Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Crib bumper pads

Did you use bumper pads on your crib?
I liked the way they looked and it seemed like it would be more comfortable for the baby but I recently read that it's better not to use them as a precaution against SIDS.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crib bumper pads

• Options
    This is a hot topic. Some people are absolutely against it, others don't see the problem. I decided I don't want to take the risk. I bought mesh bumpers, but returned them because they didn't fit my crib rails correctly. We had a day or two where she was getting her legs caught in the slats, but now she has no problem getting them out. I think that a decorated room and fun, printed sheets look just as nice without a bumper.
  • Options
    No bumper. Not recommended due to suffocation hazard.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LittleAppleLittleApple member
    edited August 2014
    I used them with all three kids.  Most people choose not to use them though.  It is all about what you feel comfortable with.  I never felt that my kids were in danger.

It is not SIDS, but suffocation hazards that are the issue.  With SIDS, you really cannot prevent it.  Most babies die not because of SIDS but suffocation.  People are always mixing these up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    One of the websites with a lot of info on SIDS sited bumper pads as a potential hazard.

@LittleApple  Why did you use bumper pads - was it for the comfort or safety of the baby or just the look. I like them but trying to decide if LO needs them.  Do babies limbs get stuck between railings? Do they bump their heads?  Thanks.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Has anyone tried wonder bumpers?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I was never comfortable with using a normal bumper but we do have a mesh bumper. Bumpers in general are typically not recomended but I think it is whatever you are comfortable with. I bought a bedding set that included bumpers and now use them for the top of the crib railing since DS is now able to stand and was chewing on his crib.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Thanks, everyone.  I've taken bumper pads off my registry list.  :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My sister has a mesh bumper because her baby started sticking his limbs through the crib while sleeping and she was worried about him getting hurt.  Granted, he was well past the newborn stage when she installed them.  She likes the mesh ones, and my mom who's a nurse educator and her hubby, a D.O., have both given their blessings on the mesh kind.   Still, proceed with caution and at your own risk as I don't believe bumpers of any kind are recommended in general.  (Oh, also -- sister took down the bumper once her son was standing at his crib on his own and was stepping on the bumper)
  • Options
    FWIW, if your baby starts putting his or her legs through the crib rails, just put them in a sleep sack. They make super lightweight sleep sacks so you can use them in the summer too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"