December 2013 Moms
Options

Potentially flameworthy question...

edited August 2014 in December 2013 Moms
Let me preface this by saying I'm just looking for opinions, haven't actually done this.
DS1 starts kindergarten tomorrow (woo!) and the bus picks him up at 7:30am.  We live at the end of a small cul de sac street within a large residential neighborhood.  The bus stop is 2 houses down on the corner of our street and another road.  If I had to guess I'd say it's about 70 feet and within clear sight.  So here's my potentially flameworthy question, if DH is out of town and the baby is still sleeping at 7:28am, would it be awful for me to run DS1 down to the bus stop without waking the baby to take him?  His monitor signal reaches, so I could take that.  Also my neighbor and very good friend will be at the bus stop with her son so in a pinch I could walk him to the stop and leave him with her and be back to my house in less than 1 minute.  Thoughts?  

DH is out of town a lot but the baby rarely sleeps past 7:30, but when he does he will sometimes sleep until 9 or 9:30 and I get so much done on those days!!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potentially flameworthy question...

• Options
    I had a similar situation when DS was a baby and DD#1 needed to get on the bus, I was out of the house for 45 second to a min tops and I never felt bad about doing it. I figured it was like running to check the mail during nap time. I wouldn't linger at the bus stop. In that case I would take LO with. Our bus was kind and understood the situation and would pull up and honk and then give 3 mins to get to it. So I would just have DD ready and when I heard the honk we would run out. Or could you possibly have your neighbor grab your DS on her way to the bus stop as well (after the first day of course). Just a thought. That is my 2 cents. :)
  • Options
    I live in the country and I am sure I have gone further then that away from my house with K2 asleep. As long as the monitor works I don't see an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would do it. I don't see the different between that and going outside to get something out of your car or to get the mail...and people do that all the time.
  • Options
    No flames from me. I'd take the monitor & lock the door.
    Yes if you do this take the keys!!! 

• Options
    I would do it. I once wrangled some cattle outside my house, when Emma was younger. Babies are safe in the crib, unless they cry until they puke, which Emma never did. I dread the days that I need to take Emma to school and wake Amelia for it.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • Options
    kittyh8r said:
    I would do it. I once wrangled some cattle outside my house, when Emma was younger. Babies are safe in the crib, unless they cry until they puke, which Emma never did. I dread the days that I need to take Emma to school and wake Amelia for it.
    this is what I was thinking too, and he's usually happy when he wakes up in the morning, so I don't think he'd even notice or care if he sat there for an extra couple minutes.  Heck it usually takes me a few minutes to get to him even when we're all home.
  • Options
    I'd do it for sure.

• Options
    We do yardwork/play outside with the monitor all the time while the baby is napping in his crib and we have a fairly large yard.  I think it's fine as long as your monitor reaches.
  • Options
    I would definitely do it (and probably wouldn't have even thought about it...is that terrible? ;)

Plus waking sleeping babies is THE WORST.

• Options
    What happened to the days when we could walk to the bus
    Ourselves?!
  • Options
    I would do it. If the monitor reaches I say go as far as that baby will take you! Freedom!! Haha jk
  • Options
    Totally yes. As long as you have the monitor and lock the door - I see no issues at all.

• Options
    74dragonfly74dragonfly member
    edited August 2014

Let me preface this by saying I'm just looking for opinions, haven't actually done this.

DS1 starts kindergarten tomorrow (woo!) and the bus picks him up at 7:30am.  We live at the end of a small cul de sac street within a large residential neighborhood.  The bus stop is 2 houses down on the corner of our street and another road.  If I had to guess I'd say it's about 70 feet and within clear sight.  So here's my potentially flameworthy question, if DH is out of town and the baby is still sleeping at 7:28am, would it be awful for me to run DS1 down to the bus stop without waking the baby to take him?  His monitor signal reaches, so I could take that.  Also my neighbor and very good friend will be at the bus stop with her son so in a pinch I could walk him to the stop and leave him with her and be back to my house in less than 1 minute.  Thoughts?  

DH is out of town a lot but the baby rarely sleeps past 7:30, but when he does he will sometimes sleep until 9 or 9:30 and I get so much done on those days!!
    I think it is Fine to walk him but if you can see him the whole time why not let him walk by himself?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @74dragonfly‌ I probably will let him walk at some point, but right now he's only 5, and I don't know if I trust him not to goof around at the bus stop and possibly hop out into the street when a car was coming. Plus he's a bit apprehensive about riding the bus, starting school, etc. I'm sure at some point during his elementary school career I'll just watch him walk but I'll have to get a feel for when that will be, this is all new to us!
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    I agree with pp, if the monitor reaches I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    DS1 just started K too...LO's nap time is when I have to get him off the bus. I leave her napping in the crib, and lock the door just to be safe, although where I live, no one is really around.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD has been walking by herself to school since 2nd grade. I would let her to walk to the bus stop where there were other parents and I could see her walk in K for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"