May 2014 Moms

BF Poll - How long do you plan on BF?

gutsysneakersgutsysneakers member
edited August 2014 in May 2014 Moms
I was in the BF forum asking questions about pumping, etc. and I came across a post for those who BF past 12 months. I really haven't thought about it, but curious as to what you plan on doing or if you are a STM, what you have done. Those who EP - please feel free to vote on what you plan on doing via pumping.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BF Poll - How long do you plan on BF? 219 votes

Really? I'm trying to make it day by day at this point.
8% 18 votes
6 months
17% 38 votes
12 months
54% 120 votes
18 months
6% 15 votes
24 months +
5% 11 votes
SS
7% 17 votes

Re: BF Poll - How long do you plan on BF?

• I voted 12 mos but that's not set in stone. We'll see what happens once we introduce solids. And, it will depend on when/how I end up returning to work because I'd like to have her weaned at that point. That could be 12-15 mos.
  • Yeah, I hear you - I'm hoping to make it to 12 months, but I try to visualize small goals - so I'm trying to make it to November 19 and then set another date. So I'm day to day, but I voted for 12 months as that's been my goal from day 1. TBH, I never thought about going past 12 months. Those of you who plan on it, what are the benefits? 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Loading the player...
  • I voted 12 months and that is my goal.  I will reevaluate once I get there and see if we are both ready to stop or not.
  • I voted 6 months but I have a HUGE freezer stash so he'll be getting BM until at least 9 months hopefully 1 year from that.
  • Junebug060609Junebug060609 member
    edited August 2014
    Goal is a year. We'll wing it with weaning.

With DS he inadvertently weaned himself around 11.5 months. He was teething, getting two at once, and wasn't nursing much bc it hurt him. My supply dropped off bc I dropped the ball with pumping. He didn't want the boob anymore and I had no engorgement. Win-Win.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I voted 6 months as that's always been my goal but we'll see.  Currently I'm pumping at work and BF at home.  However I'm having supply issues so I've started supplementing.  At DC, LO gets 2 bottles of BM and 2 bottles of formula.  I pump 3 times at work, each session I only get 3 oz if I'm lucky and now LO is up to 4oz bottles and my supply isn't keeping up.  So basically I send 8 of the 9 oz I pump to DC with her and freeze the last ounce.   I BF her at night but for the last few weeks she would still be hungry so I've also added a formula bottle at night after I BF her.  It's been working really well for us since she has slept through the night for the last 5 nights!   I was so worried i was overfeeding her at first but she hasn't spit up or had any tummy issues.  And we are BOTH so much happier with getting the sleep!    So at this point I don't know what my plan is.  I think I'll keep pumping, but maybe take it down to 2 times a day.  Some days I think maybe I'll give her formula all day at DC for awhile and freeze everything I pump so I can have a stash to feed her a BM bottle a day for awhile whenever I do stop.  I don't want to stop BFing... I just love that snuggle time with LO.   I have heard of people who only do it in the mornings and at night so maybe I can at least keep that up for 6mos to a year...  Sorry this is all over the place....
  • I EP, and I voted for 12 months because that's how long I'd like DD to have breast milk. I'm hoping that my stash is good enough for me to stop having to pump around 7-8 months, though!
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • purtzpurtz member
    edited August 2014
    Ugh, I only made it 4 months with DD because my milk dried up once I went back to work and was pumping during the day versus nursing. Targeting 5 months with DS seeing how I have more time off. I have ~16 measly oz in my freezer- oh well!

• Miles2GoMiles2Go member
    edited August 2014
    I voted 24m +

It depends on the baby really. But dd is 27m and still nurses 3x/day. Tandem nursing is no joke.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • QOTRQOTR member
    I voted 12, as it's a goal.   I don't have a huge freezer stash, but my plan was to use that (being mindful of expiration dates of course) when I was done BFing to extend the time he's getting BM, but I now have a few questions for folks that have done so.
    1. If your breastmilk composition changes as the baby grows, is it a problem giving him BM from 4 months ago?
    2. I eliminated dairy recently.   If he starts drinking freezer stash exclusively, I assume that any problem that he was having due to the cow milk protein will reappear?  Or will his system be more developed by then and better able to process it?   
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • My goal with DS was 6 months, and we were doing well so I was hoping to make a year.  We made it 10.5 months.  This time my goal is a year

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Miles2Go said:
    I voted 24m + It depends on the baby really. But dd is 27m and still nursed 3x/day. Tandem nursing is no joke.

For realz?  OMG I can barely manage one squirmy 3 MO
  • I would like to make it until 2, if DS doesn't wean sooner. However, I'm focused on just EBF until 6 months right now.
  • SS. I had planned to stop a month ago, but since it's still going well, I'll keep it up until 6 months, or so.
    imageimageimage

• SS. I plan to feed from the breast until 12 months, but I am still toying with the idea of offering breast milk after 12 months in a cup.
  • I kid you not my daughter self weaned at 12 months. She was ready and so was I. Made things very easy. I plan to stop at 12 months also unless there's some medical reason I need to continue. By the year mark, I was so ready to have my body back to myself.
  • I'm voting ss because I always had a plan to go to 4-6 months before I did something different. I just stopped last night and am letting my milk dry up now. She isn't yet 4 months but I needed to get on some medication that I can't share with her!

It's a BOY

• I voted ss. Ds1 self weaned at 16 months. I plan to let DS2 self wean but will probably help it along if we get near 2 years.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I figured until he starts solids. If all keeps going well with pumping, I'll have enough in the freezer to give him one bottle of my milk a day for an extra 2 months or so.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I'm an EPer, I'd like to pump until 6 months, then rely on my stash to get us to 1 year.

imageimageimage

• I plan to do a minimum of one year and then leave it to DS how long he wants to continue. I was breastfed until 2 years old and my brother until 3. We are both happy, healthy, well adjusted adults. I do fear judgment for continuing longer than most, but I figure as a mom I'm pretty much damned if I do, damned if I don't! Everyone has an opinion about everything, so I'm learning to just feel comfortable with what works best for us.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited August 2014
    Can I change my vote?! DD just bit down on my nipple... hard. WTF DD?
    Edited: words
  • I plan in letting DD take the lead on this. My hope is up until we start solids and then maybe only nursing in the morning and/or at night.
  • I nursed Beb for 12 months.  I hope to do the same with Binn.

• purtzpurtz member
    edited August 2014
    This poll makes me feel crappy for preparing to wean at 4 months-ish. Like the hormones and mom guilt weren't enough, now I have confirmation that I'm a failure by comparison.

• I voted SS... I BF DS until he was 9 months and then the pediatrician told me to switch to formula as he wasn't gaining enough weight. So my goal for DD is 9 months maybe longer depending on how well she gains weight, or if I'm completely over it by then, then we will stop. Definitely at the year mark will my boobs be mine again!!
  • I always said 6 months and I'll try to get there even though DS is barely nursing 2x day. My supply was never great so we always supplemented then it dropped like a rock when I went back on the pill and back to work. I never liked it anyway but there are certain times DS will only take boob so I don't want to give it up entirely just yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm planning to make it to 12 months and maybe pump after that. 
  • I said 12 months but it depends on pumping while I am at work. I hate it!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • purtzpurtz member
    edited August 2014

purtz said:

This poll makes me feel crappy for preparing to wean at 4 months-ish. Like the hormones and mom guilt weren't enough, now I have confirmation that I'm a failure by comparison.

@purtz - that was NEVER my intention when I posted this poll. I am so sorry if I made you or any other Mama out there feel that way. Mom guilt is no joke and I believe that every Mom should do what's best for them and their LO. You are NOT a failure. BF is hard and I don't think we should compare ourselves to other moms. My intention of the poll was to see what other moms out there were thinking of doing or have done in the past since I really hadn't given it a thought. Again, I'm so sorry for making you feel that way. 

@Jcrewgirl85‌ - No problem, thanks for your nice response. I also nursed DD for four months and it appears she got my great immunity- hopefully DS is as lucky!

And while you ladies are all still chained to the couch nursing or busy at work pumping, I'll be hands free enjoying my LO and a few glasses of wine guilt free! ; ).

• I voted 12 months but it kind of depends if Im working or not. The goal is a minimum of 6months. As long as I'm not back at work I'll keep going until 12-18months. But if I have to pump at work everyday I might decide to wean sooner. DD1 started dropping nursing sessions around 8months. She would cry in hunger but refused the boob and would want real food. By 12 months she was down to nursing only twice a day, morning and bedtime. She weaned completely at 15months and my supply was shot from being 6m pregnant with DD2. So I'm kind of hoping DD2 will go til 12 months but only nurse a few times a day at that point. I can't see myself going past 18m even if she wanted to.
  • I always said 6 months minimum with the hope to get to 12. But it's going really well for us I'm planning on keeping at least the morning and night nursing until 18 months
  • I voted SS because I already supplement. I plan to do it as long as I can or up to a year. Whichever comes first. Even if it comes down to only one feeding per day.
  • I voted 12 months. That's always been my goal and breast feeding has gone really well for us. If we can't do that for some reason I'll be happy with at least 6 months.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • gypsymysticgypsymystic member
    edited August 2014
    My goal is 6 months, and at that point I plan on starting to introduce solids (I plan to delay solids except cereal and then make my own purees). I only got to 7 weeks with DS1 due to latching problems- he was tongue tied, actually, still is. With this guy I have a pretty low supply so we supplement, and he gets BF at night and in the mornings with 1-2 bottles worth of pumped milk from when I am at work. If I get to 6 months after all that I have been through, I will feel like supermom. ;) Also, I can't stand the mini-pill and absolutely do not want an IUD, so at that point I plan on going back on the patch and my health supplements I was taking which are not safe for breastfeeding. For right now, I am glad to say I have come to a point where bot DS and I enjoy BF though. Which may make me want to go longer.

*Edit spelling
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • Voted 12 months but I'll go longer most likely as long as ds wants it still. I'll prob consider weaning by 18-24 m if he doesn't do it himself. I won't mind if he's over 12 m and is nursing a couple times a day and at home once he's closer to 18-24 m.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I voted 24 months+ the plan is two years. But who knows!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"