January 2014 Moms

Sensitive baby

Anyone else going through this? My mom and mil don't remember this happening with their kids (of course it's been a while).

M has suddenly become sensitive to people sounding upset. I yelled for DH recently and he started crying. I didn't think anything of it because I was being a bit loud. Then 3 different times this week someone has said "oh no" or similar in a shocked/upset tone and again he immediately went from happy to crying (3 different people and different environments)

I didn't think much of it. They have to eventually become aware of tone/emotions right? But then the family elders seemed surprised.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

Re: Sensitive baby

• DD is almost 2 and does this. When she was a baby she would stick her lip out or cry. Now if I'm crying she hugs me and kisses my forehead. If someone is mad they get a hug. If someone fake cries she cries. She's very sweet. When I had morning sickness she would walk into the bathroom and pat my back. I don't think it's strange. When I yell at DH, DS will start crying and DD hugs me.
  • E rolled to me in her walker and we were both so excited. I was clapping and she was laughing then I said "yaaaaaaaaaay" and all holy hell broke loose. I've never seen her cry the way she did at that moment, and for the next few minutes!!

Who knows!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • In one of the Babycenter or Bump weekly email updates i got this week, it said that now is the time they start learning about emotions and reacting to others emotions, so it seems that that is on par with the "standard" development. DD has not really started doing this yet that I've noticed.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Arya808 said:

What @MrsW062610 said. I think each baby has a different experience when they begin to learn about their own emotions. Just because their children didn't have the same experience it doesn't mean you should be concerned. Remember the one youtube video of the little baby who cried every time he heard mom sing? 

On the topic about family elders, the ones in my family always have something to say about everything. DH's grandmother went on a rant last week about how back in her day babies weren't swaddled and they turned out just fine and blah blah blah. I just have to keep reminding myself to smile and nod. 
    I really hate when people use the argument "I did _________ and everything turned out fine."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• @Arya808‌ ugh. That sounds super annoying. My MIL has only used that line once. However, my husband's brother DIDN'T turn out ok (not even gonna go there), so her argument is invalid.

Disclaimer: I really do love my mil.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• @nolagal79‌ I've got to admit I cracked up at her crying at yay! I know it probably wasn't funny at the moment, but that's "reasons my kid is crying" worthy :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• When DH and I get into an argument, DD doesn't get upset, but she becomes incredibly aware of how we are interacting to the point where we often abruptly stop fighting because we do not want her to see us angry / lashing out at each other. It's probably only a matter of time before she learns how to actually react to anger or us being upset. It sounds like your LO is totally normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"