Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Paci woes

Looking for any advice to help my little one keep his bink in his mouth! He has always been a rough sleeper, so we have been through a lot of different things in the past few months in an attempt to help him sleep better. He sleeps in a pnp in his own room and uses a pacifier to sleep. I'm not convinced he is quite ready to be completely unswaddled, but of the ones we have (summer, kiddopotamous, halo) he continues to break out...so we are trying the one arm deal. However, it seems like he HAS to have his hand at his mouth. He pulls his bink out as soon as he can and it doesn't ever get replaced (by him or my husband or I) without being pulled right back out. I've placed numerous binks in his pnp and he just continues the same put in pull back out, drop and lose routine. I've been in rebinking him every 5 minutes for 2 hours and 10 minutes now. I'm a working mama and I think DS and I are both desperate for some sleep! We also don't have the means to spend the money on the Merlin sleep suit or wombie. Any advice? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paci woes

• Options
    flclflcl member
    Ugh, that's rough.  I did read another mom post that when her LO needed the binky replaced over and over was right before her LO started sleeping through the night.  (That was the case for a girlfriend of mine.)  Maybe that's your light at the end of the tunnel.  I don't have much advice with the binky as my LO stopped taking it before he turned a month old.  Is he able to fall asleep without it?  As for the swaddle (I don't know how old your baby is), my guy kept breaking out of his (summer, easy swaddle) at 2 months and we caved into the merlin sleep suit.  It gave him access to his hands so he can suck on his thumbs and fingers.  I know you mentioned not being able to spend the money on it but that really helped us bridge the transition from swaddle to just pjs.  I'm sorry, I'm not much help.  I feel your pain with the lack of sleep as we just (hopefully) finished the 4MW.  Hang in there and GL!
  • Options
    Honestly, get rid of the binky,  It's not going to be easy if he's been using it since birth but once he learns to sleep without it, you'll wonder why you ever tried the binky in the first place.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much!  We have had a little success with one arm out of the halo sleep sack with wings...hoping it continues!  I would LOVE to get rid of the binkie though...any tips?  He is five months old and STRUGGLES trying to get it back in his mouth.  I've been trying to give him one of those little animals with a blanket attached to it to hold onto so he doesn't knock the bink out, but it only works so so.  Thanks again for your help. :)
  • Options
    Honestly, get rid of the binky,  It's not going to be easy if he's been using it since birth but once he learns to sleep without it, you'll wonder why you ever tried the binky in the first place.
    I totally agree. We recently ditched the paci, and we're all sleeping much better. We went cold turkey. Just know that you will have a few rough days at first when LO will need extra soothing, but it gets better within a week or so. Soon you'll all be sleeping better without it!
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17
  • Options
    Just curious, how does getting rid of the paci help? Our lo loves her paci.
  • Options
    My LO had more sleeping issues with a pacifier than without. It's the fact that it pops out that caused such a disturbance.

I recommend stopping the pacifier as well. I'm sure it will be hard but I believe worth it at the end.
  • Options
    My LO had more sleeping issues with a pacifier than without. It's the fact that it pops out that caused such a disturbance. I recommend stopping the pacifier as well. I'm sure it will be hard but I believe worth it at the end.

agree. the paci falling out just makes him wake up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was the crazy Mom who would try ANYTHING to prevent my daughter from sucking her thumb. I tried every binky. I finally found this kind called "Razzberry" and it made a huge difference. My daughter wanted something to chew not suck. I also purchased a Sassy brand ice cube teether shaped like Mickey Mouse. Once again, she loved to chew on the handle.
    My daughter never stayed in a swaddle. We used to call her Houdini. I used a Fisher Price rocker sleeper that had a bunny head on it. She slept in it for nearly 7 months. She loved having the sides of the rocker close. I slowly introduced the crib for naps. Then one day we just went for it. She does sleep with one of the lovey blanket animal guys near her cheek.
    Hopefully I could give you some ideas. Best wishes!!
  • Options
    You could try a wubbanub pacifier, has a small animal attached that helps hold it in their mouth. You can get than on amazon, and babies r us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"