September 2014 Moms

Nursing Pillows

So, I searched through the threads and couldn't find anything on the different nursing pillows available.

My sister got me the Born Free Bliss nursing pillow and I think I'm going to return it. It seemed pretty large and I tried just holding it on my lap and that was a balancing act without an infant. It's also very tall and my boobs are not perky enough to sit at a good angle relative to the top of the pillow.
 I was debating between the Boppy and the My Brest Friend pillows and was wondering what you all thought. Any experiences with the above pillows? What worked best for you?
{Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
{DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
~Love and Light to everyone~ 
image image
My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image

Re: Nursing Pillows

• I have the boppy and loved it with my first. I'm pretty large chested and it worked well with breastfeeding for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have both the boppy and the my breast friend. I think it just comes down to your preference. I preferred the boppy, but I've heard so many good things about the other one. One thing I like with the boppy is you can use it beyond a nursing pillow. When lo was learning to sit up, we'd have it around them so they didn't smack their head.
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved my boppy and will be using it again!
  • I just washed my boppy cover today and will be using it again with this baby.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • I'm a FTM, so I don't have prior experience, but the nurse running the breastfeeding class I attended said that her preference and recommendation for moms is My Breast Friend. When someone in the class asked about Boppy, she said she believed their quality was pretty comparable so she would just go with whichever one was cheapest. I was gifted a Boppy and it seems like a good size for me, so that's what I'll be using.  
  • I have a hand me down Boppy and one of the ones from nursing pillows.com that had the coupon to make it free for shipping. Based on just sitting with them, I feel like the Boppy will be good for at home (it's huge) and the other one I might take with me. It's smaller and much more transportation friendly.

imageimage

• A friend of mine told me that she always felt the Boppy was just easier to handle, because you don't have to strap it on. One of my friends started with the my Brest friend and then switched to a Boppy because of the same reason.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• I'm another one that loves my boppy! It's the only nursing pillow I've used so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I don't think I would like the design of My Breast Friend.
    photo dca9b006-0f54-4503-ad9d-536560d9d80f.jpg
    Mr C born 10/25/11  Miss M born 9/11/14
  • I loved my Boppy the first time around, but I found a great deal on the My Breast Friend pillow for this time around.  We'll see which one wins out once baby gets here.
  • I had a Boppy with DD and absolutely loved it. I'm trying the Mombo this time around.
  • I was hoping that the MBF would get me all set up, Michelle Duggar style, like one hand holding up pillow baby, and free to walk around, but I just never got good at nursing on the go. My boobs are saggy and I felt like I needed two hands to get the job done. I'll still try it again this time though, since I have it.
    image        image
  • bbadger22bbadger22 member
    edited August 2014
    I have both and much preferred the my Breast friend. I found that with the boppy baby would fall between the pillow and me. The my breast friend had a tighter fit which I preferred!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love love love the my brest friend pillow. Fwiw both of my kiddos are pretty small, and it held then perfectly in place. Not sure how it would be with bigger babies. I like that it straps on bcs I can walk around then sit back down and it's in just the right spot. Plus the lower back support is nice.

DD1, born 4/10/11 at 32 weeks
    Cooking #2 :)  Due 9/18/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SingleMom31SingleMom31 member
    edited August 2014
    I had a boppy with DD1 and wasn't a fan. I ended up just using a normal couch pillow, which worked better for us. I think my issue is that I'm larger (size 14-16 pre-pregnancy), and I never felt like it fit around me comfortably. That said, I loved using it to sit DD up in so that she was facing me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• I have a boppy given to me by my sister in law who swears by them. She used one for all three of her babies. I like that they're multipurpose.
  • The Boppy is great for propping baby up when they are little, but I found it worthless for breast feeding. I much prefer the Brest friend. It straps to your waist, has a raised area for baby's head, is nice and firm and baby doesn't slip between you and the pillow. Much more supportive. The Boppy was frustrating in that sense and the last thing you need as a new nursing mother are more frustrations.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I highly recommend the Boppy! Get a few extra covers too because baby is bound to make a mess on one of them.
  • Breast friend is far and away best for newborns as it is nice and firm, IMHO. I used it for a long time and totally didn't care if I had a pillow to prop my infant in later. I could totally walk around and help my older one while nursing baby #2 because it strapped on. I realize it's not what the cool kids are using but I love using the ones at work for helping new moms for the same reason, firm with tons of support!
    Newborns are floppy and need it. The boppy feels like a stack of soft pillows.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• I had a super comfy chair and a regular pillow or two that I used sometimes with dd2. I didn't want to become dependent on another item that I had to take places with me so it was more important to me that I did without.

I would totally use a boppy occasionally for when baby is hanging out and lounging but it's personal choice and use what works best for you. I have heard great reviews on both brands.
  • I have a boppy and I loved it with DD she used it up until she learned to sit, then I used it to sleep with. It also helped a lot after my CS I could hold it tight to my belly when I moved, coughed, or sneezed. I don't have any experience with the breast friend pillow.
  • I loved my Boppy.  It was a shower gift.  I didn't try anything else, so have nothing to compare it to.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • JustCricketJustCricket member
    edited August 2014
    right now I'm really happy with my breast friend. I've only had a chance to use it a few times and a bit for bottle feeding, but I like how its at a good level, has back support (which is AWESOME), and really puts baby up at the level you need him/her. But I'm sure this varies with every baby/mom. So far, I'm happy with the purchase. (eta- or in my case this was a gift b/c it was on my registry and the boppy wasn't)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I Definately preferred my breast friend over the boppy.
  • I used My Brest Friend with DS and I'm planning on buying a new one from them the second time around too. My sister just had a baby girl and she's got the "Deluxe" nursing pillow (https://www.mybrestfriend.com/products/deluxe-pillow) which I really prefer since the fabric is so much softer.
  • I loved my boppy! It does let baby slide between you and it but I liked that so I guess that just comes down to personal preference. I used my boppy with DD1 and when she started holding her own bottle and sippies she liked to lay back in it. Even until she was way old! It actually never got put up. It was still in our den when LO arrived!
  • I have both and prefer my Brest friend. Baby rolls around too much on boppy. My Brest friend is a firm flat surface and I can get up ands walk around and pretty much be hands free with it. I also have an oversupply so have to nurse laying back so is perfect for that since is strapped to you.
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • I have a Jolly Jumper pillow which I think is identical to the Boppy. I am short waisted and have medium sized breasts and I love it -- it's the perfect height and firmness for me;

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"