February 2013 Moms

I should be pissed

...but I guess I'm still shocked. Yesterday when I went to pick DD up at daycare, I was reading her daily sheet. They had mac and cheese for lunch and strawberries for snack. Ummm obviously I must be reading this incorrectly since strawberries are the one food she can't eat due to previous bad reactions and therefore possible allergy.

So I asked and they said she was so excited to eat them that she ate her bowl and another kids'.  When I explained the issue they checked their list and said it wasn't on there. This really annoyed me bc I know they were told by both me and DH. They said she was totally fine and even had a great nap (not what I want to hear at that point).  The teachers are really great and DD was fine and I guess not allergic so I didn't make a big deal about. I don't want to kick up a stink, or get anyone in trouble but I'm a little frustrated. 

I guess its helping to get it off my chest here. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I should be pissed

• Mind if I ask: when she last had strawberries? How old was she? Is it possible it was an early age intolerance that she has gotten over (especially if she had no reaction now)?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Rosebean said:
    Mind if I ask: when she last had strawberries? How old was she? Is it possible it was an early age intolerance that she has gotten over (especially if she had no reaction now)?

It was probably around 13-14 months old. She threw up after eating them three times. We weren't 100% it was the strawberries but it seemed the likely cause so we thought there may be a chance of an allergy. Very likely it was an early intolerance. We were afraid to try again bc if it was real she could have had a more severe reaction.
  • Loading the player...
  • luxannie said:
    I'm sorry. I would've been frustrated, and really more just worried, too. I'm glad she's ok. With my limited knowledge of food allergies, a reaction would've happened by now if there was going to be one. So hopefully she's doing ok.

I get why you'd be frustrated and angry, but on the other hand I couldn't blame daycare too much. It was just an oversight.

Yeah she's fine and there is no allergy so it's good and the reason I didn't lose it! Lol. It's just annoying that we told them and they didn't write it down.
  • I would be livid that they had no record of her allergies. What if she genuinely had been allergic! I would definitely bring it up with the director. Maybe preface it by saying, luckily dd was clearly fine, but XYZ about the issue. State the previous reaction and how you had strawberries listed as an allergy, and point out that clearly something was wrong because the file was incomplete.

Allergies are serious business and if this happened once, it's probably happened before. Maybe suggest you are relieved that everything is okay, but suggest that maybe that they have a records review week and especially stress filling out allergies.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I'm glad she can eat strawberries now, but I am extremely concerned they didn't have her allergies on record. I'd double check her records for other oversights and just be extra sure they're writing down the important things you tell them.

It was just an oversight, but could have been a truly devastating one if she were truly allergic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"