no words for how grateful I am for our rainbow baby. <3
  • Options
    I'm a LMFT working with teens. Most of my clients are trauma survivors too. Right now I'm not sure what's going on with my pregnancy. My Dr. thinks it's anembyronic, but I'm going back next week to find out for sure and see where to go from there. It's been tough trying to digest all of this news and still be able to bring my best to work. It sucks because I know they are going through some real stuff too and they really need me to be present, but I also want to close my office door and cry on my couch.

I know what you are dealing with. We have a tough job because it's hard to give our clients our best when we are going through something like this. Try to give yourself a break. Sending my support your way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"