November 2013 Moms
Options

Help me out here.

bglovesbabykbglovesbabyk member
edited August 2014 in November 2013 Moms
I know this might be flameworty but I'm trying to figure out what to do here. We are flying to Hawaii Friday which is a 6 hr flight. K will be sitting on our laps. My mom who is an RN, my Aunt who is a nurse, my husband who has done this with the other kids when they were babies, and my crazy ass MIL, are all telling me to give him Benadryl to make him sleep on the way over. Looking at the package of Children's Benadryl, it says not to use to make child sleepy. So I'm concerned obviously. I'm going to call his pediatrician tomorrow to check, but I want to know, honestly have any of you ever done this? Would you? 6 hrs is a long time to keep a 9 month old who is the size of a 2 year old out of trouble on a plane, but I couldn't live with myself if I somehow harmed him. HELP A SISTER OUT! WWN13DO?

Re: Help me out here.

• Options
    Not nursing. I can wear him if necessary. I probably will since I'll be carrying bags too. My husband swears that what he did with the other 4 babies is best, but being a first time mom, that's why I'm asking, wondering if I'm being overly paranoid.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok, this is going to be interesting getting my husband on board with this. Wish me luck! Thanks for your input, I needed some mom power to back up what I thought.
  • Options
    Oh Jesus, I didn't think about that. Could you imagine? Hahaha!!! Ya, not worth it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Finnaroo said:

I wouldn't do it, but I know that my mom drugged me on a few occasions. Legit risks aside, it might also jack him up. Imagine that on a flight. Not worth the risk.

Ya, if it was up to my FIL, we'd give him rum before the flight. Because that's what his parents did, and he turned out JUST FINE.:-)
    My mom used to drug us too for long car rides when she was alone.

• Options
    I'm not a fan of medicating for a flight, but we haven't flown with B yet (that's coming next week). My BFF swore by melatonin. She flies internationally with her 2 babes (3 & 1.5) pretty often. I haven't checked with my pedi, since we won't likely go that route, but thought if share in case you want to mention it to yours.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Options
    My neighbor does this all the time but I would not. What if he has a reaction and your on a plane? It seems like you have plenty of adults to help out if needed. Have a great trip!
  • Options
    I would say the same as others, not a good idea. My son was given a "sedative" before they took him in for ear tubes (before knocking him out) and it made him absolutely nutty and hyper. I don't know what it was but if Benadryl can have the same possible reaction that would be terrible for a flight.

People know babies travel with their families, anyone who acts like a jerk because you have a baby and he cries or is loud it's on them. I don't understand anyone who would be completely intolerant of a baby on a plane, that's why I used to bring earbuds with me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Finnaroo said:
    I wouldn't do it, but I know that my mom drugged me on a few occasions. Legit risks aside, it might also jack him up. Imagine that on a flight. Not worth the risk.
    I was going to mention thiis as well that for some people Benadryl has the opposite effect of drowsiness. Also I know someone who gives Benadryl to her child for stuff like that and I seriously side eye her for it. She just doesn't want to deal with her son. Also my cousin who is an officer told me that you can be arrested for drugging a child for non medical purposes. He says it's in the same line as child endangerment. If someone sees you do it they can call it in and it has to be fully investigated and the department of child services usually gets involved as well. I just don't think it's worth the risk. I would just bring things to entertain him. My boys love my iPad and there's apps for painting and drawing that are great.
  • Options
    I flew ~6 hours SOLO with G when we moved from DC to San Fran.

I'm flying solo with L from DC to CA in about 2 weeks.  I can't believe how many people are telling me to give her Benadryl! 

I've given it to her once before (allergic rash) - it didn't really tire her our or make her hyper - in fact, I didn't notice any differece (except her rash went away).  Even though I know she's OK with it, I still wouldn't consider giving it to her on the airplane.  I'll just nurse, sing, play, and hope she sleeps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"