1st Trimester
Options

Freaking out about under eye cream and facial cleansers

Im officially freaking out right about now. I am 12 weeks pregnant and I have been using under eye cream and facial cleansers. I just came across an article that stated that under eye cream and facial cleansers for acne are bad for your baby!!!! Im freaked out that I a have affected my baby! Has anyone else used eye cream and acne wipes or facial cleansers while pregnant and their baby came out just fine? Has anyone talked to their Obgyn about products for the face? I am obviously going to stop using these products now but I'm just flipping out and need some input.

Re: Freaking out about under eye cream and facial cleansers

• Options
    The products that are bad tend to only slightly increase your risk, so I wouldn't worry too much. :) Definitely talk to your doctor, though. There's a database regarding toxic chemicals in toiletries, although it's not terribly user friendly.
    https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
    You can look up what you used there, and see what the bad ingredients are.
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    From what I have read, cleansers are not so bad because they don't sit on your skin. Maybe that will ease your mind a little bit. I would suggest that you just stop using them until you talk to your doctor.

Out of curiosity, what is in the eye cream that has you so worried?

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm pretty sure OTC stuff is fine.  If it's medicated stuff from a doctor, give them a call.

Stay calm. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just found I am pregnant and am only 5 weeks along but have been reading up on some of the things I have to give up like you did.  I read that there are a lot of ingredients in shampoos, cleanser and lotions that have parabens and all of those other confusing names in them.  Are they that bad that I have to completely switch up everything that goes on my body and face or is this something just thrown out there to freak every new mom-to-be out?
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! My eye cream is called HOPE from ulta. It doesn't list the ingredients on the bottle(it was on the original package) I'm sure i can find them online somewhere. I will contact my doctor to find out what they think.
  • Options
    Foodies1 said:
    Thanks ladies! My eye cream is called HOPE from ulta. It doesn't list the ingredients on the bottle(it was on the original package) I'm sure i can find them online somewhere. I will contact my doctor to find out what they think.
    Do you mean Philosophy Eye Hope? If I am not mistaken, that one has retinol in it. Again, ask your doctor but I would probably stop using it until then.

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    @emmyb65 said:
    The Environmental Working Group isn't a credible source (more here and here). 
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't see a better recommendation there, which is frustrating.

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options

I have never even checked the ingredients on my face cream to see if ok while pregnant never even crossed my mind to check.

• Options
    There are far worse things to worry about. Don't stress yourself out. If it makes you feel better stop using the stuff, but unless you're eating it or it's prescription you're likely just fine.
  • Options
    I don't about you guys, but if I know a product has parabens or other harmful chemicals in it, there is no way I could continue to use it. While it may or may not effect the child, is it really worth the risk?
    Just my opinion anyway - I would do the research and see what products include harmful ingredients and just toss them. :)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    The only part of my routine I had to stop was medicated, prescription face wash. (Clearly said on the bottle not to use while pregnant or bfing) I've continued to use the same products besides.

Do whatever you are comfortable with :)
    ----

• Options
    pblgepblge member
    edited August 2014
    I don't about you guys, but if I know a product has parabens or other harmful chemicals in it, there is no way I could continue to use it. While it may or may not effect the child, is it really worth the risk?
    Just my opinion anyway - I would do the research and see what products include harmful ingredients and just toss them. :)
    If a product is too dangerous to use while pregnant, it's too dangerous to use while NOT pregnant.
    Not true, obviously. There are lots of things that are bad for fetuses that are not risky for non-pregnant people. It IS true that the risks for some of these chemicals have not been thoroughly established, but some people want or need to be more cautious. I haven't read the research on parabens myself, so I don't know the concentrations that are deemed harmful, but with a history of multiple miscarriages, I definitely plan on doing everything I possibly can do protect the developing fetus, and if it seems crazy or "lol" to people, that's fine.

ETA: Meant to also say that your skin is porous; eating things isn't the only way that toxic chemicals can get into your body.

• Options

pblge said:

If a product is too dangerous to use while pregnant, it's too dangerous to use while NOT pregnant.

Not true, obviously. There are lots of things that are bad for fetuses that are not risky for non-pregnant people. 

Elaborate, please. 

Anything teratogenic, meaning is harmful to a developing fetus. Alcohol, clearly, and retinol as an example of a skin product. Also safe exposure levels of chemicals tend to be a lot lower during pregnancy. The problem with the chemicals in cosmetics is that very few have been studied for safety during pregnancy. In the US chemicals are considered safe until proven otherwise (hard to do and expensive) but it's just the opposite in other places.

I know these are low probability risks, but some people want to be more cautious than others.

• Options
    I modified my beauty routine once I found out I was pregnant. It's most important to me to avoid phthalates, parabens, SLS, formaldehyde, toluene, but you can do your own research on those things. 

Wet N Wild makes $2 nail polish that is formaldehyde free and toluene free.
    Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner is free of SLS 
    Physician's Formula makes some beauty products that are free of parabens and phthalates.
    Lotions I like are the Honest company brand face & Body lotion, Avalon Organics, and Burt's Bee's.

Most of this stuff you can find at Walgreen's or CVS.

It's good to make healthy changes to your beauty routine, but try not to stress over every ingredient! People have healthy babies all the time without switching out any makeups or perfumes. :)
  • Options

pblge said:

Not true, obviously. There are lots of things that are bad for fetuses that are not risky for non-pregnant people. 

Elaborate, please. 

Well, the classic (albeit extreme) example would be thalidomide. Alcohol for another. Teratogens affect rapidly developing cells more than ho-hum ones.

Didn't check whether I should use affect/effect, but since I didn't know off the top of my head feel free to harumph regardless.
  • Options
    @Argylebride - You got it!

• Options
    pblgepblge member
    edited August 2014
    The judgment on this thread has gone entirely in one direction. No one has said anything about what other women should or should not do, aside from those who have ridiculed the OP and others who are concerned about chemical exposures. I honestly don't get it. If you think someone is being paranoid or overly cautious, fine. Then you can so say (preferably politely). There's no need to make fun of them. If you're comfortable working with chemicals, fabulous! No one said you shouldn't be. So why be intentionally derisive and demeaning? Why not respect that others are going to made different decisions from you?

• Options
    katehgee said:
    The judgment on this thread has gone entirely in one direction. No one has said anything about what other women should or should not do, aside from those who have ridiculed the OP and others who are concerned about chemical exposures. I honestly don't get it. If you think someone is being paranoid or overly cautious, fine. Then you can so say (preferably politely). There's no need to make fun of them. If you're comfortable working with chemicals, fabulous! No one said you shouldn't be. So why be intentionally derisive and demeaning? Why not respect that others are going to made different decisions from you?
    Try as you might, I don't think you're going to be able to single-handedly change the whole tone of The Bump.
    True. I'm experiencing some culture shock, as I'm coming from the Infertility board, where everyone is pretty supportive and respectful. Wayward or rude posters get shot down quickly and politely, and it's very rare to have anything resembling the snark fests I see elsewhere. I feel like I just stepped into a virtual Mean Girls.

• Options
    katehgee said:
    But there are way too many stupid questions out here on the other boards that deserve and recieve major snark. Every board I've been on here on TB is pretty puppy and rainbow free, and honestly I'd be running far away if that weren't the case. Those wanting only pleasant responses regardless of the level of stupid in the question should post on one of the other silly sites.
    My point is that I don't think this one was a stupid question, especially if OP's face stuff contained Retinol, and it still got lots of snark and ridicule.

• Options
    pblge said:
    katehgee said:
    But there are way too many stupid questions out here on the other boards that deserve and recieve major snark. Every board I've been on here on TB is pretty puppy and rainbow free, and honestly I'd be running far away if that weren't the case. Those wanting only pleasant responses regardless of the level of stupid in the question should post on one of the other silly sites.
    My point is that I don't think this one was a stupid question, especially if OP's face stuff contained Retinol, and it still got lots of snark and ridicule.
    Very true!! Many skin care products do contain Retinol. It has been proven to help with all sorts of skin ailments from warts, to melasma, to wrinkles. Just because it is not prescription strenght, does not mean that it is not going to do harm to your developing baby.

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I going to digress for a moment. The human race is very robust, women's bodies are built for this and been doing this for thousands of years. But I've always thought that was a silly argument because it can't be applied on an individual scale, only a population-wide one. Individual humans are not protected under evolution's grand plan, which should be obvious given that childbirth used to be one of, if not the, top killers of young women. Infant mortality was even worse. To come back this specific thread, the tone has really not been arm- flailing. The most ridiculous bits have been the total denial that anything exists that is bad for baby while fine for mom. There is personal choice, which is how you decide to interpret the facts at your disposal--ie everyone needs to decide for themselves what risks are acceptable versus unacceptable. And then there are the facts themselves, which don't give a rat's ass about anyone's opinion--ie teratogens are not a myth. Joy can look at the materials safety data sheets for the chemicals in her lab and make her own damn decision but she's not, I assume, going to laugh at the sheets and imply they're being silly.
    Absolutely.

• Options
    I going to digress for a moment. The human race is very robust, women's bodies are built for this and been doing this for thousands of years. But I've always thought that was a silly argument because it can't be applied on an individual scale, only a population-wide one. Individual humans are not protected under evolution's grand plan, which should be obvious given that childbirth used to be one of, if not the, top killers of young women. Infant mortality was even worse. To come back this specific thread, the tone has really not been arm- flailing. The most ridiculous bits have been the total denial that anything exists that is bad for baby while fine for mom. There is personal choice, which is how you decide to interpret the facts at your disposal--ie everyone needs to decide for themselves what risks are acceptable versus unacceptable. And then there are the facts themselves, which don't give a rat's ass about anyone's opinion--ie teratogens are not a myth. Joy can look at the materials safety data sheets for the chemicals in her lab and make her own damn decision but she's not, I assume, going to laugh at the sheets and imply they're being silly.
    Im assuming the "arm flailing" comes from the OP use of "Im freaking out/flipping out" and asking  "Has anyone else used eye cream and acne wipes or facial cleansers while pregnant and their baby came out just fine?" 

Obviously there are tons of women that have used OTC products and nothing has happened to their babies.  So the answer to that question was a resounding yes.  I don't think that equals denial that anything exist that is bad for baby.  Clearly if she is taking anything prescription strength she should consult her doctors, which was stated, I believe, by another PP.  If she has any concerns about anything she is using full stop she should consult her doctor, not doctor google and not strangers on the internet.  
  • Options
    Yes, that was indubitably a poorly phrased question. One assumes there was dramatic hyperbole there. But we all know that lots of OTC products are considered unsafe for pregnant women, and there are chemicals in many "beauty products" that either haven't been tested at all or have some evidence of harm. I still think this is a very valid topic (maybe not her particular question) to discuss, and one about which reasonable people will disagree.

And what is this forum for if not for discussing issues like this that are of interest to (at least some) women in early pregnancy? For serious questions, yes, we should all ask our doctor, but that likely means asking him or her at the next appointment that might be weeks away. If you're lucky, you might be able to get a phone call returned about a topic like this, but I don't think that asking questions like this is EXACTLY what should be going on in this forum. And if women are tired of or can't resist snarking at all the "stupid" "arm flailing" questions that come up for 1st trimester ladies, then perhaps they should *move on* when their own first trimester is over.

• Options
    pblge said:
    Yes, that was indubitably a poorly phrased question. One assumes there was dramatic hyperbole there. But we all know that lots of OTC products are considered unsafe for pregnant women, and there are chemicals in many "beauty products" that either haven't been tested at all or have some evidence of harm. I still think this is a very valid topic (maybe not her particular question) to discuss, and one about which reasonable people will disagree.

And what is this forum for if not for discussing issues like this that are of interest to (at least some) women in early pregnancy? For serious questions, yes, we should all ask our doctor, but that likely means asking him or her at the next appointment that might be weeks away. If you're lucky, you might be able to get a phone call returned about a topic like this, but I don't think that asking questions like this is EXACTLY what should be going on in this forum. And if women are tired of or can't resist snarking at all the "stupid" "arm flailing" questions that come up for 1st trimester ladies, then perhaps they should *move on* when their own first trimester is over.

You have an entire plan mapped out for redoing this board huh?

Obviously there are things that are dangerous for developing fetuses. This thread is about general face wash and eye cream. It's common sense. Prescription strength or prescription stuff in entirely different. Again, I'm not freaking out over my shampoo or BaBW lotions because that would be silly. Asking if they're okay to use, fine. But worrying yourself into a tizzy over it? No. If something so minuscule sets someone off that badly I wonder how they're able to even leave the house,
  • Options

crunchymamaof2 said:
    You have an entire plan mapped out for redoing this board huh?
    Nope, I'm just a newbie on the board who expected to find a place where supportive women would discuss issues of interest to those in the first trimester, and instead I found...this place. Some of that does manage to happen, of course, but it's at risk of getting snarked into silence. As many have said here, it's totally cool to tell OP (or anyone similar) she's being overly paranoid, but some of the comments above were just unconstructive, disrespectful, and obnoxious. (And those seemed to be the ones that got the "likes," indicating that that's the sort of behavior that at least some of the ladies here want to encourage.)

I'm obviously fighting a losing battle here, so don't worry--I'll be giving up and you ladies can resume your snarkfest uncriticized.

• Options

I don't think she's going to like her BMB either.

Now I know why her SN seemed familiar, she got flamed & GBCB'ed  on TTCAL...

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12374606/intro-about-to-reach-the-edd-without-getting-pregnant-again#latest

I knew she looked familiar!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    pblge said:

OMG with this!  Everyone is free to comment on any board they like.  It has been said many times by many new commenters if the vets didn't come on 1st tri and offer advice there would be crazy amounts of freak out, over reacting, fear mongering post.  The level of misinformation spread would be ridiculous.  Let me point you towards Listerine and chewing gum girl.  
  • Options
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12374606/intro-about-to-reach-the-edd-without-getting-pregnant-again#latest I knew she looked familiar!
    Holy shitz! Well that was bananas.  It never ever fails that the posters who come in WKing all over the damn place are the ones who go from 0 to butthurt in 5 seconds.  They see abuse in the benign comments and never see when they are in the wrong.  Ever.   
  • Options
    The IF board was all warm and fuzzies to her she says. Culture shock yo.
  • Options
    bumwaters said:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12374606/intro-about-to-reach-the-edd-without-getting-pregnant-again#latest I knew she looked familiar!
    That whole thing made me angry, sad, and disgusted. Wtf.

I agree. The wonderful ladies on here were so kind to her and yet she kept spewing such disgusting vile. I can't even.
  • Options
    @pblge‌ ,you've only just showed up here and you already annoy the ever living fuck out of me. Knock it off. And apologize for your shitty words in the other thread. 'Pregnant whore of a doctor'?! That is so gross of you.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well, this has gone well for everyone, hasn't it?

Just so everyone here knows, I DID apologize.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12381670/an-apology#latest

We're done here. Take care, ladies.

• Options
    pblge said:

Well, this has gone well for everyone, hasn't it?

Just so everyone here knows, I DID apologize.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12381670/an-apology#latest

We're done here. Take care, ladies.

Forgive me if I don't really believe you. I wish you the best, but you've GBCB'd before.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"